Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #91
wayne708
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S
Hi Wayne

I remember seeing you guys at Pongaroa - small world :)

If you can beg/borrow a trail bike - let us know and well take you on a guided tour of the Maungatooks..

Hope to be back over Pongaroa way soonish too - love the roads over there

Thanks

cheers

Mark
Thanks Mark, I would like to take you up on that offer some time. I belong to the Parwae tramping club as well and have climbed Mt Wainiu and a few others in there of late, more rewarding but no where as much fun. Now, I wounder if sels1 will lend me his KLX. Cheers Wayne.
wayne708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #92
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,580
First adventure ride May 07

Just found some old photos and as I was a bit bored (waiting for dinner) I thought I'd post 'em

I went with Tim and his daughter Loren on his scrambler and Gerald on his weestrom over to the Wairapa for a weekend.

We rode from Paraparaumu over to Pahiatua via the saddle road and had a late morning tea at the black stump cafe.

We then headed out via Ngaturi and Makuri and onto Coonor Rd. First timme I'd ridden the XT on gravel and I had more than my share of moments...

We stopped where Coonor interesects with the Towai Rd

Towai Rd is absolutely awesome...

And the views ....

Stopped at Waihi Falls

And then on to the sprawling metropolis of Pongaroa

By this time it was late afternoon so we headed down to Masterton via some brilliant sealed roads to stay with Tims parents.

Next morning we headed to Carterton and hung a right into Kaipaitangata Rd where we fooled around by the river...

so after that we headed up the hill next to the stream (can't remember the name) and had a look at the view

Looks like Tim just said something that Loren didn't think was funny....

Then it was off via lunch at Martinborough to the Haurangi Rd

and into the Aorangi Forest Park

There was a BIG puddle at the beginning of the track to Sutherlands Hut - I was chosen as the test dummy to see how deep it was...

I got through OK and so did Tim and Loren but Gerald took the Weestrom swimming

It was quite slippery and Gerald and I stopped half way in while Tim (with Loren as ballast) went into the hut. He managed to dent his bash plate and bend the attachment points of the frame while bouncing off rocks in the stream crossings...

When we got back out Gerald went swimming again and caught his leg under the bike and was not very happy for a while. He had brown water slopping around in both headlights which didnt do the lamps much good when he turned the lights on...

It was getting late so we headed back over the Rimutukas to Tims workshop in Silverstream where we resucitated the weestroms head lights and put a back tire on it that actually had some tread....

A great weekend which got me seriously hooked on adventure riding.....

Mark_S screwed with this post 06-21-2008 at 05:45 PM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #93
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
A great weekend which got me seriously hooked on adventure riding.....
So you sold the XT and upgraded to a DT230

Sweet pics (again).
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #94
Zukin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:

so after that we headed up the hill next to the stream (can't remember the name) and had a look at the view

The hill is known as Mount Dick
Zukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #95
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukin
The hill is known as Mount Dick
we werent there long enough to get the place named after us....
Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #96
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
So you sold the XT and upgraded to a DT230
If I had a transformer that was the XT660 on the road and the DT230 on gravel and the WR450 on dirt I would be a happy camper.

The DT is the only one that will go everywhere the XT and WR will

Mark_S screwed with this post 06-13-2008 at 10:04 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #97
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Raumati-Taihape-Napier Sunday 13/8

I've been hanging out for a ride for weeks but crappy weather and then a cold and a minor thing called work kept getting in the way.

Finally all the stars came into alignment and I was gone....

I headed off at lunchtime on Sunday - it was sunny at home but by the time I was on the highway 1km away it was starting to rain. As I approached Levin the heavens opened and I seriously considered turning round and going back home (I'm a fair weather faggot as well as trailer trash). The rain lightened off just after Shannon and I stopped at Ashhurst for petrol and a snack. It felt good to peel all the soggy wet weather gear off....

Between Ashhurst and Taihape is some of the best gravel in the country - Started off on Zigzag rd and onto Ridge Rd - stunning views and awesome gravel...

Then on to the sprawling metropolis of Apiti and then north on Oroura Valley Rd and the Main South Rd. The roads were quite wet in places and gave me the odd puckering moment...

Then on via Te Parapara Rd - Karewarewa Rd - Auputa Rd - KawhatauValley Rd - Omatane South Rd and down Gorge Rd to Ohotu and up the main highway a few kays to Taihape.

Got to Taihape at about 5.30 after a brilliant 'pumped' ride. Grabbed a cheap room at the Taihape Motel - was dated but clean and tidy and for $60 I was a happy camper.

Mark_S screwed with this post 07-15-2008 at 08:14 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #98
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Raumati-Taihape-Napier Monday 14/8

Monday dawned frosty and with high cloud but no wind and no sign of rain - kewl...

I was excited as I have wanted to ride the Napier-Taihape Road for ages and today was IT.

I was in no hurry and wanted to avoid as much seal as possible so I headedout via Moawhango Valley Rd ...

Then Pukeokahu Rd....

Every now and then when the weather is right and the gravel is perfect and the views...
well I get a lump in my throat - like on Monday :)

It was a great day to be alive doing what I was doing

Then onto the mind blowing Matawhero Rd - it just kept getting better - swept damp gravel roads - sweet open corners - plenty of hills ....

And I hadn't even got to the Napier-Taihape Rd yet

It mustve been a bit chilly round here lately..

Taihape has got so many prime adventure roads around it - head east or west and your in gravel heaven.

Finally - onto the 'reason for coming'

Had a blast riding through to Kuripapango
As I came into Kuripapango the DT put on a teeshirt which said "I'm with STUPID"

A few sidetracks (this led to my luchtime stop) were well worth exploring.

More sidetracks...

I rode on out to Hastings and filled up with gas (10 liters into an 11 liter tank) and had a latte and cake. I was intending to stay in Hastings but it was really busy and I simply didnt want tobe around that many people so I headed off down Middle Rd towards Waipawa. This road is sport bike heaven - the little DT sung its heart out and I had a BLAST.

Got to the turn off to Waipawa but the other road was calling to me...
So being an obedient sort of guy I headed east along more sweet twisty tar out to Kairakau Beach - beautiful place - pity I couldnt find any accomodation as I would have loved to have stayed.

I felt the need for a bit more gravel (although the light was starting to go) so I swung south down Mangakuri and Clareinch Rd's

I then pottered (I was feeling pretty rooted by now) happily into the advancing darkness up Pourerere Rd to Waipawa - couldnt find anywhere to stay so headed of to Waipukurau and got a drab room in a motorcamp.

This day will be a hightlight in the book of memories....

Mark_S screwed with this post 07-15-2008 at 08:49 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #99
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Raumati-Taihape-Napier Tuesday 14/8

Feck - just hit the back button and lost all my typing......

Left Waipukarau about 10am - headed out east on Farm Rd and into Te Awa Rd

Then up Ugly Hill Rd (look at the map if you don't believe me) and into Lake Rd. Was planning to head to Akito via Te Uri Rd but was feeling pretty knackered after yesterdays fairly full on ride. So I decided to soft cock it and head to Dannevirke for lunch.

To get to Dannevirke I headed down Maunga Rd - woohoo - Do not miss this road.

Had a pie - roll - latte and gassed up in Dannevirke and headed south down the main road and took a left into Jackson Rd and headed towards the Makairo track for a look.

What can I say - Makairo was WET WET WET. I got through some easy bits of mud but reached a couple of bits that I knew I couldnt get back over if I went through. So I bailed - as it was I had to take off my load and carry it back out past the worst of the mud and then do an 80 point turn to get the bike facing back the other way - I would have been in trouble if I'd had a fat bike.....

Mikairo will have to stay on my "must do " list for a while longer.
The ride back out was great...

I headed to Woodville to put some air back in my tires and figuired I had time for one more 'interesting bit' before heading back home. I headed towards the Manawatu Gorge and took a left up North Range Rd.

What a great way to finish an awesome trip.

This is a hidden gem

North Range Rd comes out at the top of the Pahiatua saddle Rd. It went dark as I headed down towards Palmerston North. I headed on home via Shannon and got home about 7pm.

Another memorable trip - man I love this shit :)

Mark_S screwed with this post 07-15-2008 at 11:17 PM
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #100
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
I gotta ride me that road!!

Has the gravity attack left you speechless?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #101
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
That poodle skin is holding up well.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #102
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
I gotta ride me that road!!

Has the gravity attack left you speechless?
I done added some words...
Anytime you want to ride those roads and want company you just let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
That poodle skin is holding up well.
Nope - I've ridden on that poodle one time too many - its coming to bits. It gets the crap knocked out of it by my boots everytime I throw a leg over...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #103
Oaters
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Thumb great to be some folk

looks like you had a great time Mark - thanks for posting cheers Aslan
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #104
Qkchk
Learner Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Just looking at those pics makes me itchy with anticipation for the Kawhia Trip........ only 4 more weeks to go

Might have to go for another blat up Puhoi / Woodcocks on the weekend to get my fix.
Qkchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #105
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

I should have spent today returning from the MMMM but I wussed out cause I was scared of getting wet.

So my son Glen and I did the same old same old again - but it was heaps of fun anyway....

I find the wr450 totatally knackering to ride in tight singletrack (no photos - too dark in the really tight stuff) but I absolutely love it - its so stable and never gets unsettled regardless of what I run over. This was the first time I rode it since I replaced the 13T front sprocket with a 15T and combined with the rekluse clutch it turns the bike into an automatic. It is soooo smoooth for trickling through the trees and over slimy shit but anytime you want you can just snap the throttle open and it just digs a trench and launches you - its brilliant.

Glen blocks the only rut free line up the hill.....

Lunch stop

The rivers were way up from the recent rains and Glen didnt want me to film hom crossing in case he went tits up...

The mud was quite nasty in places - we both needed manual extractions from this..

Glen giving me the evils after I took my sweet time to help him out of the bushes to the right. "Wait I'll get the camera out"...

Another stunning day in our favourite playground and I'm totally rooted as usual.

Mark_S screwed with this post 08-11-2008 at 01:57 AM