ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #15886
Eggroll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
[quote=sito]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll
Joel, Estimate gas range for the long ride ( MacDonald to Big Bear)?

60- 80 miles would be my guess betewwn gas stops at most.

Thank Sito,
Still trying to make this ride, will see.

Eggroll
Eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #15887
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,904
here's an estimate starting from McDs doing the longer route

McDs-Cleghorn-Pilot Truck Trail-Coxey-Big Pine-Holcomb-Van Dusen-Big Bear

no more than 80 miles to big bear @ 6 hours + break time.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #15888
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
if i may throw this idea out there because of recent events and events that happen everytime there is a LARGE group ride.....

break off into 2 or 3 groups and meet at lunch.

-noobs group

-intermediate group

-fast group

just an idea so this doesn't turn into a clusterfuck.

i'm going to type in orange now cuz i took a swig of the juice. j/k
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #15889
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
No Lunch for Noobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR
if i may throw this idea out there because of recent events and events that happen everytime there is a LARGE group ride.....

-noobs group

-intermediate group

-fast group

Sounds good but wee noobs will ride slower, crash a lot, get lost in the woods, cry, miss lunch, go hungry and not make it home until 2 or 3 a.m.

Aw, WTF. We've all done that.

F the F-ng Noobs. Leave em laying on the trail.

C'mon boys. Let's play nice. And I'm not just saying that because I never know with which group to ride even though I really never do know.

I find it hugely entertaining no matter which group I ride in. The one thing I have noticed is that with certain groups it's more of an endurance workout while with other groups it's more of a strength workout. That Duy is going to be one seriously Strong MF-er.

WW

WW
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #15890
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead
I'll pass on this ride.
Why?

If you can ride WMRS, you can certainly do this ride!

The scenery and ride are terrific!
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #15891
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:

-noobs group

-intermediate group

-fast group

good idea and thanks for being up front.

mixing the slow and the fast doesn't go well, unless the fast riders have the patience. the result is even worse if the slow rider goes fast...

the problem i see is that fast riders will join an intermediate group, instead of them assimilating to the pace of the group, they will do their own thing, then at the end of the day, they will blame the group for being too big...

also, these happened in the last few rides, nothing to do with the skill level, riders just being careless or selfish.....

1) the rider in front does not wait at the junction or tee!

2) the rider in front does not wait for the rider behind after a challenging run, like a hill climb, sandwash, water crossing, and other terrain that can cause the rider to crash and might need help. the rider in front shall make sure that the rider behind made it through safely, before taking off.

3) lurkers showing up and ride without paying attention to the riding plan.

4) riders not reading the posts, show up with lack of preparation, and ask to many questions in the middle of the ride....

the whole idea of the weekend ride is to do a group ride, develop camarederie, riding skills, impart trail ethics, good practices, and enjoy different places. group ride has safety in numbers.

i will get a head count of all the riders who are coming this sunday so we can organize and plan the ride accordingly.

please indicate if you want to be in the fast group or the main group. we also need someone to volunteer to lead the fast group......
Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #15892
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,232
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

mixing the slow and the fast doesn't go well, unless the fast riders have the patience. the result is even worse if the slow rider goes fast...

the problem i see is that fast riders will join an intermediate group, instead of them assimilating to the pace of the group, they will do their own thing, then at the end of the day, they will blame the group for being too big...

also, these happened in the last few rides, nothing to do with the skill level, riders just being careless or selfish.....

2) the rider in front does not wait for the rider behind after a challenging run, like a hill climb, sandwash, water crossing, and other terrain that can cause the rider to crash and might need help. the rider in front shall make sure that the rider behind made it through safely, before taking off.

4) riders not reading the posts, show up with lack of preparation, and ask to many questions in the middle of the ride....

the whole idea of the weekend ride is to do a group ride, develop camarederie, riding skills, impart trail ethics, good practices, and enjoy different places. group ride has safety in numbers.

i will get a head count of all the riders who are coming this sunday so we can organize and plan the ride accordingly.

please indicate if you want to be in the fast group or the main group. we also need someone to volunteer to lead the fast group......
Joel ,i always take wait breaks some people even complain about them thinkin i want to chase this "CF" in my jeep seeing as riding is not in my near future,see you guys at Mcds 8 am
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #15893
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

good plan Joel.

I do feel that we need to remind ourselves to wait for the guy behind you at the "Y" in the road or the hillclimb or the sandwash or the paved road.

this goes for groups of 3 or 13.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #15894
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
i feel i have to redeem myself. if i can get off work at a decent hour saturday, i will try to be at mc'd's at the prescribed meeting time
Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #15895
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Quote:
good plan Joel.

I do feel that we need to remind ourselves to wait for the guy behind you at the "Y" in the road or the hillclimb or the sandwash or the paved road.

this goes for groups of 3 or 13.
If I could chime in here:

* Pre-ride meetings are a good idea. The guy who sets up the ride needs to lay the ground rules out for everyone.

My basic rules are:

Wait at any critical turns for the rider behind you. If it's a straight road, just keep going.

If you are going to leave, let someone else know you are leaving. (Spent an anxious afternoon riding up and down dirt roads in the mountains thinking someone went off a cliff only to find out he went home and didn't say anything. )

Ride within your abilities.

That's about the extent of rules I like to cover in pre-ride meetings, but another suggestion about group rides in general:

Please don't show up with a bike that isn't in good repair. Bald tires, dead batteries, overheating? Stay home and fix it, don't waste other people's riding time fixing your bike.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks
CA Stu

PS I agree with RAZR on the small subgroups, too.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #15896
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

..... and know how to change your own flat.

Sito has been gracious in the past at jumping in to help, but we need to take care of our own bikes ( on the trail and off).

bring your own tube, tire irons, air pump or co2's. and basic tools that can do minor repairs.

there are threads on ADV about tools and what to bring and videos on how to change a tire.

practice at home in your garage. change your own tires when you buy new ones so you have the practice to do it on the trail.

now, LET'S RIDE ! ! !
Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #15897
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
..... and know how to fix your own head light.

Sito has been gracious in the past at jumping in to help, but we need to take care of our own bikes ( on the trail and off).

bring your own tube, tire irons, air pump or co2's. and basic tools that can do minor repairs.

there are threads on ADV about tools and what to bring and videos on how to change a tire.

practice at home in your garage. change your own tires when you buy new ones so you have the practice to do it on the trail.

now, LET'S RIDE ! ! !
fixed and Geebus....too many rules ,i got one bring your own beer
Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #15898
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
fixed and Geebus....too many rules ,i got one bring your own beer
hahahahaa i can ride with no headlight.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #15899
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Remember the most important thing, get home at the end of the day. The rest usually works its self out. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #15900
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

i hope other riders read, understand and abide to what were stated in the previous posts. those are all valuable information shared by experienced riders; one day you will be thankful that you read em.

+

lunch, let's go to AZTECA GRILL RESTAURANT on 40199 Big Bear Blvd; i made a reservation for about 12 - 14 riders (and 1 jeeper) @ 2 PM. it's the best mexican restaurant in big bear....

909-659-6133

check out the link, there's also a map how to get there.

http://www.aztecabigbear.com/

if mexican food is not your liking, there's a pizza place next door and lots of alternatives in the area.

advriders at azteca

this is making me hungry...