ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #16831
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
It's the main 15a fuse under the left side panel. It powers everything. It's the first thing in line. There is only a six inch wire between it and the positive battery terminal. I will inspect it and everything else better in the morning. I saw your frayed wire to the e-start. I'm pretty sure i don't have that.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will take a better look at it when I'm fresh in the morning.

The good news: I finally rode my my bike today.
The bad news: If I can't fix it tomorrow, I will miss Big Bear again.
It's USUALLY a wire around the headstock. But like everyone said it can be a bear to find sometimes. Take the bike to Big Bear and get help from these FF's. Some of em even have pickups to get you up there
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #16832
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
It's the main 15a fuse under the left side panel. It powers everything. It's the first thing in line. There is only a six inch wire between it and the positive battery terminal. I will inspect it and everything else better in the morning. I saw your frayed wire to the e-start. I'm pretty sure i don't have that.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will take a better look at it when I'm fresh in the morning.

The good news: I finally rode my my bike today.
The bad news: If I can't fix it tomorrow, I will miss Big Bear again.
You're on the right path, you already know which fuse is blowing, so there's your evidence and starting point, just trace all the lines on that fuse.
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #16833
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
I see the 15 amp main fuse. You are right, it does power almost everything. Never fear, the problem can be found.

I think we are looking for a wire that has chafed to ground. Using a multimeter to find this is possible but a visual inspection is much more intuitive.

First, has any thing been removed and put back on... Pinched under the seat, fuel tank, near any of the moving suspension parts, or pinched at the steering stops. Side stand switch or anything near the skid plate can suffer damage.

The cooling fan is possible if it is frozen up, or damaged. Just disconnect it for now and do a test ride.

To blow 15 amp fuses, it takes a fair amount of "short ciruiting" so it should not be any electronic, light bulb, or relay type devices.

Let's start there and see what you find.

Jim

PM sent with cell #
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #16834
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Thanks again everyone. I'm gonna go see what I can find.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #16835
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
I'm free this afternoon and I can help you out. I'll give you call when I get back home.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #16836
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,518
Here is how you fix your problem Eric:

Step 1. Make sure your bike insurance in up to date and covers fire.

Step 2. Cut the fuse out and Wire Nut the 2 wires back together.

Step 3. Ride the bike around town like a nut case jumping curbs and stuff.

Step 4. Wait for the wire to burn up, usually the wire will burn up back to the short.

Step 5. Now that you found the short replace and repair all the parts you burned up.

Option : After step 3 loosen the fuel line and make sure their is plenty of gas all over the wiring and engine. When the short happens the bike will burst in to flames. At this point you will need to jump off the bike. Once off the bike grab your cell phone and call the closest KTM dealer and tell them you are in the market for a new bike.

Get that bike fixed and get your ASS to Arrowhead! I can always bring the 950 and you and Cathy can ride together!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #16837
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
Here is how you fix your problem Eric:

Step 1. Make sure your bike insurance in up to date and covers fire.

Step 2. Cut the fuse out and Wire Nut the 2 wires back together.

Step 3. Ride the bike around town like a nut case jumping curbs and stuff.

Step 4. Wait for the wire to burn up, usually the wire will burn up back to the short.

Step 5. Now that you found the short replace and repair all the parts you burned up.

Option : After step 3 loosen the fuel line and make sure their is plenty of gas all over the wiring and engine. When the short happens the bike will burst in to flames. At this point you will need to jump off the bike. Once off the bike grab your cell phone and call the closest KTM dealer and tell them you are in the market for a new bike.

Get that bike fixed and get your ASS to Arrowhead! I can always bring the 950 and you and Cathy can ride together!
True story:

My insurance agent called me and said they needed to inspect the vin and take a picture of my BMW f650 GS.

So I went to their office, took a picture of the bike. HE had me turn on the key to read Odometer, and then he wanted a copy of the registration.

SO I followed him in for the copy.

When I came back out, the bike was smoking badly. I left the key on, and the wiring harness had basically caught fire right there in AAA's parking lot.

AAA had a picture of the bike in perfect condition...
I had a witness that I'd not done anything (again, AAA), and conveniently I was already there so filing a claim was easy :)

Got a $2,800 check in like a week
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #16838
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:

eric, you still don't get it.....

there ain't any room in this thread for 610s....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #16839
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
eric, you still don't get it.....

there ain't any room in this thread for 610s....
He's just trying to fit in with you KTM guys. I mean give him some slack, he had to pretend it was broke just to get you FF's to talk to him.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #16840
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito

good deal
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #16841
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,379
Just finished a ride with another FF. Left Fillmore hit Guiberson over to Lake Hughes Road, to San Fransquito to Boquet had the 50/50 @ Rock Inn. Ended up at Frasier Park for fuel and out to the 33 and had a beer at the Lodge in Ojai, then home.

Short ride only 280 miles all slabs. No pictures , next time.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #16842
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112
Just finished a ride with another FF. Left Fillmore hit Guiberson over to Lake Hughes Road, to San Fransquito to Boquet had the 50/50 @ Rock Inn. Ended up at Frasier Park for fuel and out to the 33 and had a beer at the Lodge in Ojai, then home.

Short ride only 280 miles all slabs. No pictures , next time.
No pics,it didn't happen!
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #16843
BiggieFalls
b00b

Alright, I'm back. Finally got everything back together. RandyM, my local electrical engineer, came by and helped me for at least half the day. Thanks again Randy. We had most of the bike apart trying to find anything out of the ordinary. But it's a 610, so of course everything was in great shape. No signs of frayed wires or chaffed insulation or anything else. Nothing caused spikes or drops in any of the readings. No continuity issues. In fact, there really wasn't anything that seemed like it could cause those fuses to blow. The only thing that we could find that maybe was the cause was the battery. If I was banging the bike around enough there is a slight chance that the battery could have moved and shorted against a clip nut on the fender. So we covered that with a custom plastic bottle cap, taped to the fender, to create a barrier between the two. Sorry, no pictures, patent pending. I also disconnected my additional electronics just in case.

So I will be heading to Big Bear in the morning with Randy. I'm packing extra fuses. If they start blowing, I will just turn around and come home. I'm optimistic that everything will work perfectly.

Thanks again everyone, especially RandyM, for all of your help and suggestions.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #16844
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But it's a 610, so of course everything was in great shape. No signs of frayed wires or chaffed insulation or anything else.

Ha!

Actually Now that it's too late I remember I did have the same thing happen to me, and it was the F*CKING light bulb shorting out.

So if it persists, remove the damned bulb(s) if you still have the stocker.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #16845
BiggieFalls
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

Ha!

Actually Now that it's too late I remember I did have the same thing happen to me, and it was the F*CKING light bulb shorting out.

So if it persists, remove the damned bulb(s) if you still have the stocker.
That would be sweet. Two guys spend all day tearing the bike apart checking every wire three different ways and it's a light bulb.