Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #871
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
sounds like a plan
are you guys going to Toddy's Dust to Dobson?
No we are going to miss that, unfortunately. We catch the ferry down on the 20th, so will probably be in Wgn all day on the 19th (Sunday), then we've got a week of motorbiking around the top of the south, before we ditch the bikes in Nelson and head south for four weeks of tramping, mountain biking and kayaking. Then we catch the ferry back on the Friday afternoon before Bart's RRRR ride.
And presumably you'll still talk to us, even though we'll be trailer scum?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #872
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
Then we catch the ferry back on the Friday afternoon before Bart's RRRR ride.
And presumably you'll still talk to us, even though we'll be trailer scum?
Oh....the RRRR. That reminds me. I'd better get that organised.

what weekend is it again????
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #873
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post

Yeah thats right, get that RRRR into G
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #874
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post

We're getting in to Wellington on the 23rd (Friday), so the ride must be the 24th and 25th.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #875
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
the last few rides

well today's ride was less than brilliant

Glen and I rode up the 24hr track this morning . It was slippery as a bastard and by the time we joined Perams Rd (the main track) an hour later I had a pretzelled hand guard (jamming the clutch lever) and tweaked forks and Glens 300 refused to stay in 1st gear and (we later discovered) won't go into 3rd. Ride over after 1 hour - fook fook fook

Oh well - at least last weekends ride was epic....

and the previous rides were pretty good as well

Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #876
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
very nice. One question, on the first video there appears a 3rd rider (Andy maybe) that falls climbing one section but then he doesn't appear anymore ... did u leave him behind? is he still there?

Quote:
well today's ride was less than brilliant

Glen and I rode up the 24hr track this morning . It was slippery as a bastard and by the time we joined Perams Rd (the main track) an hour later I had a pretzelled hand guard (jamming the clutch lever) and tweaked forks and Glens 300 refused to stay in 1st gear and (we later discovered) won't go into 3rd. Ride over after 1 hour - fook fook fook

Oh well - at least last weekends ride was epic....

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #877
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
very nice. One question, on the first video there appears a 3rd rider (Andy maybe) that falls climbing one section but then he doesn't appear anymore ... did u leave him behind? is he still there?
He got dragged to the Devils Saircase, but when he heard what track they were intending to take back, he bloused out, & said he'd met them at the carpark

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 11:30 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #878
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
He got dragged to the Devils Saircase, but when he heard what track they were intending to take back, he bloused out, & said he'd met them at the carpark
Andy was using a rear knobby whereas Glen and I had trials tires - it makes it much easier
He got about 1/3 of the way up the staircase which is fiurther than I've ever got with a knobby
It certainley was pretty epic - an awesome memorable day

this video is from last weekends aborted ride
I found it bloody hard work - slippery as snot and steep
hopefully this weekend we will open up Glens ktm and find that his gearbox problem is something we can fix without splitting the cases...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #879
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Andy was using a rear knobby whereas Glen and I had trials tires - it makes it much easier
He got about 1/3 of the way up the staircase which is fiurther than I've ever got with a knobby
It certainley was pretty epic - an awesome memorable day

this video is from last weekends aborted ride
I found it bloody hard work - slippery as snot and steep
hopefully this weekend we will open up Glens ktm and find that his gearbox problem is something we can fix without splitting the cases...
do u have front and rear trials or just rears?

I would have thought that they're not good on mud ... and good on clay

asking cause I need to buy new tyres for my 300 ... and could try 'em out

(aargh they're very expensive
T181201MITRXTLMICH T 120/100 18 TRILXLTTLYes265.00265.00
T18400 MIXIMICH T 400 18 X1 TLSNo229.00209.00
T18400 MIXI1 TBMICH T 400 R18 X11 TBTLSNo189.00169.00
T18400 MIXI1 TLMICH T 400 R18 X11 TLTLSYes269.00245.00
T21275 MITLSCMICH T 275 21 TLS CP TTYes179.00165.00
T218010MITLLIMICH T 80/100 21 TLS LITEYes199.00179.00
)

pampaX screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 02:17 PM
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #880
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
(aargh they're very expensive

We are only using trials tires on the rear and we both also have spare rear wheels fitted with knobblies.
I wouldnt want to use a trials tire as my my only rear tire as you have to be nice to it on open tracks (no steering with the throttle etc) or it will self destruct.

There is no question that the trials tire is significantly better in rooty or stony areas but it doesnt have a great affinity for deep mud or slick clay (mind you - not much does). You arent supposed to spin a trials tire at all but I've found the only way I can get up some clay climbs or through some mud bogs is to stick the bike in second and rev the snot out of it (see the previous video for how sublty I use this technique).

If all you want to do is ride nasty tight stuff then grab a trials tire otherwise a knobby at 8-10psi will get you just about everywhere and still be fun (at 12-15psi) on the open stuff.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #881
rogerh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
There is no question that the trials tire is significantly better in rooty or stony areas but it doesnt have a great affinity for deep mud or slick clay (mind you - not much does).
OK. That explains why they like them so much in the states.

Quote:
If all you want to do is ride nasty tight stuff then grab a trials tire otherwise a knobby at 8-10psi will get you just about everywhere and still be fun (at 12-15psi) on the open stuff.
And this convinces me it is likely not worth me trying one. I don't get to see many rocks. What are they like on the tight stuff that is a bit slippery under trees? The volcanic soil under a bush canopy. Do they make any difference on slimy rocks?

Reading between the lines you are saying hard dry surfaces. But I have never actually taken a trials bike into a stream covered in slimy moss. I am thinking the wires track in the winter (wet clay and slippery rocks. Lots of water.)
rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #882
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
OK. That explains why they like them so much in the states.

And this convinces me it is likely not worth me trying one. I don't get to see many rocks. What are they like on the tight stuff that is a bit slippery under trees? The volcanic soil under a bush canopy. Do they make any difference on slimy rocks?

Reading between the lines you are saying hard dry surfaces. But I have never actually taken a trials bike into a stream covered in slimy moss. I am thinking the wires track in the winter (wet clay and slippery rocks. Lots of water.)
They seem less inclined to go sideways on wet roots and leaf litter than a sharp knobby - maybe because of the greater contact patch. The steering feels more settled because the bum isnt moving around so much

One of the biggest problems we find with knobbies is that a sharp new knobby is simply brilliant - but after maybe 3 rides its lost 30-40% of its bite and after 7-8 rides is reaching its use by date - a 10 ride knobby is complete toast. A trials tire seems to 'go off' a lot slower - I think I have 5 rides on mine and the knobs are a little rounded but it still feels like its at 90% of a new one. I'd hope to get at least double the use (20 rides?) out of it.

The biggest problem is having to be restrained in open trerrain - transport sections become transport sections as opposed to 'blow the cobwebs out' sections. Still - I'm riding in, and enjoying riding in, areas that I've never before felt capable of riding in so I'm sold
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #883
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:

Try Pirelli MT43's.
About $150 and road legal.
8-12psi off road and 20-25psi on road.
The slower, the lower.
Last forever compared to a "true" trials tyre.
Guys in the states get several seasons out of them vs several rides on knobs as Marks says.
Basically, trials tyres grip 'till they're bald.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #884
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
They seem less inclined to go sideways on wet roots and leaf litter than a sharp knobby - maybe because of the greater contact patch. The steering feels more settled because the bum isnt moving around so much

One of the biggest problems we find with knobbies is that a sharp new knobby is simply brilliant - but after maybe 3 rides its lost 30-40% of its bite and after 7-8 rides is reaching its use by date - a 10 ride knobby is complete toast. A trials tire seems to 'go off' a lot slower - I think I have 5 rides on mine and the knobs are a little rounded but it still feels like its at 90% of a new one. I'd hope to get at least double the use (20 rides?) out of it.

The biggest problem is having to be restrained in open trerrain - transport sections become transport sections as opposed to 'blow the cobwebs out' sections. Still - I'm riding in, and enjoying riding in, areas that I've never before felt capable of riding in so I'm sold
what about sharpening with a knife (maybe one of those they sell on tardme)? it seems hard work to me but well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Try Pirelli MT43's.
About $150 and road legal.
8-12psi off road and 20-25psi on road.
The slower, the lower.
Last forever compared to a "true" trials tyre.
Guys in the states get several seasons out of them vs several rides on knobs as Marks says.
Basically, trials tyres grip 'till they're bald.
Thanks, I'll look up for them

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #885
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
what about sharpening with a knife (maybe one of those they sell on tardme)? it seems hard work to me but well
we have a knobbie knife but you have to have fairly large knobs to start off with otherwise the resharpened knobs are too thin and just bend or tear off. It seemed that re-sharpened tires were better than before sharpening but a long way off a new tire. We felt we could extend the life of a tire by 2 or 3 rides. We don't really use it much anymore as it seemed like a lot of work to fairly marginal gains.

On a happier note - I've just come in from helping Glen pull the 300 to bits and we found and fixed the gear selection problem. The shifter shaft has a lever that acts via a spring loaded sliding plate on the shift drum. A piece of crud had wedged between the sliding plate and the shifter shaft lever - stopping the shift drum from being completely rotated. Thats one hell of a lot better outcome than pulling the motor and splitting the cases to fix things.

I've left Glen with the fun job of cleaning off the old side cover gasket which appears to have been stuck on with an arc welder.