User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #61
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Metzelers

Anyone running Metzeler Karoo's on the fant. I'm building a 21" for the front and want to know which Karoo to get. I'm curious about the usual, on and off road handling as well as mileage for the tire.
motomikedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #62
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I guess no one runs Karoo 2's. Mine just showed up and they ROCK !!! Can't wait to get them on.

Followup for my fork project. Zerodog and I plan on getting the forks, crown, wheels, and steer stop on today. If I can get it together today I will send in pics. I should have 9" travel with the new modified forks, not to mention a smooth 21" wheel that should devour rough dirt roads and singletrack. Later, off to the shop.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #63
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Cool project, post some pictures!
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #64
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I have some details for everyone on this KTM fork, 21" wheel swapout. First of all , I'm not going to continue with it, and I will be able to explain more soon when I can get some pics on here. Basically it's a pain in the arse for many reasons, and today zerodog and I discovered that at 8" of travel the 21" wheel will run into the front cylinder valve cover, DAMN !!

I will explain more later, gotta catch a flight.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #65
flyben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
there are many people who think to adapt a complete ktm fork on a fant. the mistake I see on this point is the offset of the ktm yokes. often they have 20mm instead of the 30mm of the fant.

I'm currently working on it, but to adapt a 50mm conventional WP fork with Husqvarna yokes (usd one with 30mm offset) Seems to me there will be no problems with the front cylinder and the 21 wheel

--
flyben
sorry for my poor english
flyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #66
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My suspension guru and I now have a plan to fix the problem. I'll let you all know if it works out, and of course ultimately how it handles. More to come in the future. Pain in the ass project.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #67
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
I am pretty sure the stock clamps are not 30mm offset. I could be wrong. But it would be interesting to measure them for sure. They actually look pretty close to the KTM 20mm. 10mms is a lot and would be really different looking side by side. The problem is the foot of the fork. Where the axle is. And how far it is from the bottom of the chrome tube of the fork. The stock forks are inches lower. And the stock fork is only about 8" of stroke. Combined the closer axle to tube distance of the WP with the larger 21" wheel and you get interference problems. Either way you are changing some geometry. It will be interesting to see how Mr Mikes bike rides after the mods. The cool part will just be to get some adjustment on the forks for different conditions. Some 22mm clamps might work but they are $$$.

The plan of attack now is to limit the suspension travel and make it bottom out with about 1.2 inches of chrome still showing. Longer bottoming cones from a 950a or custom ones we will make will do the trick and retain good bottoming control and not defeat the purpose of the swap. Either way the forks are coming off and apart.

The joy of custom stuff. With enough cutting and welding and $$$ you can make anything fit!!
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #68
flyben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
30 mm offset is what i have on my E900IE lucky explorer
fork is a conventional 41,7 marzocchi.
the frame is lightly different on 900 IE than 900 AC

i love this sentence : "The joy of custom stuff. With enough cutting and welding and $$$ you can make anything fit!!"
just add that It'll take time ..

--
Flyben
flyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #69
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Oddometer: 165
Need some help....

Praise the little baby Jesus for this thread.

So I bought this 95 Elefant up in Marin County. The guy hadn't been riding it much. It had been sitting for the better part of 2 years I gather. I test rode it and it seemed fine. I had to ride it back to Santa Barbara from Marin which took 6 hours. The bike ran pretty good to awesome most of the time. But twice it died on me like it was starving for fuel. I know there is some weird little knob/valve that does something for getting fuel from one side to the other, at least thats what the guy told me it did. One time I thought, well maybe the bike is getting really shitty mileage, so I opened it up. After a bit that seemed to work. Then off I rode. Sweet. Then later it did it again and I turned the valve the other way and eventually the bike ran again and off I went. Maybe that little knob has nothing to do with what was happening.....

I am stoked on the performance of the bike, it is a bit loud and all in all it seems to be a rather esoteric type ride with parts and all, but I have ALWAYS wanted one and my KLR was about as exhilarating to ride as a Chevy Chevette.

I have some extra parts for it that I won't be keeping, so if anyone is in need of a stock pipe in nice cond, or a stock rear rack, lemme know.

Meanwhile if anyone has a clue as to why my bike was acting like it was starving for fuel that would be awesome. And many thanks to the dude that started this thread.

My Dumbo:
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #70
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeist

Meanwhile if anyone has a clue as to why my bike was acting like it was starving for fuel that would be awesome. And many thanks to the dude that started this thread.
I'd say for starters you could disconnect the fuel line and check the flow out of the tank. Maybe the strainer inside the petcock could be clogged a bit. You might also have a semi-loose connection in your ignition system. Check the wires that connect the coils to the main wire harness.

Did the PO spray the plastic?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #71
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

I am the 3rd owner. The first owner dropped it on the right side, and much of the plastic was scratched. I am currently spraying it my favorite color, matte black. I am not a big fan of corporate graphics in the first place. I know its probably a sin or something but I do it to every bike I have at one point or another.....

Thanks for the tip on the fuel problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #72
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I am the 3rd owner. The first owner dropped it on the right side, and much of the plastic was scratched. I am currently spraying it my favorite color, matte black. I am not a big fan of corporate graphics in the first place. I know its probably a sin or something but I do it to every bike I have at one point or another.....

Thanks for the tip on the fuel problem.
I run my bike with the right side valve turned open all the time.

You might have a problem seeing with the black shield.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #73
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Not so far. I am 6'2" and see right over it and before it was yellowed to the point that I couldn't see throught it at all anyway. When I find the right one that fits I will get a new one but for now this will do.

It was some screen off a BMW. I guess some screens from the BMW K75 work...anyone care to confirm this?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #74
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Not so far. I am 6'2" and see right over it and before it was yellowed to the point that I couldn't see throught it at all anyway. When I find the right one that fits I will get a new one but for now this will do.

It was some screen off a BMW. I guess some screens from the BMW K75 work...anyone care to confirm this?
Right here you can find windscreen
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/461/
Also watch for the regulator, they go bad easy and as far as I know the guy had to put a new battery in. Put a voltmeter as soon as you can or you may have to call the tow truck sooner than later.

enjoy the ride.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #75
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Went to the Ducati dealership here in town and the mechanic was very nice and said they would have no problem working on the bike if I ever need it.

Ordered some Anakees, they will be here tomorrow.

The guy did put a new battery in, but it had been sitting for at least a year and a half and the old owner had put a battery in that was too small. I took everything the guy selling it to me said with a grain of salt. But besides the two fuel hickups on the 6 hour flogging it got to get me back to SB it did fine.

Pangeist screwed with this post 07-01-2008 at 09:57 PM
Pangeist is offline   Reply With Quote