ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #1
Ravenslair OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Forest roads from Highway 4 to Highway 88?

I am planning a ride with a buddy from Highway 108 to Highway 88 via forest roads. We took the road from Strawberry to Dorrington earlier this year so we are good going from 108 to 4. What I am trying to do is put a route together that goes from Highway 4 somewhere between Dorrington and Bear Valley up to Highway 88. Looking at Google maps, there appear to be a few ways to get there. If I look at the Forest Service OHV maps though, some roads appear to end at private property (even though Google maps shows them as complete). We had a few instances going from 108 to 4 where we hit fences when our GPS said there should be a road. I am trying to avoid that if possible. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #2
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I have gone from 88 to 4 and vice versa many times, but not for years, though I doubt that any routes are closed. From Hwy 4, take 7N09, cross Winton Rd and head down to cross the Mokulumne River at White Azalea Campground. Then back up to rejoin Hwy 88 at the Bear River Reservoir turnoff. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but the route was pretty straightforward and I navigated it easily "in the old days" pre-GPS. Not the smoothest graded forest road, rough enough to be fun, but well within the capabilities of my stock 4WD Ranger or XL600. There are (or were) many side trails as well. The Stanislaus NF map should show you everything you need to know.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote