Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #436
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,494
man im having trouble with my 97 vfr750, the brand new oem honda pump i bought wont stop flowing (mistubishi pump). facet 40171 and 40177 pumps coming

glass

GlassAnkles screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 08:39 AM
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #437
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,656
Question

I vapor locked today for the first time ever. Went to roll out of work and the bike died on me mid-turn, damn near dropped it, but managed a save.

Popped my fuel caps open and the bike fired up and ran fine.

Struck me as odd because I have done the 'flapendectomy', the canister removal, and have both tanks vented to atmosphere.

It was hot today, upper 90s, and the bike was out in the sun all day. But that's nothing new...not sure why this happened today.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #438
cotrailrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I'm using the Facet kit from CJDesigns, the lines run from the crossover valves and eliminates the petcock. 3 months with zero issues. (ps. I have never shut off the crossover valves and I have not had any siphon problems)
2004 Beta 270 Rev3
cotrailrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #439
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Facet 40171 failure - 20k

Just wanted to share my recent experience; Facet 40171 failure after 2.5 years and just over 20k miles. Coming back from a week in Yellowstone/Tetons my 05.5 950 ADV cut out and died just outside of Reno. Checked fuses and connections, pump still clicked with keyed power, bike would start and run for 2-3 minutes and then sputter and fail again. After a few very short attempts to keep going I called for a rescue and dragged her home.

My inital thoughts were bad fuel (I had just fueled up), clogged fuel filter or jets because the pump still clicked at inital power and the bike would run for a minute of two, then sputter and die. I drained the fuel and added a fresh gallon, fired the bike, same results. However, when I tried to restart again there was no joy; the engine would just turn and turn and never fire. I also noticed that the fuel pump was no longer "clicking" when I switched power on. I had a spare 40105 built and ready, swapped it out today, runs like a champ again. Replacement 40171 on the way, but I do find it frustrating that replacement lasted no longer than the OEM pump. Just a heads up for us Facet users; YMMV.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #440
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383

OH, OH! Thanks Mike for the heads up. I have over 20K on mine.Im thinking I should buy and carry a spare.

StevefrmGV screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 09:14 AM Reason: edit
StevefrmGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #441
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
What are your riding habits? Is your KTM a daily driver? Weekend or trips only?

If you use your bike all the time, the pump is used more. But if it is not used every day, maybe something inside the pump stuck/froze in place? The whole leaving a bike to sit for a long time is harder on the bike than using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike955i View Post
Just wanted to share my recent experience; Facet 40171 failure after 2.5 years and just over 20k miles. Coming back from a week in Yellowstone/Tetons my 05.5 950 ADV cut out and died just outside of Reno. Checked fuses and connections, pump still clicked with keyed power, bike would start and run for 2-3 minutes and then sputter and fail again. After a few very short attempts to keep going I called for a rescue and dragged her home.

My inital thoughts were bad fuel (I had just fueled up), clogged fuel filter or jets because the pump still clicked at inital power and the bike would run for a minute of two, then sputter and die. I drained the fuel and added a fresh gallon, fired the bike, same results. However, when I tried to restart again there was no joy; the engine would just turn and turn and never fire. I also noticed that the fuel pump was no longer "clicking" when I switched power on. I had a spare 40105 built and ready, swapped it out today, runs like a champ again. Replacement 40171 on the way, but I do find it frustrating that replacement lasted no longer than the OEM pump. Just a heads up for us Facet users; YMMV.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #442
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
OH, OH! Thanks Mike for the heads up. I have over 20K on mine.Im thinking I should buy and carry a spare.
Agreed
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #443
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75monza View Post
What are your riding habits? Is your KTM a daily driver? Weekend or trips only?

If you use your bike all the time, the pump is used more. But if it is not used every day, maybe something inside the pump stuck/froze in place? The whole leaving a bike to sit for a long time is harder on the bike than using it.
My 950 is used mainly for distance trips and then dual sport use. Most of the last 20k has been collected during a 3 month Alaska trip last summer and week+ trips to Death Valley and Yellowstone this year, as well as some local DS day trips locally. Definitely not a daily driver; it might sit for 2-3 weeks at a time until some DS day trip comes along or I decide to travel. I have other bikes that do day to day duty.

My long trips are usually plenty of paved miles followed by lots of exploring of local dirt routes, some of which get pretty rough. I've had plenty of water crossing, sand washes and rocky trails under the wheels, but lots of gravel roads too. The bike has plenty of scars to show for its history. As for the pump failing from infrequent use, I was on day 10 of my Yellowstone trip and at the end of 2 full days in the saddle getting home; she had been run long and hard all 10 days. When it died, it was immediate. If anything, I'm wondering if the failure was related to heat as it was 100+ coming through Nevada. Regardless, I'll be treating the fuel pump like the water pump from here on out and replace it about every 20k mile (and have a spare ready at home). Hope this answered your question.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #444
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,518
From what I've read the Facet is used in aircraft to transfer fuel between tanks, not to feed fuel to the engines. I would think in that case it's not running constantly as it is in our application. A service life of 20k miles is certainly reasonable. At under $60 it's a disposable item.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #445
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
A service life of 20k miles is certainly reasonable. At under $60 it's a disposable item.
My 1st Facet 40171 gave in after some 10k miles and the second now has 20 k. I always keep a spare on (the few) long trips. +1 "disposable item"
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #446
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Vaccum hose on stock pump

I recently bought a 06 950 ADV. the canister, flap, and smog plates have beeen taken care of by PO.
However I'm about to take off for a couple of weeks and mostly off-road solo. I am changing out the stock fuel pump witht the facet (already have it and sealed it). There is a vaccum hose coming of the stock pumper, What do I do with that???
Thanks for any help in advance.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #447
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Never mind, just pulled it apart and it seems to be a breather line for the points.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #448
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
Xactly.

Have a good trip.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #449
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,865
These failing pumps are scary.
How hard would it be to mount a second one on there? I know a lot of guys do it on trucks, one fails, you fire up the other one.
Another thing, Is the pump needed all the time? Will gravity not feed the carb till the tank is under half? If this was the case, is there any need for the pump to run all the time?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #450
booger1
Studly Adventurer

After spending some time in there like many of you have, I don't see any room to mount a 2nd unless adding another gallon of fuel lines.
Mine didn't fail but after taking it apart, it was in the near future. Good call on my part.