ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #8671
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
i believe now its a bit of both

not bad at on any case, real mexican is always better

i love a tagged bike
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #8672
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
i believe now its a bit of both

not bad at on any case, real mexican is always better

i love a tagged bike
LMAO I meant euphemism for placing a part of the male genitalia that resembles a "red burrito" into your oral cavity, then again maybe you got that and it's still a bit of both
Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #8673
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Anyone running GPS units on their bikes?

I've got a new to me Garmin 60Cx that came with no maps installed. Anyone know what maps I could DL that have detailed coverage of WV, hopefully including forest roads?
I downloaded a really nice 3 meter topo map of WV, part of Ohio, par of PA, etc. from GPSfiledepot.com It has just about every rad, logging road, goat path listed Lots of folks like Garmin's CityNav, but for the type of riding I do, this just simply works better and is more accurate. I don't usually need to know the location of the nearest hotel or any other nonesnse.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #8674
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd View Post
Bike problems.

Stranded in Elkins.

Friend coming to pick me up.

Two questions.

Where can I store bike for a day or two till I can return for it?

Where can I get beer while awaiting rescue

Thank you for any feedback!
Sorry I can offer no help in Elkins.

Had you made it to Buckhannon I could have helped with the in-laws or my family.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #8675
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVa Dualsport View Post
I downloaded a really nice 3 meter topo map of WV, part of Ohio, par of PA, etc. from GPSfiledepot.com It has just about every rad, logging road, goat path listed Lots of folks like Garmin's CityNav, but for the type of riding I do, this just simply works better and is more accurate. I don't usually need to know the location of the nearest hotel or any other nonesnse.
I agree 100% topo is the only way to go for trail riding and back roads. I always carry my gazetteer as well. GPS on street bike has city nav and topo loaded so I can switch back and forth. My new Montana 650 will have CN on internal mem and topo on sd so I can use it on all the bikes and hiking.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #8676
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Hit the Layin tracks forum there are plenty of links to free topo maps of wv. If you can't find them, I will post links tomorrow. Lots of free maps on the web and the 60 you picked up is a great unit.

I have several saved on my work pc I can email you as well. Download basecamp from Garmin. Pick up a couple of micro sd cards as well.

Get a good mount and put a lanyard on the GPS, you don't want to lose it on the trail. I found that out the hard way.
I have Topo 24K and it messed up my Basecamp. I want to load it on a sd card
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #8677
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
in other news gress and i had fun day of dual sporting in wv

with a stop at the red burrito for lunch
Even with a GPS we went around the mountain twice. I have saved tracks in my ETrex of the area. Just need someone more computer savvy than me to download them.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #8678
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I like the old Roads and Rec maps. They are more detailed with regards to county roads and creeks/rivers and not as cluttered as topos. I have unlocked copies if anyone is interested
Gabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #8679
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
I like the old Roads and Rec maps. They are more detailed with regards to county roads and creeks/rivers and not as cluttered as topos. I have unlocked copies if anyone is interested
I may have to hit you up sometime on that one. When we doing a Pburg area ride? I'm out of school after May 10th.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #8680
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
sorry to hear about your bike issue!
Thanks for your sympathy.

Thank you to BuffWV, and JT for reaching out. It was much appreciated. I know we've all struggled a few times to help other riders out in the state (even them people's from other states passin through) when I learn they're in trouble. But that's what a riding "community" and friends are for. Karma always comes around. Thank you all for your offers of help.

Nursed it into Elkins (including a 3.5mi stretch without motor, only gravity). Tried some repairs, determined best to get it in a clean place. Not to big of a deal just stressful and costly. All car rental places were closed and it'd be round trip of 6+ hours for one of my friends to come get me. The God's shined on me though, the guy at Napa knew a manager at Hertz personally. One phone call and I was on my way to pick up a Chrysler for the rest of the journey. Took helpful dude for a beer at CJ Maggies in Elkins (great wings at that place). Squirreled bike away in secret place, rented car, drove home. Returning with Buff to load it up today and will bring it back. Been kept up on the motor maintenance front, but my confidence in my beloved Triumph brand is dwindling. Should be an easy fix though just gotta get to ordering some gaskets. Here's hoping.

For those of you that didn't make LF (aside form this issue) it was beautiful; wish ya'll were there. Definitely chilly, but Hundreds of miles (always at the "speed limit" of course haha) in some of the most beautiful forests our great Country has to offer. Need more West by God Virginian's out there. Event has changed a lot over the last couple years to the point I almost backed out. But as a jedi told me "ride your own ride" and don't worry about the others.

Check out some cool WV scenery http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839434 I'll have video and photos hopefully soon for the WV thread.

Hope everyone is enjoying the good weather. Back to work. Peace!

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes

WVdyhrd screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:20 AM
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #8681
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd View Post

Nursed it into Elkins
I'm in Elkins. If you guys need a hand loading things up this afternoon let me know.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #8682
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
I may have to hit you up sometime on that one. When we doing a Pburg area ride? I'm out of school after May 10th.
Soon. I busted my ribs up at a HS last weekend (I was taken out on the last lap WTF??). Anyway, not much off roading for a few weeks. Herewego and I are planning a road trip in May. Northeast? Prolly. I'm still up for local DS stuff. You still in Tyler?
Gabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #8683
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
I put a couple of bikes in the flea market if anyone is shopping. YZ250 and WR250R. I might throw the gasser up there too. I would really like to sell 2 of the 3, doesnt matter which two. I havent made an ad for the gasgas yet.

Sorry to hear about your bike troubles Mike, shoot me a text next time, i wasnt doing much I would have gladly came and picked you up. Shit the trailer was even hooked up. Might be time to switch to a different brand, those poor Euro bikes havent been to kind to you in the long run.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #8684
MikeBike4
Excuse me..

Oddometer: 1,320
Finally got back to WV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSgDW1xLaQs
Forester S
MikeBike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #8685
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

I am out this weekend. I would like to do that 100 mile loop we did last April next weekend. I will talk toBob about it.