ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #2056
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
if you ran 555 in ohio you could make it over to Sistersville St Mary's area and ride the ferry across the Ohio river. Then you could ride Rt 16 all the way to the southern border of WV down towards blue field.

You could head farther south towards Ravenswood and Ride 33 all the way across to VA.

or take 33 to 36 to 4 to 16 to 39 to 55/150 to 219 to 250 and take 250 to Staunton Va. or or or or or

With no dirt involved you still have great choices and pop out on the Va border any where between Winchester to Wythville.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2057
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
Eduardo ,

I believe if I was traveling from North to South thru my state on a road bike I would pick up U S 250 out of Moundsville at the Ohio/WV border on the Ohio river and ride her all the way to Staunton Va. Lots and lots of entertainment for ya with a few areas of restful road but scenic. Once you hit Staunton you can stop at Five Guys and have a good burger and congratulate yourself on a good traverse of some really cool twisties

Does away with trying to follow several routes and you can turn of the friggin GPS and do it the old fashion way by just lookin over the bars
That sounds cool

If you are on a cruiser, especially a pretty and rare one, I would skip the 61/ dirt road/green bridge detour I gave you IF you decide to use the Midland Trail (60).
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #2058
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Eduardo ,

I believe if I was traveling from North to South thru my state on a road bike I would pick up U S 250 out of Moundsville at the Ohio/WV border on the Ohio river and ride her all the way to Staunton Va. Lots and lots of entertainment for ya with a few areas of restful road but scenic. Once you hit Staunton you can stop at Five Guys and have a good burger and congratulate yourself on a good traverse of some really cool twisties

Does away with trying to follow several routes and you can turn of the friggin GPS and do it the old fashion way by just lookin over the bars
This is actually the original route I came up with. Fun, nice curvy roads, but not too desolate as I am riding solo. It also drops me off in the right spot to get home!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #2059
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Eduardo ,

how does this work?
I broke my gps on vacation and I was almost late for work this morning .

P.S. some of the best rides I have been on I was lost.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #2060
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Can anyone from here recommend a good place to have lunch around New Martinsville? I'm planning to ride that way Saturday with some friends and want to stop in the area for lunch. Quinet's? Scream 'N Dogs?

Not to keen on fast food or pizza. Just a nice little mom & pops.
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #2061
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR

P.S. some of the best rides I have been on I was lost.
Until you run out of gas your never lost, just exploring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1

Take 61 alllll the way until it does a hairpin turn to take you up and into the mountains. Instead of taking that turn, go onto the road that is kind of like going straight. I forget the name of this road... but it's a small road that goes in the middle of a bunch of WV houses. Stay on this road and eventually it turns to dirt next to the Kanawha River. My top speed on this dirt road was 65, it only lasts for maybe 3 miles but always has a beautiful view of the river to your left and beautiful waterfalls to your right. Maintain a higher speed and the pot holes won't be a problem. Wave to the cars that have to do 10 mph if you see any If your bike is a dual sport, this won't be a problem. My friend can do this road on his Honda CB600 "streetfighter" bike, but has to do 15 mph. Even if you go that slow, it's still a great little road, IMO.

WV is a beautiful place.
im gonna try to find this in reverse on my next day off

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes

WVdyhrd screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 08:41 PM
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #2062
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Quinets

There IS another family run shop in N M but the name escapes me at the moment. If you're going up 26 there is new blacktop close to Bloomfield on 26 and 260 from Bloomfield to New Mat is ALL new blacktop

Probably hop the boat ride from Fly to Sistersville then head north. Not sure if I'm going to take 260 to New Mat or take 26 to 800 then east. Riderdonald is going also, he may have some ideas for lunch.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #2063
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdddvr
Eduardo,
I just came back from a run up to MI myself. One road I think you might enjoy in SE OH is the Triple Nickle. OH 555. It has rapid change in elevation "contour Lines on map close" along with some nice curves. You can pick it up just south of Zanesville OH. From there you will exit onto 50 and cross the river into WV. From there the routes are frankly endless. That is but one road from my ride. Let me know if you have more interest in some other routes. Happy to share. I was rolling through WV when I ran into KLRMike and Wvdhyrd on a back road. My experience with WV inmates? These folks are top notch! They have some of the best riding period, and they welcome all riders.
Gotta watch that 555. I heard that there are some nuts that live right off of it
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #2064
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
im gonna try to find this in reverse on my next day off
It's really not something I'd ride 2 hours to find. Like I said, the little road is only a few miles long until you get to the bridge that takes you back to 60, but I absolutely love it.

But since it is close by and it is often on my way to something... I often take it. I had one of my friends (with the previously mentioned CB600) race me to the middle of the bridge one day from my house in Montgomery. He took 60 all the way, and I took 61 and that dirt road. I was curious to see if my way was more fun AND quicker at the same time.

He ended up beating me by what he says was a minute and a half, but the bastard cheated. We agreed on no breaking of the speed limits. And, by some miracle, he didn't get caught behind people on 60 and didn't get stopped by the stop light, etc.

So I decided that the route with the dirt is just as fast as the boring one without. So why mess with the other one?

My rides tend to be more epic because of the music I listen to, so I might be blowing all of this out of proportion. But dammit I love it out there.

The main attraction we have out in the Montgomery area for dual sports is Morris Creek. And I'll host a ride there not too long after I get back to school, assuming I don't break my KLR before then.

MaverickH1 screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 09:44 AM
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2065
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Got two new back tires on last night, yes two. One for street and one for the mountains. Gonna have to pass on the saturday ride tho. Mid 90's so I figure I'll be working. Have a good ride tho. First cooler weekend tho I'm heading for the mountains if anyones interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
Probably hop the boat ride from Fly to Sistersville then head north. Not sure if I'm going to take 260 to New Mat or take 26 to 800 then east. Riderdonald is going also, he may have some ideas for lunch.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #2066
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby
Gotta watch that 555. I heard that there are some nuts that live right off of it

...Especially down toward the southern end.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #2067
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Soo last week dropped the tiger in the garage. Nowhere to jump between the wall and the bike so brilliant me decided to try to catch the bike to keep it off my knee. Well I caught it with a might grunt and held it till I got out of the way.

Now for a week my shoulder, despite stretching and crazy mounts of OTC painkillers, has swollen and is limiting my mobility. So headed to the doc. Severe strain of my upper trap, signifgant reduction in head movement, etc. Off for an MRI today and starting phys therapy. No major tearing found in MRI but a cpl weeks of pressure and exercise therapy to reagain full mobility. Thank god for insurance haha.

The docs/radiolgy people/and therapist stared in disbelief that I'd been working and riding, and that I commuted to them on the bike. they didn't understand I guess that that IS my transportation, not just a toy.

The best news and most important out of all this was nothing more to the bike then a mirror! She's running like a champ, like always

All I'm getting around to saying is off tomorrow if anyone is up for some local stuff. Hit me up, to pretty to sit inside to long.

p.s. my dinner usually involves a beer, and today it also included 800strength ib, shoulda reconsidered that so no riding tonight

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #2068
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:

Hey Ed

Sounds like you all had a great vacation.
Even had a Chef show up from what I hear
Wish I coulda made it over,just wasn't in the cards
Hiya Mike, yeah had a great vacation, personal chef on the steaks, Mom on a wood stove in cabin, Dad filleting bluegill. Good times.

So who is going to the euro trash ride thingy next month?
Im not used to rallys that dont have door prizes and dinners etc?

http://www.nittanyroadriders.com/WV-EuroRider/WV10.htm
Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #2069
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
Hiya Mike, yeah had a great vacation, personal chef on the steaks, Mom on a wood stove in cabin, Dad filleting bluegill. Good times.

So who is going to the euro trash ride thingy next month?
Im not used to rallys that dont have door prizes and dinners etc?

http://www.nittanyroadriders.com/WV-EuroRider/WV10.htm
Depending on the job search I totally plan on being there. No doorprizes/dinners but also no cover charge

Your right though they could at least have stickers....god how i love stickers.

May need to find someone to help me with those front calipers soemtime before then that is if i can't do it this weekend, try it first then ask right?

Anyone up for a spin sat or mon?

p.s. ona- i thought i grew up with some dysfunction (mostly great though) but cal and niko need to go on springer!!!! haha

Shakes
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #2070
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
That's the same weekend as the Buell rally at North Bend so I guess they'll be lots of bikes around. We had 40+ bikes show up last year.

Today is my birthday so my wonderful wifey took this pic from Turkey bone road last fall.

and had me a birthday cake made.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote