Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif
What a hell of a differemce in prices on the US site from Safari to Acerbis to Clarke to IMS. So is there something special about the Safari that makes it a fair deal for the price?
Suppose to be pretty strong and crash able, they have two petcocks which are suppose to be better petcocks than those that come with an IMS, the come with extra mounting hardware to stabilise the front wings, they are bigger i.e. more plastic.

No idea really I'm just guessing

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
far queue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Suppose to be pretty strong and crash able, they have two petcocks which are suppose to be better petcocks than those that come with an IMS, the come with extra mounting hardware to stabilise the front wings, they are bigger i.e. more plastic.

No idea really I'm just guessing

Cheers R
Yep, it is strong and well mounted. I've had no issues with the couple of offs I've had with it on. Yep, 2 petcocks so all the fuel drains out and you arn't left with a couple of litres that you can't use, but I couldn't really vouch for the quality of the petcocks. They don't leak or anything but they're impossible to turn by hand, way too stiff. I've pulled them to bits to try and fix them, but no change.

As for cost, I think AUD$650 plus freight plus gst is too steep, but I was happy with NZ$350 off trademe
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by far queue
they're impossible to turn by hand, way too stiff. I've pulled them to bits to try and fix them, but no change.
Did you lubricate them afterwards? I followed the process outlined in What to do with Fuel Taps on the stiff tap on my 640A; fixed it good! I'll now do that annually. Used some rubber grease on the o-rings and around the plastic cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
far queue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
Did you lubricate them afterwards? I followed the process outlined in What to do with Fuel Taps on the stiff tap on my 640A; fixed it good! I'll now do that annually. Used some rubber grease on the o-rings and around the plastic cone.
Yep, I followed those instructions to the letter with no difference. I just the leave the taps on reserve all the time now. It's easy to see exactly how much how much fuel I've got anyway so not a problem. If I need to turn the taps off to take the tank off for any reason I just use a big pair of pliers
Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Question Fuel tanks again

I see that the IMS tank for the DR650 has a capacity of 4.9 US gallons. That is only about 18.5 litres. The stock tank has 13 litres. Do you reckon it is worth the expense? It looks as if it will cost around $NZ400 for the IMS tank (cost + shipping)
Any comments appreciated.
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #21
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
I see that the IMS tank for the DR650 has a capacity of 4.9 US gallons. That is only about 18.5 litres. The stock tank has 13 litres. Do you reckon it is worth the expense? It looks as if it will cost around $NZ400 for the IMS tank (cost + shipping)
Any comments appreciated.
They generally end up holding around 20 ish l. Full it with petrol and leave it in the sun for a bit. Failing this give it the "hot water treatment" and you should easily get 20ish l.

I use to be 170km to reserve now I can get over 300km. I've not had the opportunity to run the thing dry yet so dont know how big the reserve is though.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC

cooneyr screwed with this post 03-12-2008 at 06:55 PM
Old 03-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,401
I agree with Cooneyr, the 18 litre capacity (or greater) is well worth having, I was thoroughly sick of planning my rides around fuel stops and the extra capacity is a relief! I can't see a need for the safari tank for NZ use unless you get a good buy, as I'm not sure I want the additional 10kgs of weight up high.
I have to admit that a lot of my fuel range problems are due to tuning (pipe & jetting reducing the range) but even if the bike was stock I would still buy the 18 litre tank.
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
talbertnz OP
..Clogs on da footpegs..

Oddometer: 79
bugger!

Just went for a quick spin around the block last night wheelie-ing away etc. sm style letting of some steam. but noticed that my neutral light didn't work....... hope its just the bulb!! and not the entire switch assembly being crunched up by cogs in the lower compartent of la engine....... cuz that doesn't seem to be an uncomen problem.... was dark last night so haven't had a change to look if it was just the bulb. any of you had the ''switch fall of'' problem?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #24
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbertnz
Just went for a quick spin around the block last night wheelie-ing away etc. sm style letting of some steam. but noticed that my neutral light didn't work....... hope its just the bulb!! and not the entire switch assembly being crunched up by cogs in the lower compartent of la engine....... cuz that doesn't seem to be an uncomen problem.... was dark last night so haven't had a change to look if it was just the bulb. any of you had the ''switch fall of'' problem?
No but I did take the side cover off and locktite the screws. They were pretty loose. Youed have to be pretty unlucky to chew up the sender unit the but screws would be fair game once the fall out. Pretty easy to check and well worth the piece of mind.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #25
talbertnz OP
..Clogs on da footpegs..

my old beasty

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #26
talbertnz OP
..Clogs on da footpegs..

1.yup pretty stock standard still

-And yeah yeah i know.. that screen.. made up the windscreen before riding back to aukland from matamata as I hated the wind tryin to blow me off on the way there. made up frombit of plexiglass and old curtain rod for support just a quick fix. works well so thats why its still on. will start fabbing a better (read prettyer) one soon. plus farklin ones we got some money to spare!!!

2. i used some of that cheapy (silicone based?) tire shine stuff from the warehouse on everything plastic and rubber and some metal bits aswell , wipe of with cloth, works well shines and protects! BUT dont get it on tyre grip surface. things get verry slippery and takes a quite a while to dissapear to.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Question IMS Tanks - help please

Well i took advice and ordered an IMS tank from Justgastanks in the US. Very good service - tank delivered to my front porch in 6 days and track & trace emails every day to let me know where it was.
Some help would be appreciated tho...

The petcock on the IMS tank is further to the rear of the bike than the standand fitting. Did you have to fit a new fuel line to accommodate the fuel filter and the lesser space? If i try to make it fit it kinks the fuel line.

I appreciate that the IMS petcock doesn't have the on/prime/res settings. What do you do with the standard vacuum line? Kink it off? Plug it? Does this mean you can no longer fit a Scottoiler system which operates off the vacuum line?

I assume that the plastic shroud at the front of the standard tank is removed?

Be good to hear from anyone who has successfully fitted one of these tanks.
Ken
Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #28
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Well i took advice and ordered an IMS tank from Justgastanks in the US. Very good service - tank delivered to my front porch in 6 days and track & trace emails every day to let me know where it was.
Some help would be appreciated tho...

The petcock on the IMS tank is further to the rear of the bike than the standand fitting. Did you have to fit a new fuel line to accommodate the fuel filter and the lesser space? If i try to make it fit it kinks the fuel line.
Not bothered with a filter myself but after cleaning out the carb today I think it probably isnt a bad idea. Maybe a longer hose with a loop down and around in it to give you enough length?

Quote:
I appreciate that the IMS petcock doesn't have the on/prime/res settings. What do you do with the standard vacuum line? Kink it off? Plug it? Does this mean you can no longer fit a Scottoiler system which operates off the vacuum line?
Blank of the vacuum line on the petcock side of the T for the scottie. About 15mm of 6 inch nail (head end) with a small jubilee (hose) clamp works fine for me.

Quote:
I assume that the plastic shroud at the front of the standard tank is removed?
Yep gotta go

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #29
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

IMS Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Not bothered with a filter myself but after cleaning out the carb today I think it probably isnt a bad idea. Maybe a longer hose with a loop down and around in it to give you enough length?

Cheers R
Thanks for that - I assumed that the inline fuel filter was standard. However I see from looking at DR650s on this site that they are not. Here's a photo which might show the problem.
Kennif
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #30
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Quote:
Thanks for that - I assumed that the inline fuel filter was standard. However I see from looking at DR650s on this site that they are not. Here's a photo which might show the problem.
Kennif

Rather bad drawing but something like this?

Cheers R
Attached Images

05 KTM 450 EXC