ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #151
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Shit Ryan, best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waiting to hear your status, and that of the KLR....

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #152
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
just got off the phone with WFOhillbilly. He is home and doin ok.Gonna be down for a couple of months. He will post up what happened as soon as he's settled in.Looks like the klr is a duster.But hey,they make'm everyday.Just glad it wasn't worse

Mike
That sucks. Glad to hear it was just the bike and some easily mended bones.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

PM me his address if you would so I can drop him a card, or something.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #153
Stedlo
Out and About

Oddometer: 190
Mike:

Did you guys ride the loop road? What shape was it in on the Blackwater end? We are heading back up there soon.
Stedlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #154
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Damn WFO, sorry to hear about your crash. Heal up quick!

One of the riders in our group went down on our way out of Laurel Fork
on Sunday. She's doing ok though and her F650 should be pretty easy
to get roadworthy again.

Be safe out there everyone
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #155
Stedlo
Out and About

[quote=klrmike]I believe the loop road is FR 13 that ends up at the SP? Yes,we rode it.I went thru there two weeks ago on the Tiger and it was slippery.Went thru monday and was ok. We just stay in the ruts and out of that nice black mud Here's a few pics of the loop road

Mike:

Man that is it alright! Isn't it great!! Thanks for the pics. Last time we were there was last fall. Oh yea ... better get back to work too or boss will be in with pink slip

Steve
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #156
motox570
Halfpint

Oddometer: 2
Dang Ryan!! I am sorry to hear about your get off!! I hope you get well soon, and don't worry about the bike, they make'em everyday. You on the other hand, well you know. just get well soon.

Mike glad to hear you Kay, and John had a good ride. Sorry i couldn't make it. I have been working and keeping up with my boys and their baseball. Sooooo, may not ride for a while or at least until baseball season ends!! Later, Chris.
motox570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #157
Stedlo
Out and About

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
If ya like that ridin,pick up the canyon rim road between Parsons and Thomas. Rocky and remote
I have been on the Loop Road (FR13) and the old railroad grade in the canyon (by bicycle and foot) lots of times, but not sure about the rim road. Is there a FR# for it? Is it the one that goes to Olson Fire Tower?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #158
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Best wishes on your recovery, Ryan. Crappy things shouldn't happen to good people.

B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #159
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,109
I hope all is well Ryan and you have a speedy recovery. Also if the bike is salvageable at all just post up and let us know. I could see a garage day for area riders to bring extra parts from their KLRs and we can mike your bike a mutt from 84-08.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #160
Tetched OP
Local Village idiot

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedlo
I have been on the Loop Road (FR13) and the old railroad grade in the canyon (by bicycle and foot) lots of times, but not sure about the rim road. Is there a FR# for it? Is it the one that goes to Olson Fire Tower?
FR 18.Leaving Parsons on 219 towards Thomas about halfway up the mountain you turn right towards the fire tower.Once on that road it's the first left.I don't think there's a sign there.On the Thomas end it's Douglas road.Goes out by the old school where the have the Mountain made crafts store.You'll go thru Douglas to pick it up.The lower trail is foot travel only,the upper trail is fun,fun,fun
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #161
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Hey ya'll. I just want to say thank you guys and gals very much for your support. Its been a rough couple days. I will be ok though. I got very lucky. The accident was my fault. I was riding south down RT.2 and came over a hill. I was temporally blinded by the sun glare. When I could see again it was to late. A car was stopped in my lane to turn and I couldn't get stopped in time. I did manage to get slowed down to about 20 mph and angled the bike to the right to try and go around them but didn't quite make it. I made contact with there rear bumper. Looking at the bike it looks as though, the left side peg area is what hit them.

The old "ATGATT" saying is true. I almost walked away untouched. The gear really did its job. I will be sidelined for at least 8 weeks. My tiba bone was fractured about 6 inchs above the ankle. The ankle was completely dislocated, and I also broke 4 other bones in my foot area. The doctor also told me that my mid foot suffered a dislocation. I went thru surgery Monday night and got some plates and screws in the ankle and pins to hold the foot bones together. He said no weight bearing for at least 8 weeks and then maybe I would be able to start some light rehab on it.

The KLR wasn't so lucky. Klrmike showed up today and we went out and looked at it for the first time. It appears that the subframe is bent outta whack and all the plastic on the left side is trashed. The right side and motor is in fine shape though. She starts up and runs good I will see what the insurance adjuster has to say about it this weekend.

Here are a few pics. Sorry about the quality. I didn't have the gumption to wheel it outside for better lighting.

Pain meds make you forget about reality

Thanks again for the kind words and I will see you all out on the road this summer for sure. After all there are many roads I havent traveled and lots a pie I haven't ate.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
WFOhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #162
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,163
That's the spirit Ryan! Darn gald you had the gear on and that this is just a bad experience not a life changing one. Heal up and make sure to keep us Ohio Folks updated as events unroll.

Maybe your Dad can hook up a side car?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #163
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Ryan, sorry to hear about the accident and I hope for as speedy a recovery as possible for you!

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #164
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Dayum son - that's a heck of a way to get attention.

Glad you are keeping the spirits up. If you need any help with anything, just holler.

And remember that KLR's are a hardy machine. Have HC take a look at it before you declare it a goner. Amazing what he can resurrect.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #165
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Do what the Doctors say Ryan..... Don't rush it, and you'll be back 100% before you know it

Glad it wasn't worse. I believe in the Law of Averages. The longer we ride, the higher our chances.... Glad yours is over, and your able to tell us all about it.

-Shawn
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote