Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #61
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Bitchin!!! I've got a new 908RR rear sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted for next week's trip to Baja. Looks like it should be good for the whole trip (probably 2000 miles).
What bike you taking, 640 or 525? I've run through a few 908's now and they are great on a 2.5 and 4.5" rim (640 & 990), but too big for the 2.15" on a 525 in my opinion. Bike turns like a slug.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #62
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
What bike you taking, 640 or 525? I've run through a few 908's now and they are great on a 2.5 and 4.5" rim (640 & 990), but too big for the 2.15" on a 525 in my opinion. Bike turns like a slug.
The 640 ADV is going. My 520 made a horrible noi$$$$e on the last ride and stopped running. I haven't had time to take it apart to diagno$$$e the problem.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #63
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
From Day 2, I'm not used to having to do 60 on slab, so I think I fell asleep through a good part of the slab. Yes, I meant "only." But I totally woke up for the [saguaro's cousin's] cactus forest when we dropped into the valley.

When we got to the hotel, I noticed that water bottle #1 had leaked into my topcase. The bottom half is definitely waterproof, which means all the paper became paper machier. The culprit was a loose lid. I'm a slow learner, as you'll soon find out...

The hotel gave me and jwashburn a chance to wash our socks, t-shirts, and unmentionables. Yaay, several more days where I don't have to flip the stuff I'm wearing inside out for the next day!!

While they were drying, I went over to the smoker's room and gingerly sat on Arno's bed. I was shocked and amazed when the leg snapped and the bed corner hit the ground. Since I weigh like 260# in gear, I occasionally snap things. Usually a leg off of one of those stupid plastic patio chairs. Infrequently, something more substantial. I think it's infrequently, anyways.

After pulling the frame and seeing it was a crappy weld from someone else who had broken it,, then sharing lies about all the beds we've broken with company, and finally laughing that he was going to have to sleep in a cockeyed bed, we headed out for a drink. Yaaay!!

The next morning, we packed up and headed out to the bikes. They were in a secure lockup area, but even so it was nice to see they were still there.

What DRRAGS' forgot to mention is that in manhandling his bike I actually broke the bolt 'cause "I's so stwang!" No, just kidding - it was already busted.

I was thrilled we found it when and where we did. The rear shock mounts to the subframe, so things could have gotten really fun away from anyone with a big enough screwdriver. It was even cooler we found it when we did since the left bolt was still there - just not threaded into anything.

Note to self - bring a large standard screwdriver for future broken bolts. The hammer can be any old rock - assuming there's a rock handy...

The locals providing the tools happened to be the fellows driving the propane truck. The big brass thing is one of their adapter. We soon had an audience of about 7 hotel workers and propane guys watching us.

SheepShagger, being the couth, well-tooled individual he is, fully expected the bolt removal process to be fruitless. Being the backwoods 4x4 dweeb that I am, I've done this probably hundreds of times, so I had it coming out before he could repeat the though too many times and convince the bolt otherwise.

While we were trying to get DRRAGS' bolt extracted, my wet stuff from my topcase was drying in the sun. Yaaay!

It got hot and was humid, so my t-shirt washing job from the night before was quickly moot.

After that, it was to the Baja Del Sur border crossing and to Guerrero Negro where we learned the Mexican word for sleeping bag appears to be "sleeping" Then it was onto about 5 shops to ask until we stopped right next to the first shop we had asked at and found one there. And ONLY one!

My brand new Mexican Coleman sleeping bag was 200 pesos (< $20), and I got two plastic bags to go with it and a baseball cap since I left mine at home. Man, it was going to be NICE to be sleeping warm again. (it was nice too!)

Smart as I am, I had mounted bungee buddies to the lid of the topcase. Technically, they were there to provide an anchor for when it ripped off as I expected it to. I love being disappointed in this way.

Fortunately, I had also brought along the net (2 actually), and was able to easily mount the "sleeping" in a way that I thought it would still be there that night.

The only downer is that now my camelback was hitting the sleeping bag and squishing the water out of the bite valve. I'd have to adapt.

After that, we headed to Laguna San Ignacio with the intent of following part of the Baja 1000 route down the sand road.

The town had this really cool square with awesome trees and a great stage

in town is this mission. Since this was a "Let's just check everything out" run, we didn't stop and see many sights. But I know where I'm going back to, and this is on the way - it's the Sierra de San Francisco and faces that great square above.

This was one of the smoother roads. Clearly graded since the Baja 1000.
Look at that blue sky. Is that not fantastic?

Here comes DRRAGS with that new bolt in his subframe...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-05-2008 at 06:39 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #64
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Ok, here's where I get totally PO'd with my Kodak and that datestamp thing. If only it would show up in the display, I could have turned it off, oh, at least 2 days before!!!

If you want bigger pics, PM me, these are sized for this forum.

Check out what we found as we ran through the salt flats. It was ultra cool

That's salt, and a lot of it, caking the piece of wood and the rim of the pool

SheepShagger and I liked the throttle, so we'd get a bit ahead from time to time. Bad team players apparently...

Yeah, I don't see being able to Photoshop that out... #$&*(#$*

Then, about 1000 feet further on, a GREEN pool!

Check out that cool "sleeping"! I felt like a 1970s motorcyclist crossing the country with my bedroll.

It's quite empty out here. Don't crash, it could be quite a while before help comes.

Remember how I said not to crash out here?

Here's a pic looking back from the direction we had come.

See that little dark rectangle just to the right of the road above the washed out section? It's an orange sign that says "Detour" in spanish. Here I am TRUCKING along looking to the right where the ocean is (left in the pic below), when I look at the sign. When I finally managed to translate it, I was running out of road. FAST!

What you can't see are my brake tracks going about 30-40' PAST that sign.

SheepShagger and I were parked here taking pics when JWASHBURN and DRRAGS came through. JWASHBURN was leading and did a similar version of the same thing I did. I think the brake tracks veering off the road, and the fact that SheepShagger and I were waving to our rights like mad, may have tipped him off.

What's cool is the ground is littered with shells. Shells that look really, really old, not fresh.

It's still early, we haven't even stopped for lunch yet!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-05-2008 at 06:24 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #65
DagNasty
Banned

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
ouch...that could be a nasty get off
DagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #66
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

This was a really cool spot, and looking back at the trip, it was at this point that we all started messing around, there are some fun pic's coming and a few broken parts.
Here are Jim and Arno.

This water was quite amazing, as you can see from some of the other pic's. But what you don't see is it's salt water and at least 1 mile from the coast.

A quick blast further down the track and we stop again. Phucknob was doing some kind of dance, not quite sure what it was called, but later on in the trip, we named it the PeglegPhuckstick. (Ya won't be seeing this kind-a action from the old fart for much longer )

OK, Someone else needs to post the next set of pic, since I don;t have them.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #67
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I have to agree that day 3 is the day when we really started having fun. The previous days were nice, and scenic and fast and beautiful but on day 3 the real fun began. That's because the route started to get more challenging and the riding itself became our focus.

Here is DrRags first thing in the morning:

We had a little slab to run to get to San Ignazio. Here is a fence line we stopped at for a break:

Sheep Shaggers old girlfriend:

Arno, uh, checking out a cactus:

About 10 miles outside of San Ignazio heading towards the whale watching launch:

This is a long straight fast road:

Arno praying to the salty gods:

Not the same salty gods as these guys:
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #68
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwashburn
Not the same salty gods as these guys:
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #69
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:

Arno praying to the salty gods:

And a fat lot of good that did him....
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #70
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810

Sorry for the lack of commentary. Just got back from the bone doctor and I'm a little tired.

Rice and Beans

Reminds me of the graveyard from EasyRider

jwashburn tearing it up.

No timestamp on this one

I told Chip not to drink it, even if it does look like Dr. Pepper. Now he's got a tummy ache

A long way from nuthin'.

Some folks just can't control themselves.

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #71
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Hay, we forgot lunch at Rice & Beans followed by my nice GPS wanter round the town a few times. Anyone have any pic's of that?

[edit]
Crap....ignore that, pegleg just posted a few.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #72
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Playing at the saltflats at a secret location (meaning, I forgot).

Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #73
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

I learned how to be quite comfortable in sand.

This turned into the Road of Endless Whoops.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #74
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
And the whoop gods would have their sacrifice, note the signals:

I think that we all used every last inch of travel in our suspension during this section.
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #75
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrags
Playing at the saltflats at a secret location (meaning, I forgot).
What Pegleg isn't telling you, is He and Myself decided to do constant large donuts until one of 3 things happened, we got dizzy and fell off, wussed out and high sided, overly confident and low sided. I did this a few times until I was tired or eating salt. I soon found out highsiding while standing dam well hurts, even on sand, and highsiding while sitting wasn't much better.
Someone has a pic of Stooges synchronized crashing.

Quote:
And the whoop gods would have their sacrifice, note the signals:
I think that we all used every last inch of travel in our suspension during this section.
Yup, and I wish it was JUST my signals that broke.

These were a really nice section of decent sized whoops, problem (for me anyway), was the light was playing havoc on me, and while I was jumping off one whoop and trying to land on the down side of the next, I had the bike landing perfectly where I wanted it to....but the dam whoops kept moving...sly little buggers they were. As some point I kept hearing this rubbing / grinding noise every time I landed, not thinking much of it, I carried on and it just got worse and worse, so I slowed down and just started doing tiny little jumps, barley getting any air, and the noise was still there, not wanting to stop since I was having so much fun, I rode it for another 1/2 mile or so, at which point I couldn't stand it any more and had to stop.
OK, not so bad, just loosed one turn signal and busted up all the brackets. Bending it all straight again I realized my rack was broken as well. BUGGER. So that put pay to my fun for the rest of the day. Lucky it was getting dark, so I just putted along for the next 5 miles or so until we found some place to camp. Eric was nice enough to play "follow my sheep" and pick up any luggage that may decide it's time to have a nap along the way.