ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #2086
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
October 17th is Bridge Day 2009

Hey there,

Like many WV'ians I'm proud of and really enjoy bridgeday. That said would anybody be interested in making a generous ADV showing at this years festivities? Maybe find some local camping, enjoy the festivities, chew up some local roads. If anyone else is interested hit me up, so we can figure out camping, etc (the area gets busy if you've never been) ahead of time. I'll be happy to do the coordinating if it's more then a couple people.

Not necc an organized event, but something we can all enjoy with other adreniline junkies.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #2087
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
It was wearing good. I took it off to save for the next Laural ride. I have Kendas on now and they hate wet roads
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #2088
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36
It was wearing good. I took it off to save for the next Laural ride. I have Kendas on now and they hate wet roads
GRR the first people to REALLY REALLY design a TRUE 50/50 tire will be rich and minor dieties in my eyes.

I've learned on this website though (except for jomamma) it's often rude to bring up 3 things -God -Politics -Tires haha,

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #2089
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
I'd like to try a rear Heidenau k60 but damn they're pricey. I can buy two of the t63s for less than one of the k60s.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #2090
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
GRR the first people to REALLY REALLY design a TRUE 50/50 tire will be rich and minor dieties in my eyes.

I've learned on this website though (except for jomamma) it's often rude to bring up 3 things -God -Politics -Tires haha,
what do you want? a tire thats good on pavement, mud, sand, gravel, rain, and last 25000 miles .

Me--- pirelli mt 90 front perfect dunlop d 606 rear perfect fot the drz
mefos on the 9 and they are doing decent I have broke the rear loose while not trying to a few times in the curves but ya know cant have it all.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #2091
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
what do you want? a tire thats good on pavement, mud, sand, gravel, rain, and last 25000 miles .
Yes please, and don't forget no more then $60/tire

Shakes
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #2092
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker
I'd like to try a rear Heidenau k60 but damn they're pricey. I can buy two of the t63s for less than one of the k60s.
IMLHO

On my tiger I've put over 1000 in a cpl weeks on my rear tkc. It's wearing great, bit knobby, run it at full pressure on road, and have dropped by five off. Maybe no less then 1/2 tread left (probably more but haven't measured)and I've been braking and riding it hard. From my reading and general bs'ing with the P.O. and others, the tkc's wear slower as they wear down. Something to do with a transition in the firmness of the compound as you wear them in more? Front is doing fine looks like it is going to go 1front per 2 rear, but looking at mefo's next if i can find em for that front end. Or maybe maybe save the rest of tkc's for LF and throw some tourances on it

the 400- dunlop 606 all the way, doesn't shake me to death, and haven't had a single problem with traction until they are seriously seriously smoked

Shakes
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #2093
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
They do make tires that last that long. Just buy a Harley and haul it around in a trailer or truck, add up the miles and your there
Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #2094
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36
They do make tires that last that long. Just buy a Harley and haul it around in a trailer or truck, add up the miles and your there
oh oh oh oh oh oh I got the pirate in a truck question the other day. Beatup redneck at a 7-11 driving a sputtering f-ranger with a complete pirate outfit with boots, harley wife beater, and bandana but missing the hog
went something like this-
him-is that a dirt bike?

me- (looking lovingly at my 500lb shiny tiger)- well we call them adventure bikes, they tend to go whereever we can handle em haha.

him- (already becoming perplexed)oh I like real bikes, you know? hogs!!!

me- (trying to be polite )they can be pretty but not good for my desired riding, know some guys that have nice ones though, what kind do you have?

Him- none right now, can't afford it, but I want a softail..blah blah blah

me- yea tough economy, how did I, a collegestudent/restraunt worker afford my bike? I "wanted" a euro adv style bike and I got it.

him-huh?

me-have fun on you harley eventually (ride away)

Shakes
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #2095
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

I could tell the d606 was wearing every time I rode the xr.

The trials tire lasts longer and works pretty good, just thought I'd try something different. I personally think that around $150 a tire is a lot to pay for a tire unless it holds up. $60 is much better for my broke ass with too many bikes to maintain.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #2096
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
I could tell the d606 was wearing every time I rode the xr.

The trials tire lasts longer and works pretty good, just thought I'd try something different. I personally think that around $150 a tire is a lot to pay for a tire unless it holds up. $60 is much better for my broke ass with too many bikes to maintain.
the tkc's aren't bad on some online sites if you want something to run in the dirt, but if it's no moe then graded gravel, think they may be to much, but i admit i let the fact that i like the look influence too, hence why im thinking of tourances, just not seeing enough dirt to justify the tkc's right now,

Shakes

WVdyhrd screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 12:21 PM
Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #2097
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

I thought about putting distanzias on my uly, but they were $120 more a set than the conti sport tourers I put on there.

The xr doesn't have to be too street oriented, as I don't commute with it often, but I don't want them to be scary either. Oh well, guess I'll just try different ones depending on how much money I have at the time. They don't last long enough to matter.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #2098
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
I thought about putting distanzias on my uly, but they were $120 more a set than the conti sport tourers I put on there.

The xr doesn't have to be too street oriented, as I don't commute with it often, but I don't want them to be scary either. Oh well, guess I'll just try different ones depending on how much money I have at the time. They don't last long enough to matter.
im running the 400 mostly dirt now when i actually have had time to get it out and moving, so 606's are great. Connect in the dirt instantly. Ive gotten dicey in corners, mud etc, and the proper amoutn of tourque has made them grab right up, but they do wear fast on the pavement cause they are such a soft tire, burned through mine in less then 1000 on the rear last time. But they aren't to pricey and are easy to replace/obtain

Shakes
Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #2099
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
im running the 400 mostly dirt now when i actually have had time to get it out and moving, so 606's are great. Connect in the dirt instantly. Ive gotten dicey in corners, mud etc, and the proper amoutn of tourque has made them grab right up, but they do wear fast on the pavement cause they are such a soft tire, burned through mine in less then 1000 on the rear last time. But they aren't to pricey and are easy to replace/obtain
Hmm 606s on the DRZ with 87.95333333% of commuting duty will get me around 5000 miles its done and will stand up by itself but it will do it. I run it at 30psi maybe thats the diff.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #2100
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Cape Breton and Meat Cove

Well I'm back. I used Dox ride report and went to Meat Cove to eat chowder. What a place that is.... 8 of us went, 6 from WV and 2 from Belpre. I had a great time on the Cabot trail and at MC but did not get to see any of the east coast of NS or Halifax. Sufice it to say if you take a trip like this, be sure your companions have the same agenda. Best to travel alone or with one other person. We were 2 weeks in travel and spent 2 days at PEI. 4,200 miles. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Bob

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote