Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #76
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Coventrys in WA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJake
Australia having limits bits and peices for this sort of thing, who sells the filters, etc and correct thread to hose connections?
Cheers!
...sell the pumps and the filters etc, I bought my original from them but they did not have the 171. Most auto stores should be able to help you with the bits.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #77
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Facet on SE/SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Well, my fuel pump finally went south on my SE at 14,000 miles.

An place I can find a few installation photos of your facet 171 on an SE? It's located in a different position then the Adventure. I was hoping it's protected spot would avoid this, but I guess that was wishful thinking.

The good part was that it failed 2 miles from my home! The bad part was I didn't get to the ride that I had called!
I mounted one on my SM. I did not use the tank mount. Instead I built a small bracket off the oil tank upper mounting bolt. SE may be different. The pump is at about the same location as with the tank mount. Inlet points forward with street elbow and filter pointing across the bike at the level of the fuel crossover. Made new crossover and moved T across closer to right side to match up with filter end. Outlet comes straight back using original quick connect hose (shortened to fit).

For tank removal, pump now stays attached to motor. Just disconnect fuel lines at petcocks and wiring plug. On the SM the new pump is still hidden behind the tank.

Original pump had not failed at 10k miles but points were badly burned. Bike was never in water.
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #78
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,822
if its any help we can supply these.

clic on pics for BIG

FPX007 PUMP **NPTF**

FPX017 FILTER & fittings

just Email me brett_roodogs4wd@bigpond.com or the store link below for cost & shipping *we ship world wide guys*

***NPT Vs. NPTF Taper Pipe Threads***

The two most common taper pipe threads used in the United States are NPT and NPTF. Applications range from electrical conduits and hand railings to high-pressure pipe lines that carry gas or caustic fluids. NPT threads are for mechanical or low-pressure air or fluid applications and require the use of sealing compounds like Teflon tape, to provide the seal. When the application is more critical, and the sealing compound may fail due to high heat or pressure, NPTF Dryseal threads are used. This mechanical seal is produced by the mating and slight crushing of the threads when a wrench is applied to tighten the fittings.

Visually, both threads appear to be identical. Both have a ” taper over one foot of length. Both have the same pitch diameter at the top of the hole of internal threads or end of the pipe on external threads, and both have the same thread lengths or depths. However, there is a subtle difference in the thread form that differentiates the two. The major and minor diameters of both threads differ slightly. With NPT threads, after a wrench is applied, slight spaces at the major and minor diameters may exist that would allow the assembly to leak and therefore a sealing compound is used to fill any gaps. On the other hand, NPTF threads are designed to ensure that sufficient crushing of the entire thread form will take place to produce a mechanical seal.

How does the difference in thread forms effect the tooling used to produce NPT and NPTF threads? Taps are available for both NPT and NPTF threads having the appropriate form to produce each type of thread. Since NPT threaded parts require sealing compounds, it is acceptable to use an NPTF tap for NPT applications. However, NPT taps cannot be used for NPTF applications, as it will likely produce a thread that will leak. The same is true of external threads. In most cases the tap drill is the same for both forms.

The most significant difference in the two threads is the inspection required. Since sealing compounds will be used for NPT threads, only a single plug with a step, known as an L1 plug (internal thread) or a single thin L1 ring (external) are required to check size. However, since the taper and the position of major and minor diameters are so critical to the sealing of NPTF threads, the additional threads in the assembly known as L2 and L3, and the major and minor diameters are inspected with either special plug or ring gages.

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 07-03-2008 at 03:35 AM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #79
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
40171 good in whoops?

My 950A sometimes dies in the whoops. Probably a combination of the stock pump being a little too strong for the float needles. Maybe.

Has anyone w/ a similar problem noticed if it's better after you installed a 40171? I'm gonna need to do something w/ my stock pump pretty soon.

Just thought i'd ask.

Thx.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #80
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk
My 950A sometimes dies in the whoops.
Kickstand switch?
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #81
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The OEM pump is not the problem in the whoops. The fuel level in the bowls is too high. Many folks with this symptom have gone from the stock 3 mm float height to 3.5 mm which lowers the fuel level enough to mitigate the flooding in whoops. Note: you may need to adjust the jetting to make up for the resulting slightly leaner mixture.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #82
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Got my 40171 on order. Does anyone know of a better mounting location then under the battery on a 950A? Maybe up higher to better protect it from water, heat and impact. I know it does not suffer the same problems as the OEM pump, but still.
Maybe keep the stock pump in as a backup. I have had Facet pumps fail on me before.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #83
digger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Oem Pump Needed

A shot in the dark here but by any chance anny of you ladies happen to have a good OEM pump youve already replaced ? Im going on a long hual trip, cant get a 171 due to backordered problems. I'm in need of a working condition oem pump, anyone ?

Thanks
Bruce "Redcorn" Kenny
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #84
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
I have a new in box 171 I have yet to install if you want it. Price is what I paied for it +shipping.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #85
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger
A shot in the dark here but by any chance anny of you ladies happen to have a good OEM pump youve already replaced ? Im going on a long hual trip, cant get a 171 due to backordered problems. I'm in need of a working condition oem pump, anyone ?

Thanks
Bruce "Redcorn" Kenny
you can have my oem pump for free if you figureout how to get from georgia.
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #86
Freedomrider
B Wall

Oddometer: 66
I put that faucet on my bike and have been running it for about 3 mont now. It is a reassuring sound to hear it do its little clicking as I turn the key on. I have not had one issue with it even after rolling the bike down a steep hill.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #87
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider
I put that faucet on my bike and have been running it for about 3 mont now. It is a reassuring sound to hear it do its little clicking as I turn the key on. I have not had one issue with it even after rolling the bike down a steep hill.
I have 13000 km (8100 miles) on my facet 40171 in the last four months. It runs great! Anybody here with how many miles and a wornout facet yet?
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #88
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
facet 40171 in europe

Cpmodem knows..."For Facet pumps in Europe:" http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #89
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I'm about to switch over from the earlier Facet (I forget the #).
Question: Hows the 40171 treating you ? Any flooding or hydro locking issues with the petcocks left open with this one ?
I've had mine (40171) on for 4 months and 5000 miles. Submerged in rivers, sand whoops in Baja, traffic in 105 degrees, petcock stays on all the time... all with no problems. I used a modified version of Pyndon's install and it rides tight under the belly. All is well.

'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #90
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
I have over 4000 miles on mine and it works great.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote