ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #9256
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Anybody here know of a road west of Alpena that runs north along Shavers Fork? Is it any good? Where does it go?
Randolph CR 6 runs from the Bowden area to Parsons along the Shaver's fork of the Cheat. Locally known as Lower Cheat or the Government Road. Its a bit west of Alpena though. There are some other less maintained roads in that area that can be fun. CR 7, CR 9.

Actually, you can leave Alpena on CR 12/1 by the church and head NW to the top of Shavers Mtn, turn right on to Stuart Mem Dr (FS 91) which runs up to Bickles Knob Fire tower, then goes down to Stuart Park and makes a right onto CR 6. Thats pretty much all dirt or gravel and a pretty nice ride.

Just heard about a road/trail that runs south along the ridge from the Rich Mtn battlefield on the West side of Elkins too. Haven't had a chance to check it out. Its supposed to come out on the Prison Mine Road which meets WV 46 on the way to Helvetia or drops off the east side in the Dailey area. Apparently well used by OHV's and has lots of loops. Once I get the KTM back together I'm going to have a look.

wvrocks screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 11:12 AM
wvrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #9257
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
WVRocks,

Thanks for the insider info, that's just what we need. I will be leading some Richmond folks that have not experienced the wilds of WV and want to show them the real deal.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #9258
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Actually, most of the new fuels require Viton orings. You can't go wrong with Viton in fuel service. Buna may work in a pinch, but it is not as good. Most petcocks have either an o-ring or a ported rubber gasket behind the knob with a spring washer providing tension.
Yeah, you're right. The buna does not like ethanol. Viton is much better with ethanol.
Buna works fine and is most readily available/less expensive for areas without ethanol. Heck, if money is no issue, could go with kalrez, its good in high temperatures too.

IngoldWV screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 10:36 AM
IngoldWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #9259
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
WVRocks,

Thanks for the insider info, that's just what we need. I will be leading some Richmond folks that have not experienced the wilds of WV and want to show them the real deal.
No problem,if you are up in the Canaan Valley/Davis area, Wilderness Loop Road off of WV 32 is a good time. It will be muddy and has lots of rocks some ledges and several creek crossings. Starts out easy then gets ugly for a road. Not a good road for inexperienced riders on big bikes.

Canyon Rim road is another in the area. Runs from 219 N of Parsons to the Douglas/Thomas area.

Dolly Sods road is beautiful too.

As an aside, I'd skip the section of CR 12/1 from Alpena up to the top of Shavers mountain. There is one family that lives in there that may or may not be friendly/armed at any given moment. Its a short hop on US 33 to the turn off for FS 91 and will save some potential trouble. Its not a very interesting section anyway.

wvrocks screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 11:15 AM
wvrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #9260
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoldWV View Post
Yeah, you're right. The buna does not like ethanol. Viton is much better with ethanol.
Buna works fine and is most readily available/less expensive for areas without ethanol. Heck, if money is no issue, could go with kalrez, its good in high temperatures too.
Dunk what u guys are arguing about... I generally just use rubber on my petcock

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #9261
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post

Just heard about a road/trail that runs south along the ridge from the Rich Mtn battlefield on the West side of Elkins too. Haven't had a chance to check it out. Its supposed to come out on the Prison Mine Road which meets WV 46 on the way to Helvetia or drops off the east side in the Dailey area. Apparently well used by OHV's and has lots of loops. Once I get the KTM back together I'm going to have a look.
I think I might know where that is, maybe.
I was in Elkins a couple Saturdays on the fast bike, went from there over to Davis and back home on Rt 72.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #9262
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I think I might know where that is, maybe.
I was in Elkins a couple Saturdays on the fast bike, went from there over to Davis and back home on Rt 72.
If you go up to Rich Mtn Battlefield from the Beverly side, there is a dirt road heading uphill to the south. Goes right past the monuments up there. It almost looks like it could be a private road but apparently is not.

I'm hoping to have the 640 back on the road this week. The carb was leaking so I took it off to rebuild it and had to wait on parts for a week. Also replaced the radiator hoses and installed a Vector speedometer after my Tripmaster died. Got ready to put it back together on Sunday and broke the little plastic fitting for the choke on the carb. Back to waiting for parts until Thursday.

72 is a lot of fun. Would be even better if not for the tendency of locals to take the inside of the turns. Not a lot of room for 2 vehicles in places.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #9263
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,472
That is the road I started to go up with my wife's Jeep.

She was not amused.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #9264
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
riding near oak island nc
my wife and i stopped for breakfast

then a ferry ride to fort fisher

followed by a stop at fort fisher

the mrs is starting to rely enjoy her ds scooter
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #9265
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,126
Quote:
WVRocks,

I hope u copied and pasted that in a word Doc Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #9266
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
I hope u copied and pasted that in a word Doc Drew
Saved to my phone and will be with me the whole time.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #9267
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post

I've rode that ferry many of times :) hope u guys have a fun adventure!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #9268
RidingBInWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
If it is o-rings in the petcock, take them out and to like an O'Reilly's or similar. They should be able to match you up with some o-rings. Maker sure they are buna-n or nitrile. I have bought nitrile sheet from grainger before to cut rubber gaskets. Grainger could probably get you correct o-rings as well. If there is a diaphragm in the petcock, try not to damage it or you will have to go through like bikebandit or cheapcycleparts. So I would try rebuilding petcock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Actually, most of the new fuels require Viton orings. You can't go wrong with Viton in fuel service. Buna may work in a pinch, but it is not as good. Most petcocks have either an o-ring or a ported rubber gasket behind the knob with a spring washer providing tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Any Napa has a good o ring selection.
Hell, I have two sets of o rings in my work truck.

But I have it in Connecticut, so that ain't much help.
Quote:
Of course, today when my fiance's brother comes by to check out my bike to see if he can figure out why she's leaking, she DOESN'T leak at all... HOWEVER, I will be keeping all of these suggestions in mind, because I know she's going to need some finer tuning when I can afford to really put more into her... Keeping my fingers crossed that a battery will help her starting issues...
RidingBInWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #9269
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post

where are you guys staying Ed? Wifey and I really like it down there.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #9270
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Clarksburg Area Dirt/Gravel/Grass/Mud/.....Sand?

Does anyone know of any rides that are within an hour of the Clarksburg area? I installed a GPS yesterday and I'd like to get familiar with it before I have to ship my bike out west next week. As far as I've been able to surmise, there isn't. Hopefully one of you can prove me wrong.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote