ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #10576
PeaceOfMind
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
If you are trying to stay on secondary roads, one option is to go out thru Piney View and take Rt41 across New River.
About 4 or 5 miles past the Prince train depot, take a right on Bacus Mountain Rd. That will take you to Meadow Bridge.
At Meadow Bridge, take a left on Rt20 for about 5 miles to Springdale. Take a right there on CR29 which will take you to Rt60 at Sam Black Church.
Go east on Rt60 about 5 miles or so to the Alta exit at I-64.
From there, take CR60-10 north and follow the signs to Williamsburg. Then turn right on CR17 which will take you to Rt219 at Frankford.
From there, north will take you to Marlinton. South will take you to Lewisburg.

I think the official WV Road map will show most of those roads.
Good deal, thanks. Haven't really been up in that part of the state. I always tended to go toward Wyoming, Boone, Kanawaha counties.
PeaceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #10577
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I like to turn north off of 60 in Rupert towards Clearco. That road will take you all the way to Richwood
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #10578
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
I like to turn north off of 60 in Rupert towards Clearco. That road will take you all the way to Richwood

I considered suggesting that way, but once you get near the windmills, it's easy to get lost on that mountain.
Also, once you get to Richwood, you pretty much have to follow Rt39 all the way to Mill Point, unless you know the dirt roads east of Richwood and over to Rt219.
Lots of roads in there, but you really need a guide the first few times.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #10579
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I'd run up to Cowen and take the Williams River rd to Edray. Jump across 219 and take the Back Mt rd to Cass. All rural rds
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #10580
PeaceOfMind
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 49
My plan was to take wvdirtbiker's directions above but I ended up at Babcock State Park, fished for about 30 minutes, and then went to Pies and Pints to eat and back home to take a nap. For a failure it was a real success.
PeaceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #10581
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Decided to go for a little ride this evening, hadn't ridden since last weekend and the 690 was calling me plus I wanted to try out my new boots.

I found an awesome road not 5 miles from my house, there were dirt roads and side by side paths going everywhere. I wanted to explore more of them but I was by myself and it was muddy and slick (I may have tried them if my spot would get here) so I just stayed on the main path.

Crappy cell pics

Said new boots

Safely back in it's little home

I'm really liking this bike, for where I ride and how I ride it's just about perfect for me anyways. I just noticed on the second pic I have a bolt missing out of my heat shield on the exhaust.

Pray for me, a buddy of mine wants to go riding tomorrow. He has a rzr, hope he doesn't run over me
Wvtrailsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #10582
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
It's a KTM, buy your Loctite in bulk.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #10583
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I know, right
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #10584
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Gospel

Glad I can get mine from work.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #10585
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

The family and I are going to Hillsboro, WV in Pocahontas County for a 4 day weekend and of course I'm bringing my bike What are some of the must see roads to ride while I'm there? The dirtier the better. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #10586
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvtrailsmith View Post
The family and I are going to Hillsboro, WV in Pocahontas County for a 4 day weekend and of course I'm bringing my bike What are some of the must see roads to ride while I'm there? The dirtier the better. Thanks!

I can suggest a couple of rides.
From Hillsboro, go thru Watoga State Park and turn left immediately after the lake. Go across the mountain to the stop sign on CR21. Take a right there and go about 2 miles, past the Beaver Creek campground on the left and another park road on the right.
Take the first right, about 1/2 mile (still CR21) after the park road.
That is a good gravel road for about a mile then begins to disintegrate quickly.
It's probably only 4 or 5 miles of bad road and it's really nasty. I've heard it's open again after that bad storm a couple of years ago.
The road turns good again and eventually comes out near Blue Bend.
I went thru there on the DR about 3 years ago by myself and won't do it again.
If I'm up there that weekend, I'll do it with you. Let me know which weekend.

Another more sedate ride would be to go thru Watoga as described earlier but turn left on CR21 and go about 8 miles to Huntersville. At the stop sign at Rt39, take a right and stay on that route to the VA state line, about 8 or 9 miles.
About a 100 yards before the state line, you will see FR55 on the left.
That is 20 miles of gravel road that roughly follows the VA/WV state line all the way.
It comes out on Rt84 again at the VA/WV state line and about a mile from my place.
Turn left on Rt84 and go 4 1/2 miles to Frost. Take a left on Rt92 for 10 miles and you will intersect Rt39 again. West(right) on Rt39 will get you back to Huntersville.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #10587
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Wvdirtbiker thanks for the info. I will definitely check those roads out. We're going down this Thursday the 24th and leaving Sunday. That would be great if you wanted to go for a little ride, but my wife and son will be with me and I would have to work it around swimming, fishing, canoeing and bicycle riding.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #10588
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvtrailsmith View Post
Wvdirtbiker thanks for the info. I will definitely check those roads out. We're going down this Thursday the 24th and leaving Sunday. That would be great if you wanted to go for a little ride, but my wife and son will be with me and I would have to work it around swimming, fishing, canoeing and bicycle riding.

Sorry, I won't be able to make it this week. We just picked up the grandkids today, probably for all week.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #10589
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, I won't be able to make it this week. We just picked up the grandkids today, probably for all week.
Another time maybe, we love it over there. We go at least once a summer. Thanks for the heads up on the roads.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #10590
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
I can suggest a couple of rides.
From Hillsboro, go thru Watoga State Park and turn left immediately after the lake. Go across the mountain to the stop sign on CR21. Take a right there and go about 2 miles, past the Beaver Creek campground on the left and another park road on the right.
Take the first right, about 1/2 mile (still CR21) after the park road.
That is a good gravel road for about a mile then begins to disintegrate quickly.
It's probably only 4 or 5 miles of bad road and it's really nasty. I've heard it's open again after that bad storm a couple of years ago.
The road turns good again and eventually comes out near Blue Bend.
I went thru there on the DR about 3 years ago by myself and won't do it again.
If I'm up there that weekend, I'll do it with you. Let me know which weekend.

Another more sedate ride would be to go thru Watoga as described earlier but turn left on CR21 and go about 8 miles to Huntersville. At the stop sign at Rt39, take a right and stay on that route to the VA state line, about 8 or 9 miles.
About a 100 yards before the state line, you will see FR55 on the left.
That is 20 miles of gravel road that roughly follows the VA/WV state line all the way.
It comes out on Rt84 again at the VA/WV state line and about a mile from my place.
Turn left on Rt84 and go 4 1/2 miles to Frost. Take a left on Rt92 for 10 miles and you will intersect Rt39 again. West(right) on Rt39 will get you back to Huntersville.
The last time I rode fr55 i was almost ran off the road by a bear hunter in a truck with his dogs on top!
Be Careful!
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote