Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #466
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
okay thanks. I set them to 3mm last time I was in there. I'll try a little higher.

So finally got them set to 3.2mm and tried it around the yard. Same problem. Engine cuts out when hitting a small bump. Fires right back up, runs great, power seems fine, doesn't smell rich.

Fuck it. Going back to the stock fuel pump. I'll carry around some spare point. Didn't have these problems before the switch to the Facet pump.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #467
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
I'll carry around some spare point. .

Dr Bean has some new kits made up. Got one coming.....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #468
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Question

Please dont flame me, but why not go with OEM pump and carry spare. If it fails out on trail, swap with spare. Upon returning home rebuild broken pump with new points. If on extended trip, carry spare pump and new points. It wont take that much room, and you know it will work.
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #469
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 340
Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
Please dont flame me, but why not go with OEM pump and carry spare. If it fails out on trail, swap with spare. Upon returning home rebuild broken pump with new points. If on extended trip, carry spare pump and new points. It wont take that much room, and you know it will work.
I've got an OEM pump bubble wrapped and duct taped under seat. $149.00. Simple.

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #470
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
... but why not go with OEM pump and carry spare...
I carry a spare Facet and filter under the seat, wired, plumbed, and ready to go. I think it was $65 and packs much smaller than the stock pump. You don't have the option of a rebuild if it goes bad but life if full of trade-offs.

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #471
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
40171 Failures?

I have been watching this thread intermittently. Are there really that many documented 40171 failures out there?

I have run one on my SM for 20k miles with no issues. I have also run these pumps successfully on dune buggies with no problems. Nothing is 100% foolproof.

I am a little skeptical that a faulty pump is causing a stumble. Full float bowls should carry you over momentary disruptions in fuel deliveries to the carbs. Other problem......float level, electrical??

I am not religous about the Facet. But I have found them to be affordable and dependable. Having said that, I would probably try a vacuum pump if reworking.....Just because I like to tinker

FWIW
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #472
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Another One Bites The Dust

The 950 left me stranded today. It started stumbling as if running out of fuel. The engine would crank, crank, crank but no fire. I pushed it to a nearby gas station and topped up the tanks thinking I could get a gravity feed. Still no fire. Moved it over to the parking lot and started checking. Dropped the skid plate, put one hand on the Facet and turned the key. It hummed as I thought it should. Pulled the hose from the output side of the pump and turned it on. Pump hummed but no fuel coming out. I do carry a spare pump under my seat (see post 2 up from here) so I pulled out the old and installed the new, leaving off the output hose. Quickly turned the pump on and off and a big yellow wad, like blowing your nose with a head cold, came flying out. Turned on the pump again and beautiful clear fuel was flowing . Reassembled everything and was back on the road in maybe 20 mins total. Tomorrow's project is check out the old pump to see if it's salvageable. If not, I'll have to order another spare for under the seat.

Because of the yellow wad, I can't say this was a pump failure. I have filters on both the input and output side of the pump so if it was contaminated gas I don't know why the filter didn't stop it.

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #473
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
.... Quickly turned the pump on and off and a big yellow wad, like blowing your nose with a head cold, came flying out. Turned on the pump again and beautiful clear fuel was flowing . Reassembled everything and was back on the road in maybe 20 mins total. Tomorrow's project is check out the old pump to see if it's salvageable. If not, I'll have to order another spare for under the seat.

Because of the yellow wad, I can't say this was a pump failure. I have filters on both the input and output side of the pump so if it was contaminated gas I don't know why the filter didn't stop it.

Dave
Way to go Dave... looking forward to what you may find what this Yellow Stuff was. Ethanol (precipitated), or Disolved Fiberglass Fuel Tank from Gas Stations?
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #474
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
The 950 left me stranded today. It started stumbling as if running out of fuel. The engine would crank, crank, crank but no fire. I pushed it to a nearby gas station and topped up the tanks thinking I could get a gravity feed. Still no fire. Moved it over to the parking lot and started checking. Dropped the skid plate, put one hand on the Facet and turned the key. It hummed as I thought it should. Pulled the hose from the output side of the pump and turned it on. Pump hummed but no fuel coming out. I do carry a spare pump under my seat (see post 2 up from here) so I pulled out the old and installed the new, leaving off the output hose. Quickly turned the pump on and off and a big yellow wad, like blowing your nose with a head cold, came flying out. Turned on the pump again and beautiful clear fuel was flowing . Reassembled everything and was back on the road in maybe 20 mins total. Tomorrow's project is check out the old pump to see if it's salvageable. If not, I'll have to order another spare for under the seat.

Dave
How many miles on that pump, Dave? I just replaced my facet with a new one, preventative maintenance. Old one had 27k on it, will be carried as a spare on long trips now.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #475
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Quote:
Tomorrow's project is check out the old pump to see if it's salvageable. If not, I'll have to order another spare for under the seat.

Dave
Today I flushed out the old pump and it seemed to be pumping fine. I reinstalled it with fresh filters and everything appears to be running properly. I have no idea what the yellow crap was. I have the spare pump, along with another set of filters, under the seat in case this pump goes south again.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #476
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Today I flushed out the old pump and it seemed to be pumping fine. I reinstalled it with fresh filters and everything appears to be running properly. I have no idea what the yellow crap was. I have the spare pump, along with another set of filters, under the seat in case this pump goes south again.

Dave
From what I have read, this can be due to Stations Storage tanks made of Fiberglass, being Cleaned or something by the Ethanol in the Fuel acting as a solvent and then yielding off a yellowish substance when it is pumped out.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #477
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
From what I have read, this can be due to Stations Storage tanks made of Fiberglass, being Cleaned or something by the Ethanol in the Fuel acting as a solvent and then yielding off a yellowish substance when it is pumped out.
Scary thought here. What happened to the filters on the inidvidual gas pumps? (WTF???)

It is interesting that after 5-years, folks still seem to be doubting the Facet reliability. I have a spare under my seat for longer trips. The KTM factory Dakar mechanics I worked with in Baja told me long ago that the stock pump was shite, and didn't work.

If I didn't aleady have the facet, I'd use the Mikuni vacuum model.

Pointman, 40K miles on the 40701, still pumping!
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #478
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

40171 Problem--What problem?

I am with Pointman on this. I have nothing to gain from supporting the Facet 40171. I know mine has worked flawlessly for 15k miles. Nice to see a well thought out analysis of a problem by Stmbt Dave. In more typical internet fashion, it would have been easy to blame the pump and create a feeding frenzie. If there is a better option to the Facet, I am all ears. But I haven't heard it yet, although the vacuum pump is something I would like to try--if I had any reason to do so.

As said earlier, I have used Facets on dune buggies before my 950, with great results--hanging down in a fenderwell or other "unprotected spots".

FWIW
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #479
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853 View Post
Scary thought here. What happened to the filters on the inidvidual gas pumps? (WTF???)

If I didn't aleady have the facet, I'd use the Mikuni vacuum model.

Pointman, 40K miles on the 40701, still pumping!
So many stations, managed by many different individuals saving money on pennies a gallon (their profit), mixed in with the Use of Ethanol (since only 2007) in these (was Gas Only) tanks, this is not surprising... quality control in all industries are suffering and looking at anything to cut corners.

This is why I/we discussed many times the positives of using
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html Fuels... this mitigates these possibilities.

I don't think just using a Vacuum pump would bypass these issues.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #480
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

I never meant to suggest that a vacuum pump would help with Ethanol problems. I ride a 950 SM with 30k miles on it. My territory is CA, NV, WA, OR, ID, MT, UT. AZ, CO. I am not picky about which stations I use. Never had a fuel problem that I know of, except for varnishing of fuel in dirt bikes that sit for extended periods with gas turned off. Maybe I'm just lucky......