Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #46
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Update
----
Additional "testing" seems to indicate the Kenda lug issue early on was due to running offroad pressures on the street for high speed runs. I've replicated the behaviour on an MT21, 10psi at 80mph for 20+ minutes on a warm day was not enjoyed by all.
----

OK, long hour or two...

Now to bring you tire shots.

We were lucky, we all started out with a different set of tires so we'd be able to judge appropriately.

REAR tires:
KTM 525 - Kenda Trakmaster
KTM 640A - Dunlop 908RR
Husky TE610 - Continental TKC80
Husky TE610 - Pirelli MT21

The MT21 was great on pavement, I was very pleased with it. but it did wear fast on pavement. Wow.

And the winner is.... The 908RR by a freakin MILE. It's my next REAR tire (no one seems to like the front, or just that it seemed to take DRRAGS about 800 miles before it broke in. ).

The BEFORE pics are after the El Centro -> San Felipe -> Puertocitas -> Coco's -> Bahia De Los Angeles Junction (where the pics were shot)

After was in El Centro after the whole trip. Mileage was around 1400+ miles, right guys? The MT21 had about 200 miles on it before starting out, the TKC80 had about 500 miles on it, while the 908RR was ridden from LA down to El Centro. The Kenda had run up and down the block a few times.

I'll do the before and after shots here to make the point clear

SheepShagger's 525 w/ Kenda TrakMaster after a few pavement and offroad miles. Yes, one of those rips is on the BACK side of the lugs. The front edges were significantly rounded off before he even crossed into Mexico, they wore so fast on pavement.

At this point, he decided to take it easy. Good call...

Kenda After - notice the cracks and remember... SheepShagger [had to] took it easy for a few days. The rest of us didn't really...

Husky TE610 w/ MT21 (that's me). This lug eventually ripped off near the very end of the trip, holding on a suprisingly long time! They wore pretty fast on pavement, better on dirt. The middle lugs have a groove in them when new, like you see on the side lugs. It went away pretty fast.

Pirelli MT21 after (it slipped a bit more going straight, but still handled corners great)

DRRAGS Husky TE610 with TKC80 (somehow I missed a pic of the tire only). All bets were that this tire was going to be toast since it came with such short lugs.

TKC After (bets lost)

jwashburn's KTM 640A's Dunlop 908RR. This might as well be the After picture too...

After (might as well look up, it looked nearly the same!)

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 11:32 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #47
edeslaur
San Diegan

And now back to our trip....

Here you can see the first lost bolt of the trip. What, not planning on bringing spare bolts (or at least friends with spare bolts like I did)?? Expect a loooong trip.

If you look closely, you can see the rear reflector at the bottom of the plate is broken. My Husky did the same thing. Oh well, reflectors aren't for offroading after alll! At least we know the Huskies will be consistent!

As you can also see, my Leo Vince and that stock turn signal don't like each other. No worries, that turn signal gets ripped off by the rear tire (140) much later in the trip...

We were slabbing it to Guerrero Negro, so that's it for my shots for this day.

Yes, you can get gas at the Bahia De LA junction - from the Toyota pickups parked there. Nope, no pinging or performance issues. Yes, it's much more expensive than from the Pemex. The shade is from the abandoned Pemex station. Use the trucks (like the red Toyota in the pic with DRRAGS fixing his plate)...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #48
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
REAR tires:
KTM 525 - Kenda Trakmaster
It was a Trakmaser II, aparently they are better than the Trakmaster....God, I hate to think what the Trakmaster was like.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #49
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwashburn
You got me there, I don't know how many times I yelled Sheep Shagger you assho1e... Sheep Shagger you douche bag... Sheep Shagger you phucknob...

All kidding aside, I wasn't the one trying to entice you with a sheep skin seat cover...
Hey, it would have worked, but he only had eyes for Ewe...

BTW, that AlaskaLeather pad saved my a$$ - figuratively and literally!! Before it, I could ride 130 miles and I was ready to be done for the day. Now, bear in mind, on mr R1100S or my past K1200RS, 1,000+ miles is a good START!! (yes, I have an IronButt license frame somewhere)

While my a$$ hurt at the end of the long pavement days, it was still better than after 130 miles on the stock seat.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #50
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
It was a Trakmaser II, aparently they are better than the Trakmaster....God, I hate to think what the Trakmaster was like.
Good point, I didn't take a pic of all the missing lugs. 5 at the end, right?

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
BTW, that AlaskaLeather pad saved my a$$
It matched your box nicley..........
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #52
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
The D606's held up really well, I thought the 1,000 mile drone back to my Jeep would show a lot more wear, but they held up pretty good. Of course, the KLR is the weak sister in the 'putting power to the ground' category, so not much of a surprise there.

I'm really surprised how tore up the Trakmaster II's got, they didn't do anything like that on my XR last year.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #53
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Good point, I didn't take a pic of all the missing lugs. 5 at the end, right?
That sounds about right.....worst part was when they ripped off and took 1/2 the carcass with them.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
I'm really surprised how tore up the Trakmaster II's got, they didn't do anything like that on my XR last year.
We saw a DRZ? YZ? 400 at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio that had a rear TrakMaster II and it didn't have a lug missing or a single crack (but it was quite worn).

I would venture to say they may be OK for lower power bikes, but I wouldn't use one on a bike with some muscle. Especially if the throttle is a device you use to help steer (which I do, but I had the Pirellis and was overall happy with them)

Or if you wheelie.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #55
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I took this pic for you, sheepbagger.

Country market. Lots of good stuff in there.

Filled up like this way more often than via the pumps.

The Great Pumpkin, south of San Felipe.

I never would have guessed that Coco is 70.

He didn't have any stickers though. Bummer.

Don't forget to sign the book!

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #56
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

The occasional slab wasn't always a bad thing. Gives you time to look at the scenery.

1st time breaking rule #1 (driving at night). A couple of us just had to have a shower, as if there were someone to impress out there in the desert. This place was $90US a night double, but it was pretty swanky.

Eric's proud of himself that he broke my bed.

So what's worse, having a liter of water open in your waterproof topcase, or a can of beer open in the not-waterproof topcase? One, the contents are guaranteed to get wet, the other, your clean clothes will be dry, but stink of beer. OTR laundry

Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #57
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

The next day found my bike kind of trapped between Eric's and laundry hanging from the line. I was feeling like nailed cat shit, the flu hitting me full force, so Eric manhandled my bike out of the way. In doing so he noticed that the subframe moved. Sure as shit, one bolt backed out and the other snapped in half. I had a spare subframe bolt, but the challenge was getting the threaded half out. Eric borrowed a screwdriver and "hammer" from the locals and managed to tap it out. All I could do was sit and watch. Thanks guys!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #58
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

This is the extent of Phucknob working on his bike

Lucky I carry a cheap ratcheting tie-down, doubles as a great toe rope since you can separate the ratchet part. Here someone was too lazy to pull the top subframe bolts, so we used it to pull the subframe up and out of the way.

Next point of call was to stop S.B. from wining about how cold he was. Remember a few posts back? So off to get a sleeping bag for him. The amazing part was it stayed mounted like this on his bike the rest of the trip.

Phucknob feeling sorry for himself, probably because none of us were giving him any sympathy. But later in the trip when he REALLY deserved some (as you will find out) we just ignored him even more
Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #59
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
908rr

Bitchin!!! I've got a new 908RR rear sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted for next week's trip to Baja. Looks like it should be good for the whole trip (probably 2000 miles).

Quote:

jwashburn's KTM 640A's Dunlop 908RR. This might as well be the After picture too...

After (might as well look up, it looked nearly the same!)
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #60
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Flu!

I thought he looked like that all the time!

Enjoying the RR..
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote