ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #15451
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead
I ended up at the same 7-11 on Osborn and Glenoaks using google directions. If I didn't see 3 KTM's haul by, I would have missed it too.

PS: I am home. I got side swiped by an SUV who moved over on me as I was passing by. He hit me square in the hand guard which sent my bike 1/2 way into the #1 lane. No damage done other than to my shorts. Other than that, great ride
Glad you survived that Duy

the way I'm reading it is:
they clipped your handle bars and forced you to change lanes but you didn't go down
if so thats an awesome job you did of handling that bike
& I'm glad you didn't crash
Did they even realize how stupid they were, or did they just kept going on down the road oblivious to their ignorance
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #15452
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Back at the ranch.
185 miles and never touched a freeway. Nice to meet a few people for the first time this trip.

Who is the Vermon guy and who does he belong to? He really scares me.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #15453
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
they clipped your handle bars and forced you to change lanes but you didn't go down
yup. Instant "counter steer". It was so strong and violent, my left leg came off the peg
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #15454
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Back at the ranch.
185 miles and never touched a freeway. Nice to meet so many people for the first time this trip.

Who is the Vermon guy and who does he belong to? He really scares me.
He's quite tame unless U put a shirt on him.
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #15455
schmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
JD jet kit ...bike is loosening up(breakin in)did you try tuning the idle down??stock bikes are lean ass ...well hell
I actually had to turn the idle up to keep the bike running. The mechanic rode it and experienced the issue and thinks it might be something plugging the needle. The bike doesn't have the JD kit, but a different needle was installed and something was moved out a click or two or something . . . I've got a lot to learn . . . from what the shop told me, I should be good and not have the lean issues that it comes from the factory with after what they did to it, but time will tell and a JD kit will go in if I have issues. My buddy found a thread where another guy was having the exact same issue and a tiny piece of grit was in the needle and after cleaning it out the problem was solved which was the same thing the mechanic seemed to think it was so hopefully it'll be an easy fix. At first the bike wouldn't stay running . . . adjusted the idle up and it ran but then when hot it would either take a long time to drop down to idle of if you were idling and gave it a little gas it would stick at that point and idle high . . . I was able to control it for the most part with the clutch except for down hill where I didn't really have much in the way of engine braking. Sounds like the plan is to clean the carb, which on a week old bike should hopefully fall within the warranty . . . it started acting up before I even put gas in it!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #15456
johngil
Reseda, CA

foul plug, fmf punk and johngil had quite the big bike slide/ride down the chute to Bouquet on the big bikes.
I changed my mind about half way down, but it was too late.

I did get quite a few photos today. I'll post them asap.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #15457
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
Quote:
yup. Instant "counter steer". It was so strong and violent, my left leg came off the peg
Glad you are ok. Good thing it happened on the way home. Had it happened this morning, you would have stunk so bad, they would have put you at the end, behind me.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #15458
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmo
I actually had to turn the idle up to keep the bike running. The mechanic rode it and experienced the issue and thinks it might be something plugging the needle. The bike doesn't have the JD kit, but a different needle was installed and something was moved out a click or two or something . . . I've got a lot to learn . . . from what the shop told me, I should be good and not have the lean issues that it comes from the factory with after what they did to it, but time will tell and a JD kit will go in if I have issues. My buddy found a thread where another guy was having the exact same issue and a tiny piece of grit was in the needle and after cleaning it out the problem was solved which was the same thing the mechanic seemed to think it was so hopefully it'll be an easy fix. At first the bike wouldn't stay running . . . adjusted the idle up and it ran but then when hot it would either take a long time to drop down to idle of if you were idling and gave it a little gas it would stick at that point and idle high . . . I was able to control it for the most part with the clutch except for down hill where I didn't really have much in the way of engine braking. Sounds like the plan is to clean the carb, which on a week old bike should hopefully fall within the warranty . . . it started acting up before I even put gas in it!
high idle is usually not something plugged,usually the reverse happens like wont idle.sounds like to me slide stuck or cables not adjusted rite (no free play) that can be fixed at the bars maybe.at any rate clean the carb,stock tanks or any tank can have shavings in them that can cause all kind of junk...i run filters and am amazed at whats in gas at every fill up,i change them alot and on the trail you can just reverse clean them out if needed.ride on and
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #15459
Jon F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hi guys,

Thanks for the ride today, had a great time, and it was great to meet all of you. Sorry for holding you all up so much!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #15460
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
safely home!

thanks to everyone for coming out... glad to hear everyone are home safely...at least those who already checked in. hope all had a great time, except for ....
thanks wes for the message and text; good to hear you're ok... thanks spafxer for the follow up message.

duy, you're one lucky fella.

johngil, fmfpunk, tuff enuff, and i did the full route...sheez it was a looong day. great weather up on sawmill @ 85F. we ran out of dirt.... so ended up doing rowher in reverse...what a bunch of dirt whore...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #15461
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon F
Hi guys,

Thanks for the ride today, had a great time, and it was great to meet all of you. Sorry for holding you all up so much!
Jon,

I'll ride with ya. Us slow guys have got to stick together. Don't let the Fake N00b (Joel , luv ya man) suck you in. He is a riding machine. I have been riding more and more with these guys. Before you know it, there will be some other n00b that we can wait on.

Bob

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #15462
johngil
Reseda, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon F
Hi guys,

It's not a race. Glad you weren't riding alone today. Anything can happen.
It was great meeting you.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #15463
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
I ended up at the same 7-11 on Osborn and Glenoaks using google directions. If I didn't see 3 KTM's haul by, I would have missed it too.

PS: I am home. I got side swiped by an SUV who moved over on me as I was passing by. He hit me square in the hand guard which sent my bike 1/2 way into the #1 lane. No damage done other than to my shorts. Other than that, great ride
Glad you made it home to post this. So did the guy know that he hit/bumped you?Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #15464
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Glad you made it home to post this. So did the guy know that he hit/bumped you?Ben
Ben they dont care bro,the guy that hit me left me to bleed to death with an open radial fracture.Cagers just passed as i lay there bleeding out in the no.3 of six lanes.He could still make it to see Oprah if he kept going
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #15465
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Home; 280 miles. Great ride.
thx to JohnGil for taking me on stuff i wouldn't normally ride.

See you next time.

Marty