User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 450
Question Russell Day-Long KLR seat?

Anybody used one of these, for either a KLR or another bike? I've got a Corbin flat and my sensitive rear just doesn't like it for longer road rides. I'd keep it for any kind of trail riding, and get an old stock seat to send off to Russell to be remade. Just curious as to what anyone has to say about the comfort of these seats
Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
I have Russel seats on two bikes. GL 1000 and XR650L. They are the best seats I have ridden on.

Walter
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
The Russel is the best seat for comfort and I have one on my GS, but did not get one for the KLR because of the support wings which will get in the way of sliding back and forth on the bench seat when doing some gnarly off roading.. If you will stay mostly on roads and don't need to shift your weight, then it should work for you. I've seen one person on here post pics of his Russel seat on the KLR. They may even have it on their site.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
I have a Russell Day Long on my KLR, installed by the PO and new when I bought the bike. It's extremely comfortable and the side bolsters/wings tend to keep your butt centered in the seat's sweet spot, very nice. Gadget Boy's comment above about the wings possibly getting in the way during tech riding is accurate. This has not been a problem for me, but I don't ride offroad or agressively enough on the KLR for this to be a factor.

The Russell Day Long is pricey, but depending on your riding habits likely well worth the price. Its greatest benefit may be in the support and comfort it provides for (extra) large guys/butts, or folks who tend to take longish rides with extended periods in the saddle. If you have either or both of these "attributes", the Russell is for you.

If you've got $300+ bucks to burn ($350?), I'd say go for it. And, unless you're really tearing up the trails or motocrossing (on a KLR??? ), it's may be the most comfy saddle available, IMHO.

Sorry, can't post a pic from this computer, will try later this evening.

vagt6 screwed with this post 03-06-2008 at 05:43 AM
vagt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I have one on my KLR after having a painful experience w the flat Corbin. Without a doubt it's the best farkle money I ever spent. Next bike I buy I'm just gonna factor another $350 into the price and send the stock seat out to Russell immediately. It's THAT good.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
jv3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder
Anybody used one of these, for either a KLR or another bike? I've got a Corbin flat and my sensitive rear just doesn't like it for longer road rides. I'd keep it for any kind of trail riding, and get an old stock seat to send off to Russell to be remade. Just curious as to what anyone has to say about the comfort of these seats
Thanks

I have had the Corbin on a F650GS and a R1200GS. The R1200GS Corbin saddle I was never happy with it.
I now rode to Shasta Lake and had Russell make a seat, "wow" night and day for comfort...no more butt and leg pains....it's worth all the money.

jv3
jv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

Talking great feedback

Thanks for all the replies guys-I'll be buying a used stocker off of this board, sending it to Russell for some flying buttress comfort, and keeping the Corbin for any offroad stuff I do. Happy riding
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,898
I've got the Russell Day long that I originally bought when I owned my wee-strom, but now use it on my Vstrom. I picked mine up 2nd hand, but here are some comparison pictures to the stock wee-strom seat.

My seat really jacks me up, which is actually what I wanted as I'm 6'4" and I was cramped on the very low stock seat. I fit real nice in the moon shaped area and it holds me snug. I can slide forward if I want to get more of my foot on the ground where the seat is narrow. I put 40k miles on this seat on my wee-strom and hopefully many more on my Vstrom.

I have a Corbin on my SV and after riding on the Russell so much, I hate the Corbin now. The Corbin is better then stock SV, but not much. I'll definitely look at Russell again for future bikes.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I have a Russell on my F650 and will always have one on any bike I ever own now. For technical riding I find the wings are fine as they rest right behind my knees when standing and give added support. However on steep downhills, where you have shift your body rearward, they are in the way. My longest stint in the saddle was 13 hrs. Piece of cake. Truly a "day long".
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
So what does a russel seat for a XR650L look like? They didn't have a picture on their website last time I checked.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
tweeder OP
Farkle Queen

to those with one on their KLR...

How did it affect seat height/ride height? I'm fine with the KLR seat height with the Corbin flat right now, but I think if the Russell seat effectively adds another 3/4 to 1 inch I'd definitely be in trouble. Any advice?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
mdwilliDR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
You should also consider a Renazco seat. I've read rave reviews on it as well.
mdwilliDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
So what does a russel seat for a XR650L look like? They didn't have a picture on their website last time I checked.
Mine looks like this.

Walter
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Another picture.

Walter
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
I'd try a sheep pad before you spend big bucks on a seat. I rode 400 miles last Sunday on sheepskin, and it wasn't that bad.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote