Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #76
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Great shots and account of the trip- I need to make it back there soon and get me some of that!
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #77
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX
awesome stuff, thanks for posting ... might ask for your itinerary some time ..

PampaX
Make a list of the track names and have a look at the www.advroutes.org.nz web site - most of the tracks are on it.

Have a look at nordieboys KB signature as well. He has a google earth KML file you can download that has most of the tracks he has ridden on it.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #78
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S

that big fat trumpy might be interesting on the south end of the Porika though...
Got through it, sth-nth in summer after Mike Britten said "give it a go".
Was a bit of a challenge, (only had to stop twice on the climb up), but theres no way I'm going over it in winter on fatty.
Since then, I've dropped a tooth on the fr sprocket.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #79
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,495
Bit of a shame you had to give the Brass a miss, but from the report you had a great trip regardless!
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #80
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Great Report & pics mate, Porika-Braeburn-Maruia on a good day is enough to put me in a happy place for a week or 2

Quote:
Molesworth - Rainbow plus most of the stuff I just did would be a pretty cool ride.
S'funny you should say that, A dirty weekend on a hired Gerbil encompassing the Rainbow-Lewis-Maruia-Braeburn-Porika was what lured me over to the dark side in the first place. After a month or so of research into what the ultimate adventure bike was, I owned the 640

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #81
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
Bit of a shame you had to give the Brass a miss, but from the report you had a great trip regardless!
Sorry that we didnt manage to hook up - I hope to be back down soon as I'm keen to explore the area more - will give you a yell when I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Great Report & pics mate, Porika-Braeburn-Maruia on a good day is enough to put me in a happy place for a week or 2

S'funny you should say that, A dirty weekend on a hired Gerbil encompassing the Rainbow-Lewis-Maruia-Braeburn-Porika was what lured me over to the dark side in the first place. After a month or so of research into what the ultimate adventure bike was, I owned the 640
Well if you ever want to 'revisit your roots' and need a 'Sancho' let me know.

Your ride in reverse would make a good weekend trip. Stay in Picton Friday night then Saturday morning down the boring Wairau Valley then hang a left at Porika and on around to Hamner for Saturday night. Nice easy cruise up the Rainbow on Sunday morning followed by a boring blat up the Wairau Valley (or via Mangautapu if time permitted) and catch a late ferry back to Wellywood.

I think the locals (Colin and Fran) should find a way to cross the Wairau River so we can go down/up Northbank Rd.

cheers

Mark
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #82
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
.......I think the locals (Colin and Fran) should find a way to cross the Wairau River so we can go down/up Northbank Rd.

cheers

Mark
Ahhh - good luck to you. We look at this at Christmas time. The river bed is rather big boulders ~ 200mm dia. We managed to get out to the main stream on the 650's etc but with the river about mid thigh deep and the big boulders this would be very interesting. If the river was basically dry and you took your time you might make it but I wouldn't rely on being able to do this.

You realise that you can get through the Molesworth outside the main "season" with a permit from south Marlborough DOC? I only found this out a few weeks ago myself. It would remove the need to do the Wairau.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #83
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
I think the locals (Colin and Fran) should find a way to cross the Wairau River so we can go down/up Northbank Rd.
That was fairly thoroughly checked out in the planning for the Dusty Butt, no solution found.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #84
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Ahhh - good luck to you. We look at this at Christmas time. The river bed is rather big boulders ~ 200mm dia. We managed to get out to the main stream on the 650's etc but with the river about mid thigh deep and the big boulders this would be very interesting. If the river was basically dry and you took your time you might make it but I wouldn't rely on being able to do this.
And Mr C was the only one... keen... enough to have a go at walking across and he only got half way on one part

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
You realise that you can get through the Molesworth outside the main "season" with a permit from south Marlborough DOC? I only found this out a few weeks ago myself. It would remove the need to do the Wairau.
That is good (cold) news.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #85
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Went up the hill today and found a new track...

Sorry - trees get my camera finger itching....

Never leave your bike unattended with your son sniffing around...

Thats Kaikoura(ish) that you're staring at way down there

We had a great day....

Mark_S screwed with this post 06-08-2008 at 05:39 PM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #86
NordieBoy
Armature speller

And no snow to be seen

Damn teenagers.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #87
wayne708
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Mark, just been looking through all of this thread and came across the pics of Pongaroa in November last year, so, checking some dates in last years diary I found that Tuesday the 27th was the day a group of us from work did a trip out to Akito and back over the Pukitoi Range. I seem to remember some dirt bikes arriving on a trailer at Pongaroa just as we were leaving and now realise this must have been you and your boys. As my last bike (20 yrs ago) was a KDX200, and that I have lived all off my life in Wellington and mainly on MX and Enduro bikes back then, I have enjoyed your photo essays here.I'm enjoying the road bike but after reading some of these threads I can here the dark side calling me back. Cheers Wayne.
wayne708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #88
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne708
I'm enjoying the road bike but after reading some of these threads I can here the dark side calling me back.
Give in to the force Wayne.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #89
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Thumb great pics Marks

as always you capture some great scenery here on our doorstep Mark - well done
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #90
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne708
Hi Mark, just been looking through all of this thread and came across the pics of Pongaroa in November last year, so, checking some dates in last years diary I found that Tuesday the 27th was the day a group of us from work did a trip out to Akito and back over the Pukitoi Range. I seem to remember some dirt bikes arriving on a trailer at Pongaroa just as we were leaving and now realise this must have been you and your boys. As my last bike (20 yrs ago) was a KDX200, and that I have lived all off my life in Wellington and mainly on MX and Enduro bikes back then, I have enjoyed your photo essays here.I'm enjoying the road bike but after reading some of these threads I can here the dark side calling me back. Cheers Wayne.
Hi Wayne

I remember seeing you guys at Pongaroa - small world :)

If you can beg/borrow a trail bike - let us know and well take you on a guided tour of the Maungatooks..

Hope to be back over Pongaroa way soonish too - love the roads over there

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan
as always you capture some great scenery here on our doorstep Mark - well done
Thanks

cheers

Mark