Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #541
Mikezilla
Big in Japan

Oddometer: 74
Holy crap, just looked at em, WHY THE HELL would you drill and plug all those holes? Still probably more reasonable to fix than a shattered one if you dumped it or something I would assume.
Mikezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #542
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 294

New chain slider ordered in from Europe arrived today. It beat the bike here (which is coming from CA). This is the OEM material so I can see why they wear out now. Might take some measurements for making my own out of Delrin before I stick it on the bike.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #543
Mikezilla
Big in Japan

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post

New chain slider ordered in from Europe arrived today. It beat the bike here (which is coming from CA). This is the OEM material so I can see why they wear out now. Might take some measurements for making my own out of Delrin before I stick it on the bike.
Where did you order it from? and how much?
Mikezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #544
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Someone with a 3-D printer could make a few bucks building those chain sliders. Heck, it wouldn't take too many to justify the purchase of one.
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #545
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla View Post
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/

A Grman store also carries aftermarket version made from better material (supposedly)

http://www.unmuessig-moto-italia.de/

unmessig require wire transfers via European banks that a US bank may not be aware how to process.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #546
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla View Post
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/

A Grman store also carries aftermarket version made from better material (supposedly)

http://www.unmuessig-moto-italia.de/

unmessig require wire transfers via European banks that your us bank may not be aware how to process.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #547
donaldlav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Chain Sliders for Elefant and Gran Canyon

Dewey,
I have NOS unsed chain sliders for both the E900 and the Gran Canyon that I could supply. The demand is there for both models, if you are willing. I may be pushing my luck here but I can supply both items for a template. Let me know where to send it and if you are up for creating the Gran Canyon slider in addition to the Elefant's slider.

Donald LaVigne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
How would one of the fine people that I made a chain slider kit for in the past like to help out their fellow Elefant owners?
Here is the situation, the demand for sliders has not abated but I don't have my drawings or my Elefant anymore.
If one of you would send me your entire chain slider kit (at my expense, of course) then I could take the measurements that I need and I can start producing them again. I will return your parts to you in less than 1 week from the time that I receive them.

I thank you and I'm sure that your fellow 'Fant owners will thank you.
donaldlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #548
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
Yayyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlav View Post
Dewey,
I have NOS unsed chain sliders for both the E900 and the Gran Canyon that I could supply. The demand is there for both models, if you are willing. I may be pushing my luck here but I can supply both items for a template. Let me know where to send it and if you are up for creating the Gran Canyon slider in addition to the Elefant's slider.

Donald LaVigne
Yes, I hope this works out.
I ended up ordering one for 147 bucks from http://www.oemmotorparts.com/

I hope to order a spare from y'all once you get it ironed out.
Thanks,
-CLC
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #549
donaldlav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Chain Slider

Dewey,
Don't know if I have missed your reply but I am waiting to hear back from you regarding where to send the Elefant and possibly the Gran Canyon chain slider. Please feel free to contact directly via email or cell phone:
donaldlav@yahoo.com 706-627-7060.
Regards, Donald L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
How would one of the fine people that I made a chain slider kit for in the past like to help out their fellow Elefant owners?
Here is the situation, the demand for sliders has not abated but I don't have my drawings or my Elefant anymore.
If one of you would send me your entire chain slider kit (at my expense, of course) then I could take the measurements that I need and I can start producing them again. I will return your parts to you in less than 1 week from the time that I receive them.

I thank you and I'm sure that your fellow 'Fant owners will thank you.
donaldlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #550
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Saw an Elephant for recently, but I was put off by the reliability I've read about.

Coming from an Italian V-twin at the moment, I want something that's going to be rock solid day in day out.

Are they really as prone to problems as some people make out?
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #551
marcuss
Mahout

Oddometer: 19
Spokes

Hi! I was just wondering if any of you know gauge and length of the spokes in the 19" front wheel fitted to the e900 (from 96). I know I could just measure one of the other spokes, but my dear elefant is in winter hibernation?

Also, a good place to buy one online?
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #552
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 883
I bought a whole spoke set for the rear wheel from Buchanan spokes...
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #553
ceevu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Saw an Elephant for recently, but I was put off by the reliability I've read about.

Coming from an Italian V-twin at the moment, I want something that's going to be rock solid day in day out.

Are they really as prone to problems as some people make out?
Ouu yes they are,where is it for sale
It has to be old bike now,so if you want rock solid reliability,go to shop and by some new yamaha or something.
I cant blame my elefant reliability,considering its age. Broken parts are ignition pickups,and almost all wires that move with handle bar.since its over 20y old,i think its pretty good,but owning old bike has to be state of mind,some just dont get it,and some cant think buying new one.
Of course bike this age needs some new bearings,etc but dont they all do?
some parts are harder to find,or more expensive,but if you have italian v-twin already you know that.
(btw,i broke second gear,but it was sort of careless use...and replaced it with 10 year newer engine...Thats still 16 years old...)
Its fun bike,and im sort of happy that these bikes aren't collectors items,because when they are relatively cheap they can be driven (hard too)and modified to suit owners taste.
ceevu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #554
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceevu View Post
Ouu yes they are,where is it for sale
It has to be old bike now,so if you want rock solid reliability,go to shop and by some new yamaha or something.
I cant blame my elefant reliability,considering its age. Broken parts are ignition pickups,and almost all wires that move with handle bar.since its over 20y old,i think its pretty good,but owning old bike has to be state of mind,some just dont get it,and some cant think buying new one.
Of course bike this age needs some new bearings,etc but dont they all do?
some parts are harder to find,or more expensive,but if you have italian v-twin already you know that.
(btw,i broke second gear,but it was sort of careless use...and replaced it with 10 year newer engine...Thats still 16 years old...)
Its fun bike,and im sort of happy that these bikes aren't collectors items,because when they are relatively cheap they can be driven (hard too)and modified to suit owners taste.

There's one on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAGIVA-ELE...item4d0ae2cd96

It's too far from me though (it's in Wales).

I love the look, but I don't think an Elefant is for me. I don't mind something that needs a little love, but once the common issues are sorted I want something that's rock solid reliable.
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #555
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron View Post
It is a moto filter... Just happens to be the same size as a Harley filter...
Which means it will fit certain old Guzzis,toyotas,BMW,small jap GM's,late Suzuki Swift etc.
I never bought an eom filter...