User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Motorcyclist killed in Omaha yesterday

What a shame... It was a beautiful day out yesterday and everybody and their uncle was out on bikes.

http://www.ketv.com/news/15461028/detail.html

Sounds kind of like the guy overcooked it going into a turn. I don't like to speculate about these kind of things but it looks like a Sportster, so the guy might have been a new rider and went into a corner too fast without slowing down or leaning.

edit: I forgot about all the gravel that is still out on the road around here. Based on what witness say it was probably gravel. I was going off the police explanation when I said he probably overcooked it.

El Guero screwed with this post 03-04-2008 at 10:44 AM
El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
gsfreeman2
Ersatz adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
What a shame... It was a beautiful day out yesterday and everybody and their uncle was out on bikes.

http://www.ketv.com/news/15461028/detail.html

Sounds kind of like the guy overcooked it going into a turn. I don't like to speculate about these kind of things but it looks like a Sportster, so the guy might have been a new rider and went into a corner too fast without slowing down or leaning.

I don't know how much sand you use in Nebraska versus what we use in Minnesota, but this time of the year you just have to be careful... we don't have our streets fully swept until late May and it's easy to hit a patch of sand which appeared out of nowhere.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a GIFT! That's why it's the present... - Eleanor Roosevelt
gsfreeman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
I don't like to speculate about these kind of things but...
Lot of speculation there for a guy who doesn't like to speculate.
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
fas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
So young to be dead

RIP fellow rider.

My Dad died recently at 88, twice the life time of this rider.

www.e-bikefun.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
fas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
There was plenty of sand on the roads on the other side of the river & north in he hills. the frost was coming out & water in the shaded areas. I was on I-80 & I-680 yesterday and did not notice any extra sand in the main part of the roads. there was a bottleneck on the NE side of I-80 just off the Missouri bridge. (the truckers reported someone committed sucide by jumping in front of a semi on the West bound side.) http://www.ketv.com/video/15462860/index.html
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr
There was plenty of sand on the roads on the other side of the river & north in he hills. the frost was coming out & water in the shaded areas. I was on I-80 & I-680 yesterday and did not notice any extra sand in the main part of the roads. there was a bottleneck on the NE side of I-80 just off the Missouri bridge. (the truckers reported someone committed sucide by jumping in front of a semi on the West bound side.) http://www.ketv.com/video/15462860/index.html
Bad day on I-80 in any case. There is still some gravel around Lincoln but I took 6 to and from Omaha so I didn't really know anything about I-80 conditions. In any case RIP biker dude

Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
lovias
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Omaha paper stated that he was wearing a helmet. Don't think that mattered much.
lovias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
treefort13
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 1,225
Sad Sad Sad
treefort13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
The witnesses on the video seem to think he was travelling at a normal rate of speed. If you're not speeding, how can you overcook a turn on an interstate?

Hard to know what really happened....

RIP to the rider.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
I rode past the accident scene by chance. Must have been some time after the crash, because the offramp was blocked by police, two newsvans were out there with cameras rolling, etc.

Not sure how much speed it would take to overcook that rather gentle right hander, but it would have to be substantial. In the absence of excess speed, perhaps gravel, inexperience, etc., played a large part.

The street in front of my house looks like a gravel road at the edges. I hope that the streetsweepers get an early start this year.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian_47
I rode past the accident scene by chance. Must have been some time after the crash, because the offramp was blocked by police, two newsvans were out there with cameras rolling, etc.

Not sure how much speed it would take to overcook that rather gentle right hander, but it would have to be substantial. In the absence of excess speed, perhaps gravel, inexperience, etc., played a large part.

The street in front of my house looks like a gravel road at the edges. I hope that the streetsweepers get an early start this year.
With respect to the rider, the Sportster is prone to simply stand up when any brake is applied while into a turn... RIP...
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
richrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I never realized there are so many people on here from Omaha / lincoln. The roads I drive have the most gravel I've ever seen after our endless winter.

What ramp did the rider overcook?

Rich
richrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrd
I never realized there are so many people on here from Omaha / lincoln. The roads I drive have the most gravel I've ever seen after our endless winter.

What ramp did the rider overcook?

Rich
Get over to the Central forum and you can find everybody.