ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageThumper
I'm on fence between getting the Galfer wave rotors or the KTM floating rotors from the 990.

Have any of you guys with the 990 Adventure had any issues with warping your front brake rotors?
Galfer Waves and Braking Waves are floating too. FYI
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,323
Hub axial runout..

I'm fighting with warped front rotors too.
Put new EBC's on and no improvement. Bad right out of the driveway.
Went looking deeper and I found axial runout on the rotor mounting pads of the hub! (.005 left, .003 right).
Not sure how that happened. Not from crashing (I havn't crashed this bike!) Rim is "used" but checked out OK at the shop; they didn't think the rim was a problem.

So next is to get the axial runout out of the hub and retry with the new rotors.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #18
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,030
990 rotors on a 950

I replaced the front rotors on my 950 with the 990 floaters. The 990 rotors have large rivets (allowing the rotors to float) that stick out too far to clear the 950 caliper hangers, and they'll rub. No doubt the cleaner set up would have been to replace the hangers with the 990 units, but I didn't have time to order them before a trip I had planned, so I went for the backyard method. I ended up grinding a trough about 2mm deep in the hangers to clear the 990 rivets. I've put about 4,000 miles on them, and they're working fine. I'm not recommending the grinding method, but wanted to post this to let everyone know the 990/950 rotors aren't a 1:1 swap without addressing the caliper hanger situation.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Thanks to all for the info in this thread.

At about 15,000 miles my '05 950 Adventure is pulsing pretty badly - its been developing for a while.

I just ordered the Galfer wave rotors and Galfer green pads from cyclebrakes.com.

I'll report on them when theyt arrive and I get them installed.
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #20
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Good news: I got the Galfer wave rotors I ordered from cyclebrakes.com.

Bad news: They don't quite match.

Don't know why, with the same part number, one would have a black anodized carrier and one wouldn't, but there you have it.

I know its just cosmetic, and not 1 in 100 people would notice, but when spending that kind of money I want them "just so".

I just emailed cyclebrakes.com to see if they could find me another with the black anodized carrier, which I prefer.

More to follow...
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

As an update, I shipped the rotor with the unfinished carrier back to cyclebrakes and they sent me a matching black one.

Mounted to my "road wheels", together with a new rear Tourance (after a recent flat).

Probably wait until I have a chance to order a new chain and sprockets next month and swap everything back at once.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #22
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageThumper
I replaced the front rotors on my 950 with the 990 floaters. The 990 rotors have large rivets (allowing the rotors to float) that stick out too far to clear the 950 caliper hangers, and they'll rub. No doubt the cleaner set up would have been to replace the hangers with the 990 units, but I didn't have time to order them before a trip I had planned, so I went for the backyard method. I ended up grinding a trough about 2mm deep in the hangers to clear the 990 rivets. I've put about 4,000 miles on them, and they're working fine. I'm not recommending the grinding method, but wanted to post this to let everyone know the 990/950 rotors aren't a 1:1 swap without addressing the caliper hanger situation.
I've got 990 rotors on my 06' now, no issues. Maybe they changed the hanger w/ this year.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
etmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Sometimes it really depends on the brake pads you use. I personally use ferodo with braking disc. It lasted me more than 30,000 miles.
etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
zakou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
EBC Carbon steel rotors?

Did you install the EBC Carbon Steel Rotors?
http://www.ebc-bremsen.de/start.php4...9851#EBC209851

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
I'm fighting with warped front rotors too.
Put new EBC's on and no improvement. Bad right out of the driveway.
Went looking deeper and I found axial runout on the rotor mounting pads of the hub! (.005 left, .003 right).
Not sure how that happened. Not from crashing (I havn't crashed this bike!) Rim is "used" but checked out OK at the shop; they didn't think the rim was a problem.

So next is to get the axial runout out of the hub and retry with the new rotors.
zakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Galfer+++

I run Galfer wave rotors on three of my bikes and have been VERY happy with the performance and durability.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,270
I found this Galfer on eBay with a "Make Offer" option. After poking around with different number, I found that they will accept $180 as a low offfer, anything lower will automatically be declined. This seems to be the best price around now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150535181038

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
What is axial runout?
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
That is gold - thanks Ken.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
I found this Galfer on eBay with a "Make Offer" option. After poking around with different number, I found that they will accept $180 as a low offfer, anything lower will automatically be declined. This seems to be the best price around now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150535181038

Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
crushing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Galfer wave rotors and black/sinister pads

I installed these on my 950 to replaced my warped front rotors (17,500mi). I must say their stopping power is worst than stock. I thought there was some grease on the rotors/pads or needed to break in, but after cleaning them and riding for about 1,500 mi, there's no improvement. If this changes, ill make an update. But disappointed for the safety aspect.
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushing View Post
I installed these on my 950 to replaced my warped front rotors (17,500mi). I must say their stopping power is worst than stock. I thought there was some grease on the rotors/pads or needed to break in, but after cleaning them and riding for about 1,500 mi, there's no improvement. If this changes, ill make an update. But disappointed for the safety aspect.
No way. Something is definitely wrong there. The Galfer rotors we have put on our four bikes have made a noticeable improvement. Something else has to be going on if you are getting worse performance than stock. Have you checked the brake fluid? When was the last time it was changed? I suggest that you call Galfer and tell them your experience so you can get the issue resolved. Not having confidence in the braking is no bueno!

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote