ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #9946
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Awww, if they would've wrapped that up with some nice electrical tape it woulda been good.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #9947
TORKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Found a cool rock today.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #9948
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORKS View Post
Found a cool rock today.

That's pretty neat! I got some time off coming up, we will have to go for a ride sometime soon. You and Britt need to come up to my neck of the woods. I wish i had my 620 together to play though, with the leaves down the GS can be a handful.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #9949
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoldWV View Post
TKO registration is open. C'mon bholmes.

http://tennesseeknockoutenduro.com/a...-registration/
Dag nab buddy! You just wait all year for this don't ya?! Remind me after Christmas and maybe I'll have the money. I can't guarantee it will fit my schedule as I hope to be under going an occupational transformation this spring. But I think I may be in this time if I get my XC's forks fixed... i'm suspecting a bent stanchion.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #9950
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You just made me remember that I bought a bike that had a lamp cord used on the kill switch. And I never did figure out what the brake lines were. I'm not envious of you at all at the moment.
I told you not to tell people about my skills!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #9951
TORKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
I told you not to tell people about my skills!
Don't forget about the high tech fluids you produce!!

I need some transmission fluid for my car. What do you have for that?;)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #9952
IngoldWV
Dingo

Oddometer: 152
I am thinking about selling my 2009 ktm 200 XCW. I want to build a yz250 for next season. Thinking 2001-2004 vintage. I like steel frames.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #9953
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
I am thinking about selling my 2009 ktm 200 XCW. I want to build a yz250 for next season. Thinking 2001-2004 vintage. I like steel frames.

02-04 with the 06-up SSS forks, would be a sweet set up. Still regret selling my 08, best bike i ever owned. They are pretty vibey, even the steel frame bikes. Great motor that can be tuned to any hit you want, will run upside down, or sit and idle out a tank of gas. NEVER over heat, and sip gas. Plenty of bottom end to lug around.

Check out the yamaha two stroke section on Thumper talk. Great sticky on setting timing and such, most are over advanced from factory and tend to ping on pump gas. I retarded mine 2*.

They REALLY need the squish band remachined, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I had three heads and the squish measurement was ALL over the place. RBMods can hook you up.

Swapping to a CR caliper and master cyl on the front with a braided line is a good mod too, front brake is kind of vague compared to the Brembos. Plan on a new clutch basket if you find one that still has a cast basket. Fingers notch really fast.

Steering head seal set up sucks balls so those bearings dont last very long.

SUPER SUPER easy to work on. They make a really good woods bike if you take the time to set it up.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #9954
IngoldWV
Dingo

For the forks, I have a set from my 2001 wr250f race bike. Had them reworked by Blackwell in 2007. And I have a protaper upper clamp that I am fond of. But yeah, I agree the 06-up forks on the steel frame would be really good. Thanks for the info. Good stuff. Certainly didn't know that about the squish.

IngoldWV screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 08:38 AM
IngoldWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #9955
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For the forks, I have a set from my 2001 wr250f race bike. Had them reworked by Blackwell in 2007. And I have a protaper upper clamp that I am fond of. But yeah, I agree the 06-up forks on the steel frame would be really good. Thanks for the info. Good stuff. Certainly didn't know that about the squish.

Squish dimension is too large and like I said, it varies a lot, so its dang near impossible to stop the spooge. Still runs good but everything can be better right

The Gnarly pipe was awesome in the tight stuff, but it killed the top end. I really prefered the stock pipe(06-up stocker, it will fit steel frame too) and 14/52 gearing, a 13t cs tended to eat the slider quickly, especially in sandy mud like up the creek, but I did run 13/50. Close ratio trans isnt great in open stuff. I bet it topped out under 60mph with the 13/50 and gnarly.

Jetting wasnt bad, I feel like it needed a one step leaner needle Overall. I swapped pilot and main, between winter and summer all I did was move the clip one groove. Normal mixture screw tweak depending on weather, never needed more than a 1/4 turn typically.

I LOVED the rear shock after I got it revalved. I was getting really bad shock fade an hour into a HS so I did the pro action piston upgrade. That sucker was butter after that. You are light enough the stock Ti spring will work. Revalved stocker was MUCH better than the stupid Ohlins on the GG.

As wet as it stays around here, you really need to pull the linkage and swing arm to regrease once a year. Speaking of wet, the airbox is actually sealed up pretty darn good unlike the screen door method KTM uses.

If you have a Dial indicator I have a polycarbonate bushing I made for the head to set the timing. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

UFO makes a new plastic kit that looks more modern. Not sure I like it, but it keeps the bikes from looking 15 years old.

Find a WR hub and lace up an 18" rear. The 19's suck in the rocks.

Rocky mountain sells OEM stuff now, they have a warehouse in KY. I ordered parts Monday at 3:30 and they were on my desk before noon on tuesday. Free ground too. Beats the hell out of going to Dohms for anything.

loved my YZ. I will buy another one if yamaha ever updates it. Great excuse to get rid of the overweight GG.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #9956
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORKS View Post
Don't forget about the high tech fluids you produce!!

I need some transmission fluid for my car. What do you have for that?;)

Hahahaha you dont even want to know.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #9957
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Squish dimension is too large and like I said, it varies a lot, so its dang near impossible to stop the spooge. Still runs good but everything can be better right

The Gnarly pipe was awesome in the tight stuff, but it killed the top end. I really prefered the stock pipe(06-up stocker, it will fit steel frame too) and 14/52 gearing, a 13t cs tended to eat the slider quickly, especially in sandy mud like up the creek, but I did run 13/50. Close ratio trans isnt great in open stuff. I bet it topped out under 60mph with the 13/50 and gnarly.

Jetting wasnt bad, I feel like it needed a one step leaner needle Overall. I swapped pilot and main, between winter and summer all I did was move the clip one groove. Normal mixture screw tweak depending on weather, never needed more than a 1/4 turn typically.

I LOVED the rear shock after I got it revalved. I was getting really bad shock fade an hour into a HS so I did the pro action piston upgrade. That sucker was butter after that. You are light enough the stock Ti spring will work. Revalved stocker was MUCH better than the stupid Ohlins on the GG.

As wet as it stays around here, you really need to pull the linkage and swing arm to regrease once a year. Speaking of wet, the airbox is actually sealed up pretty darn good unlike the screen door method KTM uses.

If you have a Dial indicator I have a polycarbonate bushing I made for the head to set the timing. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

UFO makes a new plastic kit that looks more modern. Not sure I like it, but it keeps the bikes from looking 15 years old.

Find a WR hub and lace up an 18" rear. The 19's suck in the rocks.

Rocky mountain sells OEM stuff now, they have a warehouse in KY. I ordered parts Monday at 3:30 and they were on my desk before noon on tuesday. Free ground too. Beats the hell out of going to Dohms for anything.

loved my YZ. I will buy another one if yamaha ever updates it. Great excuse to get rid of the overweight GG.
Lol sick of the gg already?! I hear there might be a super light ktm 200xc on the market! Haha

Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #9958
IngoldWV
Dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
Lol sick of the gg already?! I hear there might be a super light ktm 200xc on the market! Haha

Maybe. I'm trying to get my brother to buy it. Street title too. I did bust the outer screen of the computer in a recent crash.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #9959
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe. I'm trying to get my brother to buy it. Street title too. I did bust the outer screen of the computer in a recent crash.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #9960
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

KtM now has insurance and a shiny new WV plate.