ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #9931
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 153
TKO registration is open. C'mon bholmes.

http://tennesseeknockoutenduro.com/a...-registration/
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #9932
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy crack corn View Post
1) Ain't it amazing just how much hoogie boogie you can find on a barely used motorcycle?
2) You'll probably get used to rusty bolts, spokes, foot pegs and the like. Not sure wtfing deal is with that. ? European metallurgy vs N American soil/air?
3) Mad respect for having the discipline to tear down your bikes before swinging a leg. I'm lucky to check the oil and chain tension.

Drink up and stay after it. We'll see ya out there soon enough.
(BTW, thanks for helping me keep AOMC in the black!)
1--hoogie boogie thats a good way to put it.

2--The moron that spec'ed out the fastener coating for KTM needs fired, strung up and tortured must have been the same brilliant engineer that chose the thread style on the shroud bolts.

3--I really cant help it, its a character flaw. I HAVE to tear things apart to see how they work, I am overly critical on most things, especially maintenance. I would rather go through it and get a feel for how it was treated by the PO before I get stranded in the woods and ruin everyones ride. My wife says its my OCD, i tell her I just dont trust Previous owners.

I tore down the YZ after two laps around the yard, and the guy I got it from was the team mechanic, it was his play bike on practice days. In all fairness I found very little hoogie boogie on it

The guy said he had Pro action change the valving around when he had the suspension serviced. its REALLY eating at me,I want to break down the forks and check the shim stacks. I probably wont, but it will keep me awake at night wondering.

I will be out there sooner than later, need to figure out what organ to sell to buy a rekluse for both bikes.

AOMC definitely has some job security.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #9933
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoldWV View Post
TKO registration is open. C'mon bholmes.

http://tennesseeknockoutenduro.com/a...-registration/
Looks fun, I'm way too slow for that shit.
And I would so hurt myself.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #9934
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
1--hoogie boogie thats a good way to put it.

2--The moron that spec'ed out the fastener coating for KTM needs fired, strung up and tortured must have been the same brilliant engineer that chose the thread style on the shroud bolts.

3--I really cant help it, its a character flaw. I HAVE to tear things apart to see how they work, I am overly critical on most things, especially maintenance. I would rather go through it and get a feel for how it was treated by the PO before I get stranded in the woods and ruin everyones ride. My wife says its my OCD, i tell her I just dont trust Previous owners.

I tore down the YZ after two laps around the yard, and the guy I got it from was the team mechanic, it was his play bike on practice days. In all fairness I found very little hoogie boogie on it

The guy said he had Pro action change the valving around when he had the suspension serviced. its REALLY eating at me,I want to break down the forks and check the shim stacks. I probably wont, but it will keep me awake at night wondering.

I will be out there sooner than later, need to figure out what organ to sell to buy a rekluse for both bikes.

AOMC definitely has some job security.
Not OCD, it is the engineer in you.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #9935
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
The worst thing about the metal coating is they have been using it for years.

I notice your building is getting rather Euro, you would think an engineer would know better......

JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #9936
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
The worst thing about the metal coating is they have been using it for years.

I notice your building is getting rather Euro, you would think an engineer would know better......

You know the one that will always get the most seat time is still a rice burner. It needs attention too, check valves, chain sprockets all that good stuff.

This 400 will hopefully show me that I should never buy the 990 that's I have always wanted
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #9937
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You know the one that will always get the most seat time is still a rice burner. It needs attention too, check valves, chain sprockets all that good stuff.

This 400 will hopefully show me that I should never buy the 990 that's I have always wanted
if they throw some rebates on the 990s soon I'll make you a smokin deal.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #9938
IngoldWV
Dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Looks fun, I'm way too slow for that shit.
And I would so hurt myself.
I'm pretty slow and have hurt myself both times I've done it. I'm getting better though. I didn't wind up sitting in the back of an ambulance the last time. of course I didn't make it to Sunday this last time...

Keep in mind an older lady that may have been a grandma competed and got at least one lap in with a bike stuck in a gear (I think 2nd).

IngoldWV screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 06:06 AM
IngoldWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #9939
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
if they throw some rebates on the 990s soon I'll make you a smokin deal.

WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #9940
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

I think buyers remorse is finally starting to set in.

The hoogie boogie is strong on this one... I just really hope whom ever worked on the wiring did NOT touch the engine in any manner. Seriously who uses epoxy/jb weld on harness plugs (i understand a little dab of silicon to seal an exposed plug). Instead of popping the spade out of the plug and soldering the wires, then sliding the spade back in, they jammed the wires in the hole and glued it

Thankfully the crap didnt bond too the plugs so I can salvage them but it ate the insulation off of the wires, so they all need stripped and redone. I spent way too much time cleaning plugs and prepping wires to fix it properly. Did I mention how much I hate wiring. It SERIOUSLY screws with my OCD. I have to have it tucked, wire tied, hidden, shortened, plugs lubed/labeled, soldered splices, heat shrink wrapped, etc. I will spend WAY too many hours on this wiring, before I even add turn signals. Im fighting pulling it ALL out and starting over so I know exactly what is on it.

I am still too nervous to pull off the clutch cover.

The joys of used bikes. Its always a craps shoot when buying used, but it still leaves me scratching my head.

sorry had to vent a little. I love working on bikes, its my therapy when not riding. I always look forward to wrench time but it just gets frustrating when the PO was obviously a complete genius.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #9941
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
rocky mountain atv has a nice harness for little money
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #9942
IngoldWV
Dingo

Quote:
I think buyers remorse is finally starting to set in.

The hoogie boogie is strong on this one... I just really hope whom ever worked on the wiring did NOT touch the engine in any manner. Seriously who uses epoxy/jb weld on harness plugs (i understand a little dab of silicon to seal an exposed plug). Instead of popping the spade out of the plug and soldering the wires, then sliding the spade back in, they jammed the wires in the hole and glued it

Thankfully the crap didnt bond too the plugs so I can salvage them but it ate the insulation off of the wires, so they all need stripped and redone. I spent way too much time cleaning plugs and prepping wires to fix it properly. Did I mention how much I hate wiring. It SERIOUSLY screws with my OCD. I have to have it tucked, wire tied, hidden, shortened, plugs lubed/labeled, soldered splices, heat shrink wrapped, etc. I will spend WAY too many hours on this wiring, before I even add turn signals. Im fighting pulling it ALL out and starting over so I know exactly what is on it.

I am still too nervous to pull off the clutch cover.

The joys of used bikes. Its always a craps shoot when buying used, but it still leaves me scratching my head.

sorry had to vent a little. I love working on bikes, its my therapy when not riding. I always look forward to wrench time but it just gets frustrating when the PO was obviously a complete genius.
You just made me remember that I bought a bike that had a lamp cord used on the kill switch. And I never did figure out what the brake lines were. I'm not envious of you at all at the moment.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #9943
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You just made me remember that I bought a bike that had a lamp cord used on the kill switch. And I never did figure out what the brake lines were. I'm not envious of you at all at the moment.
Lamp cord kill switch wiring? Brilliant!

I guess I've been luck, I've always gotten bikes that really hadn't had anything done to them so I got to do all the questionable stuff myself, at least that way when something happens I know where to look.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #9944
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lamp cord is a new one Thats hi-tech man.

here is a text book solder joint I found

Picture 008 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

And one of the FUBAR plugs

Picture 009 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

Also someone was VERY fond of a pressure washer for too long on this bike. I will get it all sorted out, it will just take more time and $ than I anticipated.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #9945
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
niiiiiiice