ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #9106
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
If you can't find rebuild kits there give me a shout, I have a pretty good source for those.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #9107
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
I know this is the WV thread, but I thought you fellas could shed some light on a particular area.

I need to know what Ashland Kentucky is like? I am considering moving there because it is Central to my entire family (5 hr radius) and being from Morgantown WV area it should be familiar to me. How is living there, any good riding?

General thoughts appreciated.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #9108
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I've been thru there, hope you have a job waiting on you there because I think work is hard to come by.

I'm sure the riding is good, a lot like WV in that aspect.

I try to stay several hours away from my family too
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #9109
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I've been thru there, hope you have a job waiting on you there because I think work is hard to come by.

I'm sure the riding is good, a lot like WV in that aspect.

I try to stay several hours away from my family too
Well, I guess I told on myself Family is.....well..... family

I dont have anything lined up job wise. Actually I will be obtaining my CDL license when I am there. I want to live fairly modest, or at least that is the plan. I am tired of spending 1000-1400 a mth for rent/utilities at the beach and riding is non existent. So I need to slow things down a bit.

I have a friend in Nitro WV that will probably provide me enuff work to sustain utilities and a few small debts I need to clear up. Surely there has to be enuff work to cover utilities, food, and taxes?

I guess I better look and see if Wal Mart,Lowes, or Home Depot is there? I have a automotive/mechanic background too and have worked for Advance Auto in the past as well.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #9110
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
You get a CDL and you are most assured a job on a well site driving a water truck to support fracking. More work in the northern part of the state. If you wanna make the dough, the oil and gas industry is booming.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #9111
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiker View Post
You get a CDL and you are most assured a job on a well site driving a water truck to support fracking. More work in the northern part of the state. If you wanna make the dough, the oil and gas industry is booming.
Are you saying that I could make a decent wage in Ashland Ky working on one of these sites driving a water truck?

I have been researching Ashland KY all night and it looks to be a commonly flooded area, prone to tornados? This sux.

I just need a decent place to call home that doesnt cost me 140k for a home. Im too old to deal with the stress of a high mtg payment.

bobbed06 screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 10:01 PM
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #9112
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Are you saying that I could make a decent wage in Ashland Ky working on one of these sites driving a water truck?

I have been researching Ashland KY all night and it looks to be a commonly flooded area, prone to tornados? This sux.

I just need a decent place to call home that doesnt cost me 140k for a home. Im too old to deal with the stress of a high mtg payment.
Ashland is just down river from Huntington, WV, and close to Cattletsburg (sp). Oil refineries in Cattlestburg. If you want to drive a coal truck there is ton of work in that area. A couple of steel mills are still squeaking by. parts of Ashland are nice, parts are meth lab central. You can be out in the country in less than 10 minutes. Lots of small town mentality around there, well most of WV really. Ashland, has a mall, walmarts, parts stores, etc... its a decent size town.

Prone to flooding yes (its right on the ohio river, stay on a ridge and not on the river bank and you are fine), prone to Tornadoes not really, nothing like Oklahoma, maybe a tiny little twister once a year or less, just dont buy a single wide trailer and its fine

Job market in eastern KY and most of WV is depressing as hell. If its coal or coal related the EPA is putting a hurt on it. Unemployment is super high everywhere around here. Weather, well just buy really good rain gear and a set of gerbings liners

Cost of living is low, there is awesome riding of any type in all directions. Personally I wouldnt live in Ashland, but I like being in the country. Open your search area up a little and there are some realy nice areas and affordable housing. A good Driver can make a living anywhere.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #9113
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Ashland is just down river from Huntington, WV, and close to Cattletsburg (sp). Oil refineries in Cattlestburg. If you want to drive a coal truck there is ton of work in that area. A couple of steel mills are still squeaking by. parts of Ashland are nice, parts are meth lab central. You can be out in the country in less than 10 minutes. Lots of small town mentality around there, well most of WV really. Ashland, has a mall, walmarts, parts stores, etc... its a decent size town.

Prone to flooding yes (its right on the ohio river, stay on a ridge and not on the river bank and you are fine), prone to Tornadoes not really, nothing like Oklahoma, maybe a tiny little twister once a year or less, just dont buy a single wide trailer and its fine

Job market in eastern KY and most of WV is depressing as hell. If its coal or coal related the EPA is putting a hurt on it. Unemployment is super high everywhere around here. Weather, well just buy really good rain gear and a set of gerbings liners

Cost of living is low, there is awesome riding of any type in all directions. Personally I wouldnt live in Ashland, but I like being in the country. Open your search area up a little and there are some realy nice areas and affordable housing. A good Driver can make a living anywhere.
Thank You for the insight. My girlfriend will be going here with me if we decide to go and she is used to being in the city. I dont want her having to drive 15 miles to get to Wal Mart which is usually once a day

My cousins live in Boone County/Comfort WV and my girl does not really find that appealing. I dont mind it so much but the layout of the land is much more rugged than I would prefer, as it lowers the chance of finding a property that has a decent usable parcel for a garage, or additions.

I will look into surrounding areas and see if the home market is within my means. It is really hard to gauge an area because everyone has a different perspective based on what they grew up in.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #9114
KillerBee300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey guys, im looking for some stock springs for my 06 300. Anyone know of some laying around?

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
KillerBee300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #9115
KillerBee300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBee300 View Post
Hey guys, im looking for some stock springs for my 06 300. Anyone know of some laying around?

Thanks

doh left off the ktm part

KillerBee300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #9116
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
the stepson and i are going for a ds ride sunday am , if any one would like to ride along
Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #9117
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

the stepson and i rode about a 100 miles today
mostly back roads but i we did hits some dirt county roads

we ended up in clendenin about noon so we stopped for a bit then back to the back roads. i need some supermoto wheels for the drz400

then made our way around to pond gap before returning to the house
Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #9118
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Wifey and I went for a ride, back roads, maybe 40 miles today.
12 Mile Rd is still closed

Lots of trees down from last fall.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #9119
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

still down from stall fall ? YIKES !!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #9120
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, a few miles of the road is under fallen trees.
Many were cleared, but there is still a lot that needs done.

It's actually a county road, but since no one needs to use it on a regular basis it sometimes is in very bad shape for years at a time.