Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #31
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwashburn
So we're kicking it in the sand for fun when I spot a muddy spot on the outside of a corner. I get the bright idea that I'll power slide through it. As I hit the gas I discover that the texture of the ground goes from sandy to a hard slipperly clay like surface and my bike spins around on me and drops me to the ground. This is the first time I've ever had to pick the 640A up and I'm surprised at what a friggin pig it is (I do love it though). I'm standing in the mud as I start to lift the bike. I get it about a foot off the ground when both feet slide out from under before I even know what is happening. Picture a superman position where my hands are on the bike but my body is straight out parallel with the ground as I drop straight down face first into the mud. We are only half a day into the ride and I'm already covered in mud from head to toe.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #32
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Should have read the whole thread to see that someone has already pirated my pic. Nevermind.
I'm gonna shower and head for the ER. I'll get the thread back on track when I return.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #33
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,043
OK, on to day 2. This is where the trip really started for me because Blakebird left us..., seriously, because this is where the pavement stopped and the fun began.
We woke up bright and early, packed up our crap, grabbed the maps off Blakebird since he was the one with the routes, the rest of us were just wining it(Yup, the maps that Phucknob loosed within 24hours ).
Quick look at my rear tire, and It was in serious danger of not making the rest of the trip. After onle a few miles the knobs were splitting at the base, both front and back sides. After a few comments about me not needing a twist throttle, a switch is all I need, same goes for the rear brake, it was decided that I should take it easy for the next few days......No Wheelies, No Skiding, no roosting......Dam boring, I felt like a kid who just had his toys taken away. Last time I run a Trackmaster II.

This is just one of many cracks in the tire.

So, we head back 5 miles or so to town to find gas, with our Spanish speaking Bitch (edeslaur), this was easy to find and set the pace for just about every small holding we hit along the way. May be $$$ over Pemex, but these local guys are dam convenient.

Here is me showing my best side, with Spanish Bitch fillig up my tank for me.....He is a well trained bitch!
Oh, there is the close up of the nice stickers S.B. made us put on our bikes (No not the flag), he was blabering on about in his post. Some gay thing about "friends for life"

So after gas, back down the road to Coco's.
This was a nice fun road, I'm sure just about everyone reading this knows it, since it's about the only road you can take down the west side of Baja.

Funny on the way out, we were saying how it was nice and fast gravel road with a few rocky sections thrown in for good measure, taking it at between 40 and 50mph, on the way back, we hit it about 20mph faster saying well what happened to that road, we were all sure we must have missed the rocky sections because they felt like gravel to us now after the other stuff we hit on the trip in between going out and coming back.

We took a quick stop at some place (Gonzarliz bay?).

OK, I'll let someone else can chime in, and finish off the rest of the day.

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 03-04-2008 at 07:52 PM
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #34
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I'm gonna shower and head for the ER. I'll get the thread back on track when I return.
Dude, I'm telling you, multiply 25.4 to get metric. 50.8mm may sound better than 2", but the ER will still tell you it's too small for a grown man.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #35
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
weight a minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
Dude, I'm telling you, multiply 25.4 to get metric. 50.8mm may sound better than 2", but the ER will still tell you it's too small for a grown man.
'Course if you're going to weigh it and convert to metric you would double it and add 30....oh wait, maybe that's if you take it's temperature.
Great report guys.
Does anyone know if there is a decent place to cross over the border, you know without contracting staph or something?
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #36
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
As Sheep Lover has already said, day 2 would have us finding gas. We stopped by the store were we got dinner the night before to ask for directions. Two blocks down at the end of the street was a man named Chilo who would have gas for us.

Sheep Humper and Eric getting gas. See Chilo in the background?

The 640A waiting its turn:

Arno just hanging out:

On the way to Gonzaga Bay we would attempt to find lunch at a few different places. As it turns out, this sign does not say anything about food but what the hell do I know. I go down to find the restaurant anyway, which of course doesn’t exist.

We did end up finding a restaurant but as we would find out most of the places on this route are only open Fri-Sun. Being Monday we are SOL.

We get to the store in Gonzaga Bay and are happy to find delicacies such as Raspberry Zingers, cookies and Gatorade.

From Gonzaga Bay we pushed on to Coco’s for a few beers. Really, this whole section seems uneventful now. At the time it was kick-ass fast paced gravel road riding. After the days to come it now feels like a boring fast paced grind to get to the good stuff. The views though were beautiful even though I didn’t really take many pictures.

Coco’s:

It was cool to meet Coco. He mentioned that the doctors are going to remove his other leg next month. He was very matter of fact about it and said that he is ready to get rid of it.

From Coco’s we slabbed it to Guerrero Negro. By time we got there the sun was already setting and it was cold as hell. I don’t think any of us expected it to be so cold. We got gas at the Pemex and grabbed some dinner at a restaurant across the street. The hotel next to the restaurant was full. Being that it was stinking cold and it was now fully dark we didn’t want to dick around so off the Desert Inn it was. The Desert Inn is the only hotel mentioned in the AAA guide for Guerrero Negro. It was a nice place but at $90 a night we thought it was a little over priced for Mexico. But they did have hot water, secure parking and a bar.

I'll let the other guys post their pictures from Day 2. I'm too lazy to dig through their libraries.
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #37
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
'Course if you're going to weigh it and convert to metric you would double it and add 30....oh wait, maybe that's if you take it's temperature.
Great report guys.
Does anyone know if there is a decent place to cross over the border, you know without contracting staph or something?
I get the impression that they are all this way. I would cross over in Mexicali again with no hesitation. While it was a nasty place I didn't feel unsafe.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #38
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,376
Quote:
I get the impression that they are all this way. I would cross over in Mexicali again with no hesitation. While it was a nasty place I didn't feel unsafe.
on last year's Copper trip, Sheepshagger and I crossed at Santa Teresa, a few miles west of El Paso. Very fast, not near a cheesy town on the MX side. Probably as pleasant a place to cross in/out as there is for a mainland trip.
I didn't think Mexicali was that bad... until I was on my way out. Then it was just the last 1/4 mile that blew.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #39
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Day 2 dawned beautifully. Why is it when you go camping, you're up with the sun, but when you go to work, 10AM is too early to crawl out of bed?
Going on this trip was a relatively last-minute decision on my part (I'm a slacker, you see), and I didn't want to take any of the big sleeping bags I had (strapping it to the back of the bike would be the only option). I didn't have a sleeping pad, but fall asleep often enough on the carpet in front of the TV, so figured I was fine (surprisingly, the ground WAS softer than a carpeted floor - the whole trip!). And I didn't want to spend $300 on a tent I might use for only a trip or two. So I totally cheaped on the equipment.

In the interest of space, I had actually paid attention to the weather reports and had packed this silly little flannel sleeping sack that was "good to 45 degrees" Yeah, my a$$. I froze my butt off that night, waking shivvvvvvering and ended up getting dressed in full gear, then crawling into the sack of nearly-uselessness.

The $27 tent I bought from Sports Authority worked out OK, but needed to be staked to stand up. Whatever, I didn't expect it to make it back when I bought it. It also made a heck of a racket in the wind. But turned out to be a great value for the $$ spent.

Back to the trip details:
----
BlakeBird had to turn back at this point due to the flu. It turns out that, IronButt rider tho he is, he didn't get as far as we expected - which meant he was hammered by this illness (and it dogged him most of the week, even after being back home). Great call on his part. Riding the KLR certainly didn't help, of course.

Of course, I'm still PO'd at my Kodak and I had a crappy night of sleep freezing my hiny off, so no pics until Gonzaga Bay. The road out there was dusty and we passed several vehicles, all American.

The idiot with the class C motorhome shocked and amazed us. Not that it made it, but that the owner was subjecting it to that beating. Or going 2mph and taking several days to do the route. He was stopped talking to someone when we passed him.

We'd hoped the Pemex was open at Gonzaga for SheepShagger. It wasn't, the doors chained shut.

Maybe the store has gas. Nope. Campsite? Nope. OK, nothing to it but to keep on keeping on!

The bikes parked outside the store, which is VERY well stocked. Sleeping bags, cans of tuna (I bought 4 and a jar of mayo, which would come in very handy later), water, bolts, all kinds of things one might need when desert sports are called upon.

More of this day coming, I'm cutting out to work now...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-05-2008 at 07:57 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #40
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
While we were at the store, we took a break and had lunch.

Jwashburn is looking at the military group we passed as they were hiking in. On past trips, we've found it's in our best interests not to try to take pictures of them.

This is how you know you made it to Gonzaga.

Now, as you recall, I need a better sleeping bag. The one in the store says it;s good to 50 degrees. It's definitely big. I pass anyways. FWIW, it's cheaper than in the US.

The road to Coco's is graded about once every 10 years, the washboards and rocks make doing 50+ a much better ride than 30mph. I grew up on roads like this, so I'm flying. Even so, there are plenty of things that make it clear that riding at night is bad mojo.

We make it to Coco's and stop for cerveza! The sign helps guide you.

It looks like this from further afar

From here it's the "good road" to pavement, about 4-6 miles we're told. It felt like longer, but I'll take it!

Once you hit pavement and head south for a while, you see these really strange trees/cactus. Anyone know what they're called?

Smoke/riding break!

More of this day in about an hour or two.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #41
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
That's a Boojum (Fouquieria columnaris). Pretty much indiginous only to Baja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Once you hit pavement and head south for a while, you see these really strange trees/cactus. Anyone know what they're called?

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #42
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

I had some concerns about a couple of members of the group:

I still have the flu-action going, so I'm going to keep the dialog to a minimum. Here's some more pics.

The beach south of San Felipe

Bags pressing down on the plastic makes for smelly, melty plastic:

The last pavement we'll do for awhile

We broke the "never ride at night" rule several times.

Nobody else, just us. No electricity, no generators, no crying babies (except the ones we brought). It was all good.

The moonrise was incredible. The photo doesn't convey how huge it was yada yada.

Blakebird said he left because of the flu. The real reason was the socks.
"My Python boot is too tight,
I couldn't get it off last night,
A week went by,
And now it's July,
I finally got it off,
And my girlfriend cried 'you got stinkfoot'"

And off he goes, hidden gas mask under the chin bar.

Vaya con Dios, Amigo!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #43
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
East, you mean.

Thanks
CA Stu
Yup...sorry about that.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #44
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
As Sheep Lover has already said,
(snip)
Sheep Humper
Dam, after a week of screaming my name, I'd figure you'd get it right by now.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #45
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

You got me there, I don't know how many times I yelled Sheep Shagger you assho1e... Sheep Shagger you douche bag... Sheep Shagger you phucknob...

All kidding aside, I wasn't the one trying to entice you with a sheep skin seat cover...

jwashburn screwed with this post 03-05-2008 at 12:52 PM