User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Squeaky OP
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Universal RAM Mount - SPoT Tracker

If I don't find what will work well, I might just leave it in my tank bag, but I'd rather mount it.
Based on website pics and measurement, here's what I've found so far that might work. If anyone has had experience with any of these mounts, please speak up - whether it's been for the SPoT or some other gadget. None of the local stores have these "universal" type mounts on display to test fit.

SPoT Dimensions: 2.75 x 4.38 x 1.5"

CRADLE- Aqua Box II Weather Resistant- Medium
Inside Dimensions: 2.86 x 5.75 x 1.2"
I test-fit this one that a friend has for his iPod and it fits, but it's a tight squeeze (the top part is a flexible membrane that has enough give to accomodate the depth of the SPoT). The box seems pretty big and bulky, but it offers the advantage of quick removal by just opening the case. There's a Large version, but it seems way too big.

CRADLE-UNI FingerGrip -PLASTIC MEDIUM
Grip min 2.25/max 4"
Arms min .75/max 1.5"
Base 5 x 2.5"
Looks kinda funky and the base is a bit longer than the unit, but if the arms are grippy enough it would stay put but could it be in there tight enough to not fall out and still be easily removable for extended stops/overnight without it being a hassle or wearing out the grip/tension on the arms?

CRADLE-UNI QUICK RELEASE -PLASTIC SM
Base to top edge 3.5"
Rail Height 1.75"
Min/Max Width 1.675/2/75"
Looks like it might fit well enough, but with just the two side sliders compressing, is it enough to keep it from knocking loose? How easy is it to open/close the grip on the unit?

CRADLE-UNI QUICK RELEASE -PLASTIC MEDIUM
Base to top 3.875"
Rail Height 0.875"
Min/Max Width 2.25/3.5"
This one looks better than the small, but the side rails are shorter and might not get as good a grip. Again, ease of opening/closing the grip?

CRADLE-UNIVERSAL 2
Grip Min/Max 2.875/4"
Arm Length Min/Max .5/2.25"
Base Plate 4.5 x 3.0"
This one doesn't have a bottom rail or base, but it has spring tension from one side to jam it up against the other side. Is it enough tension to hold it, and how hard would it be to remove it?

Other than the universals, there are cradles that look like they might be close enough to work, but I can't tell from the pics. Any feedback on these (or other) units that will work to hold the SPoT in place GREATLY appreciated!
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
This is so easy I don't even have to show you a picture

Anyone notice yet that the holes for the screws that attach the battery backplate are EXACTLY the distance apart as the mounting holes on a standard diamond shaped Ram mout.

I removed the two screws that hold the battery backplate in place and found longer screws that fit the threads (whatever they are).

I added washers and, voila, custom mount.

Yes the screws must be removed to change the batteries, just like the original design.
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigX
Anyone notice yet that the holes for the screws that attach the battery backplate are EXACTLY the distance apart as the mounting holes on a standard diamond shaped Ram mout.

I removed the two screws that hold the battery backplate in place and found longer screws that fit the threads (whatever they are).

Yes the screws must be removed to change the batteries, just like the original design.
So simple I can't believe this is the first time this has been posted. I wonder how the case will hold up to abuse and vibration.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
[I]If I don't find what will work well, I might just leave it in my tank bag, but I'd rather mount it.
I don't get it. Why not just put it in your pocket? If you don't like stuff in your pockets when you ride, why not put it with your survival kit(you do carry survival gear if you are going back country enuf to need a tracker, don't you?)?

Why mount a piece of gear this compact that doesn't require your attention during the ride? I'd put it somewhere safe from the elements, vibration and theft. Somewhere within reach if I came off or left the bike for some reason.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I don't get it. Why not just put it in your pocket? If you don't like stuff in your pockets when you ride, why not put it with your survival kit(you do carry survival gear if you are going back country enuf to need a tracker, don't you?)?

Why mount a piece of gear this compact that doesn't require your attention during the ride? I'd put it somewhere safe from the elements, vibration and theft. Somewhere within reach if I came off or left the bike for some reason.
The SPOT requires a pretty clear view of the sky for tracking purposes. Several people have noticed that there were large gaps in their transmitted routes caused by their body shielding the unit while riding. It performs better when it's out in the open.

However, if you only plan to use the SPOT to send messages in case of emergency, then your suggestion would work just fine.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,543
+1 RedMenace
I wonder why you would want to attach it to the bike as well. What if you and your bike get seporated? I keep my cell phone in my pocket for he same reason. It's hard to call for help if you come off the bike and can't get back to it.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Red,

You're thinking of the SPoT as a PLB and if it were being used for that purpose you're right on - keeping it on your person is the right thing to do.

I think most of the folks around here are using the SPoT as a "Tracking" device though and therefore need to have it in a position where it has satellite reception all or most of the time they are riding. The GPS receiver in the SPoT is not a high-sensitivity receiver so it really needs a clear view of the sky to acquire and keep a GPS lock.

BigX,
As for mounting, maybe SPoTMaker can provide us with a bit more insight but I don't think the brass screw inserts that hold the plastic battery cover on are going to take the strain and vibration encountered by mounting it on a motorcycle for very long.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Red,

You're thinking of the SPoT as a PLB and if it were being used for that purpose you're right on - keeping it on your person is the right thing to do.

I think most of the folks around here are using the SPoT as a "Tracking" device though and therefore need to have it in a position where it has satellite reception all or most of the time they are riding. .
Oh. I guess I had a totally different mindset....makes some sense now.

Boy if I had the money, the communications array my get away from it all machine would sport (in addition to the camera booms and vid equipment already bolted all over the poor beast)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
The GPS receiver in the SPoT is not a high-sensitivity receiver so it really needs a clear view of the sky to acquire and keep a GPS lock.
I don't think the clear view of the sky is so much for the GPS receiver, it's for the satphone transmitter to get the signals back out. From what I've seen the GPS holds a lock just fine, even indoors. You can tell if the GPS is not able to hold a lock if the green lights start blinking out of sync with each other, and at least in my own experience that seems to happen pretty rarely.

Squeaky - are you finding that you're not getting the performance you want when it's sitting inside your tankbag? Like you, I was at first very interested in finding a way to mount it to the bike, and even considered just velcroing it to the top of my topcase. But after I got the device and started playing with it, I found that the performance turned out to be just fine with the unit just sitting in a top pocket in my tankbag. After thinking about it, I figured that's even a better solution. It's hidden, more secure, less affected by vibration, protected from the elements, etc. I guess if someone wanted to be able to send OK messages while on the move, a RAM mount may be the way to go. But I now have the unit in tracking mode pretty much whenever the bike is moving, so I don't tend to use OK messages that often anyway.

aciurczak screwed with this post 03-04-2008 at 09:40 AM
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Hmmm. Now you have me thinking. I wonder if they give a group discount for the units or the subscription service? Might be just the thing for keeping track of my back country tour groups...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
aciurczak

My experience with the SPoT has been that if I place the device on my person the body tends to block good GPS reception; as well as Satellite up-link. So having the SPoT in a Tankbag (cloth doesn't interfere with reception) or on a mount with a clear view of the sky is important for good performance. This is especially important in SPoT-Tracker mode since you won't get an up-link transmission until you have a good GPS lock.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Squeaky OP
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigX
Any chance you've tested the mount yet? Maybe on some washboard gravel?

Quote:
As has been said, users have seen less-than-desired results when carried close to the body. It doesn't stay flat with the logo up, so the torso and arms can get in the way of the signal transmission. My survival gear (I call it a decent first aid kit and tools) is inside my pannier - a steel pannier. No way the transmission can get through.

Quote:
Do you have one? Mine requires some attention, based on the way I've been using it. I send an OK at each gas stop or break - basically anytime I think I will be stopped for more than ten minutes. Some call it overbearing for my family to want to watch out for me on solo rides, but it's mine and I can do with it as I please. I'm not using it as a PLB and don't ride without my cell phone, whivh has coverage just about everywhere I go. I'm not a 'survivalist" type rider - when I'm solo I stick to roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aciurczak
Squeaky - are you finding that you're not getting the performance you want when it's sitting inside your tankbag?
It works great in my tankbag, but I have a mini tankbag and it was already pretty full with (what I consider) essentials before I got this. When I add the SPoT, it get so crammed in there I feel like I'm going to bust a zipper. Heck, I'm a girl - I just pack too much!
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
DRTBYK - Agreed in full! Proper orientation seems to be key to getting good performance out of these. It's also clear that both the GPS downlink and the satphone uplink need to be functional for the unit to perform at all (though I think it does send satphone signals blind even without GPS lock in 911 mode). From what I've read here and seen by looking at the light patterns, all I'm saying is that the 3 most common modes of operation seem to be:

- GPS working, Satphone transmitter working
- GPS working, Satphone transmitter not working
- GPS not working, Satphone transmitter not working

The 4th mode, with the GPS not working, but the Satphone transmitter actually able to get a signal out and received, seems to be a pretty rare case. Given equivalent conditions, it's easier for the device to get a GPS lock than it is to get a satphone signal out and successfully received.
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Other than the universals, there are cradles that look like they might be close enough to work, but I can't tell from the pics. Any feedback on these (or other) units that will work to hold the SPoT in place GREATLY appreciated!
I just heard back from my inquiry to my RAM rep about your question.

As far as he knows they are still in discussion with SPOT about a mount. Once they get a green light it can take anywhere from 45-75 days from design to distribution so it looks like they are still a ways out if they decide to make one.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
BigX
n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer: 609
Regarding testing...

I have NOT tested this under off-road conditions so if anybody uses it under those conditions YOU ARE THE TEST DUMMY and should let us know what happens to it.

This is where the SPOT engineers scratch their heads and say, "Gee, who figured there'd actually be a bunch of guys out there who would push our design to the limits."
BigX is offline   Reply With Quote