Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
blackbirdzach OP
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
The leaves are BEAUTIFUL in North GA right now!

I really wanted to go riding Sunday morning, but had no idea where I wanted to go. I still wanted to ride down to Jekyll Island, I even already had the maps loaded on my GPS. I woke up about 5:30 that morning and turned the blaring alarm clock off...and went back to sleep. Jekyll was out.

I woke up again about 8:00AM, got out of bed and went about my usual morning routine. Showered, brushed my teeth, ate, etc. As I consumed my breakfast I decided I'd head to Cheaha or North GA, one of the two. It was unlikely that I'd see any of you guys at Cheaha and riding with a few friends is usually more enjoyable than solo. So the choice was made and I suited up myself and the Nighthawk and hit the road heading North.

I arrived at the Shell Station about 10:00 and much to my pleasent suprise was Polystigma! I pulled up to a gas pump and topped off my tank. I wish I would have brought the last half of the bottle of Seafoam to run through my tank, but I left it at the office. Plus, the carbs were acting much better since I ran the first tank through. After I filled up I pulled over next to Poly's YZF and chewed the fat for a bit. He said there was a ride posted and at least a few more people would show up. Sweet!

Musicman arrived shortly after and unloaded his Futura which was running rough and the battery was dead. :( Hoping that it just ran a little low and needed a while to charge, we pushed it off and let it idle for a bit. Bloke showed up next...but not on the BMW GS like I had expected.....

May I presented, for those of you who have not seen it, a Genuine Scooter Company Stella with a Cozy sidecar.

While I was once again admiring the Stella, Tim pulled up on his newly aquired FZR600. I'm a fan of pretty much ANY sportbike from the late 80's and early 90's.

We all suited up and took off...well we did give Bloke a bit of a head start.

Polystigma behind me on the YZF..I always thought those bike were a great bargin on the used market. Good power, comfy, and cheap!

Musicman ahead of me on his slighty under the weather Futura.

We hadn't gone far when Musicman pulled over onto the side of the road. We rolled up next to him and he said he was turning back. The bike just wasnt' acting right. We asked if we should follow him back and he said no...it didnt' appear that it was going to die, it was just running poorly and he didn't want to take the chance. Hope you got it sorted out, Steve!

So the rest of us pushed on.

This was my first trip to the mountains on my new BT45 tires so I decided to take a somewhat relaxed ride up 129. The new tires felt great, the roads were pretty clear, and the weather was perfect! We got to the top of Blood Mountain and pulled over to get some pics and take a break to decide out next move.

Once I got back to my bike Asphalt Cycles (Tom) pulled up on a ZX6...although we did hear him coming about 5 minutes before he arrived. :lol:

As we sat there chatting, a buddy of his pulled up on a VFR and told us that he saw a VX Gti go flying off the side of the mountain. The four of us suited back up and hauled tail down to the crash to see if he was okay. He went off in the exact same turn that the two bikes crashed into each other on Terri's Memorial Ride. :( He was already out of the car and back up to the road when we got there, but the car was going to have to be pulled back up with a two truck. He was a VERY lucky young man. That could have been a really nasty crash.

From there we took Hwy 180 over to Dales were we saw Bloke and the Stella relaxing. It was nearing lunch time so we made the decision to go back down 129 to Dales. Tim, Alan, and a couple of others joined the group and off to lunch we went! I was leading as we went across 180 and noticed towards the end that there were only three of us left!!! Uh Oh! Turns out a Forrest Ranger of some type pulled over the rest of the group to ask them if they had passed a Van...the whole section was a no passing zone. They said "no" and he let them on thier way. Simple as that. :lol:

As we went up the backside of 129 I was wide open in 4th and Tim cruised by me sitting straight up looking as liesurely as one can look. I'm a little shy when it comes to horsepower. :o Oh and before someone starts the whole "It's not a race" arguement, I am fully aware. I just thought it was funny at the time. :lol:

Anyway, as we're going down the otherside of 129 we get held up in a road block by the State Pattrol. The guy was super cool and layed back. He told us they had the road blocked to pull the VW outta the ditch. When the Trooper on the other end of the road block gave us the "go ahead" he had us go first to inform the cars at the front of the road block that it was safe to go. It was easy riding from there down to Turners Corner for lunch.

we finished our lunch and ran back up 129, across 180 and back to Dales. Everyone took off...I was a little behind since I realized that I forgot to zip up the legs of my pants. Oppsie!

I'm just sorta crusing up and I spot Bloke.

And he was haulin the mail!!! down: down: down:

I have a good video of Bloke on three wheels too. I'll post it up tonight.

Once I hit Hwy 180 I just crusied and took a bunch of pics of the leaves. There's a couple of big ones in here, so it might take a minute to load.

I like this one a lot

When your taking a bunch of pics from the bike only about 1 outta 3 turn out okay...this is what the others look like.

Lunch time! back in a bit!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Nice!! Not quite the vibrant colors we get up in the north east, but heck, I could care less about leaves if I could ride all year!! THanks for posting
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
blackbirdzach OP
Daily Adventurer

Once we got back to Dales, Alan wanted a go on the scooter. I've got a short vid of him riding it that I'll put up later.

The bikes lined up while we take a break.

Bloke grabbed ahold of the puppy and gave it a good scratch. It was out in a matter of minutes. Too cute.

From there we split up to go home. Tom, Judd, Kristen and myself headed South on Hwy 60. At the top at the first overlook the GSP had a roadblock setup to check lincense, insurance, etc. Very professional crew and very nice.

I grabbed a pic before we left.

I followed Tom for a half mile or so one his Beemer.

I figured I'd shut the bike off and coast the rest of the way to the bottom just to see if I could make it.

I have a few more coasting videos, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

Anyway, I got all the way back to the parking lot we met at that morning and Bloke called my cell phone. The back wheel fell off his scooter and it shot him off the side of the road! :eek:

He was okay though. I rode back to where he was to get the keys to his truck and trailer then road back to the parking lot. I put my bike on the trailer, hopped in the truck and drove back to him. Once I got there I unloaded the Nighthawk and we put the Stella on the trailer then took back off for home. Thanks to Gixxermike and crew for waiting with Bloke since it was pitch dark outside by this time.

It was a great day and the weather was perfect. Until next time!!!!

bbz
Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
blackbirdzach OP
Daily Adventurer

Bloke putting the machete on the Scooter and hack.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,466
Nice ride and the pictures are ok. We'll be on your neighborhood at the end of this month, specifically in Helen, Ga. Hope to do some riding around the area. Hope that the weather isn't too cold for me.....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
BoonekaFa
n00bile misADVenture

Oddometer: 73
Lots of familiar faces here..

nice RR