Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #151
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S
When I was taught to drive a car I was told to get the clutch engaged as quick as possible and use the accelerator to control speed - I always road bikes like that as well untill I got the WR. Now I'm much more inclined to slip the clutch a bit rather than change down if the engine is lugging or if the back wheel breaks traction I would now slip the clutch and slightly back off the throttle rather than just back off the throttle. If often feels like I us the clutch as much as the throttle to control speed/traction. The nice part with the rekluse is that it does all of that for me now - but much more smoothly and consistently than I could.

Cars have a dry clutch and the way you were taught is the way to do it. It`s not a good idea to slip the clutch on a bike like the BMW boxer that has a dry clutch. That should be used like a car clutch: don`t feed in too much power until the clutch is fully home. A wet clutch is much more forgiving though, and can handle a hard time when things get gnarly.

At the Xchallenge course I did last year, another method that was taught is to bring the clutch lever in and out quickly when needed, using momentum to get you through. This is easy to do with practice and saves clutch wear no matter what type it is.

Having said all this, it didn`t stop me abusing the clutch on my 1100GS on the road into and out of Lorella Springs, NT a few weeks ago.

Mark, if you were born and bred around the area where you now live, we probably learnt to drive on the same roads. My parents had a beach house in Watson Drive, which was just about as far as Parap`ram went in those days. I noticed that on my last trip back there you can get through to Waikanae now, where before you had to go down the the highway and go up that way.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 03:37 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #152
Kiwi-441
Kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wicked Hmmmm

Going back through some of your pics was thinking be nice to bring the WR down so you could show me(and others?) some of those fine tracks you know...........
Kiwi-441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #153
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
Monkey see, monkey do!
No sure how I should take that comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Mark, if you were born and bred around the area where you now live, we probably learnt to drive on the same roads. My parents had a beach house in Watson Drive, which was just about as far as Parap`ram went in those days. I noticed that on my last rip back there you can get through to Waikanae now, where before you had to go down the the highway and go up that way.
I'm a recentish import into the area - been here since 1990 I think.
There is only a foot bridge over the beach end of the Waikanae river - you still have to go via the main road in a car or slow motorbike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-441
Going back through some of your pics was thinking be nice to bring the WR down so you could show me(and others?) some of those fine tracks you know...........
There is always a bed and somewhere to stash another WR. Love to show you and any others around the Mangletooks anytime.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #154
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,429
Quote:
$1000 landed for the klr
I'm bound to be down your way before xmas - your welcome to try it
Oh yes I will try thanks mahahahahahahaha
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #155
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Wairarapa 31st Aug

Kennif had organised a Ulysses ride and I decided to tag along and see what was up. Merv posted one of his usual super ride reports here so I won't bore you with the details. I stole one of Mervs photos that shows the KLR in action...

It was a great ride and it ended at the Gladstone pub for lunch. I had all my gear with me as I was intending to head up to Hastings for the night and do the Napier-Taihape Rd on Monday.

I left the Gladstone after a quick drink and head out via Kaiwhata Rd..

And onto Homewood Rd..

And then down to Riversdale Beach for a great coffee and an inedible toasted sandwich..

Then through Tinui and Castlehill Rd

Once I hit Alfredton I hung a right and pootled down to Pori Rd. This is and awesome piece of dirt - the pictures hopefully say it all..

By the time I hit the seal again it was about 5.30 and the light was starting to fade.

I had tweaked my back on Saturday carting rubbish to the tip and it was getting more uncomfortable as the day wore on so I decided abandon Hastings and head home.

I headed out to Pahiatua via Ngaturi and over the Pahiatua Saddle Rd then down SH57 topping at Shannon for gas/coffee/cake at the service station and then on down behind Levin and onto boring busy SH1 down to Raumati.

I was rooted by the time I finally got home at 8pm and after 470km's my bum was glad to be off the saddle. It was a great day with awesome poeple and brilliant country to enjoy. The KLR is ideal for this sort of laid back stuff - I'm very happy with it.

This could get addictive :)

Mark_S screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 02:37 PM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #156
Merv
Easy Biker

Oddometer: 68
Mate it was great to see you for part of the day, but damn was the toasted sandwich really that inedible?

As for your choice of roads until you abandoned the trip you went over a whole lot of my favourite haunts. Those roads are what make gravel rides just such a fun pastime.

Now you didn't need that bloody large bag on the back of the bike after all.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #157
Padmei
enamoured

Ah the KLR in its natural habitat - its abeautiful thing.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #158
Merv
Easy Biker

Oddometer: 68
I should have said too that crikey that is a good photo of you on the KLR Mark - the smile under your helmet is just so obvious
Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #159
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv
Now you didn't need that bloody large bag on the back of the bike after all.

Mate you must have some bloody big pyjamas to fill up that bag
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #160
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt crayfish
Mate you must have some bloody big pyjamas to fill up that bag
Its a full touring type load - could last a week on all the stuff I had - I wanted to see how it handled the weight - there is about 18kg in that bag.

It was noticible but didnt make the bike unstable. That much weight in that position on the DT and it becomes lethal on gravel...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #161
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
It was noticible but didnt make the bike unstable. That much weight in that position on the DT and it becomes lethal on gravel...
You need some proper soft luggage. You could buy my Motoline panniers One careful lady owner, and all that

My new Andystrapz panniers turned up yesterday so the old panniers are surplus to requirements.
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #162
Bass
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Its a full touring type load - could last a week on all the stuff I had - I wanted to see how it handled the weight - there is about 18kg in that bag.

Pfffffff....full touring load!!!!!!
Try about 50 kg on the back of a DR in deep sand with a 35 litre tank on the front as well........
Now THAT'S a full touring type load

Actually, if i tell the truth Mark, we met a few riders during the Oz trip, who thought that we were travelling remarkably light, given the trip we were doing. Some of the loads we saw were just unreal.
There are some very skilled riders out there.
Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #163
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass
Pfffffff....full touring load!!!!!!
Try about 50 kg on the back of a DR in deep sand with a 35 litre tank on the front as well........
Now THAT'S a full touring type load

Actually, if i tell the truth Mark, we met a few riders during the Oz trip, who thought that we were travelling remarkably light, given the trip we were doing. Some of the loads we saw were just unreal.
There are some very skilled riders out there.
I hoped you flecked all over your monitor with your "Pfffffff..."

Were the DR's still fun to ride loaded down like that?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #164
Bass
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
I hoped you flecked all over your monitor with your "Pfffffff..."

Were the DR's still fun to ride loaded down like that?
Ummmm....mixed response. When we first took them out with a full load aboard, I was firmly convinced that there was no way I was going to cope with some of the stuff that we planned to tackle - it just felt so ungainly and top heavy. However, by the end of the trip, it felt strange without the load aboard. I guess that you unconsciously adapt.

Even so, loaded up, I never did manage to learn to steer it precisely. The high mounted weight on the back always took over and I was always making moderate corrections. Jamie did much better than me in this regard and was able to "ride the ruts" much more precisely than I could. The way he had his bike set up (lower at the back) meant that his steering was less sensitive than mine and he was carrying less weight. Superior skill was a factor as well.

As a consequence I was doing a lot more "paddling" than he was which is strenuous and tiring of course. This led to me taking some (stupid) risks occasionally. Out of frustration and sometimes desperation, I would just open the tap and blast my way through at about 110 kph. It's much much easier riding that way but also a helluva lot more risky. Just look at the casualty rate for the OCR in Oz recently.

We were both of us surprised at how much the handling improved when we emptied the jerrycan into the tank. That weight being so far aft made a real difference.

So I guess the answer to your question is that "yes they were" but it took a while to learn how to make them so.

Bass screwed with this post 09-04-2008 at 01:41 PM
Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #165
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Body Armour

Well I tested my new body armour (Rockgardn Flackjacket) four times today (once in a river where I managed to fill my helmet with water - it was not warm ) and it was worth its weight in gold. Makes a significant difference to the amount of impact that reaches your body. Best $190 I have spent.