ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #17416
HammerMech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
What year XR. I have an 86 XL but most of the parts should be the same. As for engines I cannot recommend an oil cooler enough. I think this ride might have destroyed my bike. I am dreading taking the oil drain plug out. I just know I will get chunks of metal out with the old oil.
HammerMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #17417
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Not the best way to get you post count up

Did she blow up on you on the ride home? Poor girl.

Fishyhead screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 01:22 PM
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #17418
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
So now you have to have red BMW gear (GS) and blue BMW gear (HP2)? Honda red, KTM orange, Guzzi red, Yamaha white...did I miss anything?

mark, i want to be as practical and simple as i can; stay neutral but the damned people from this thread bought all the klims. huge back order....

i think they will form a glee club very soon.....

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #17419
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead
Not the best way to get you post count up
hahaha go ez on the noob

Hammer as for the old hondas i ride a '82XL500R that has the loudest ruffist piston slap i have ever heard and to top it off 1/2 to 3/4 of the rocker box bolts are stripped. this was before honda put in real caps for the cam and the cover literally is the cap that holds the cam in place but the thing just keeps on running man. old air cooled hondas can take a lot of shit and keep going..i just run 20w50 in it now
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #17420
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:

I swear I'm going to get some nerf mini footballs and tape them to my pressure suit to force my elbows out.

duy, stop going to the temple so you don't hear the monks calling you grasshopper...problem solved. the spell is gone....

Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #17421
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
mark, i want to be as practical and simple as i can; stay neutral but the damned people from this thread bought all the klims. huge back order....

i think they will form a glee club very soon.....

You didn't get the memo I thought we all did the group buy.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #17422
HammerMech
Adventurer

Good advice about the thicker oil. I will have to try. I do not know how my message got all screwed up so sorry about that. As for getting home, if it was not for Jon I doubt I would have made it. The bike is still running I just stiched up the rear fender some more. Do not know how it managed to crack as bad as it did. I guess some of those trails had more bumps then I thought. It was great riding though.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #17423
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerMech
My bike is a classic XL not an XR. Classic as in 50K miles, hard to get parts for, and possible a broken piston skirt now. I am dreading draining the oil because it might confirm this. I cannot recommend an oil cooler enough. Hope fully no metal comes out with the oil. Anyway thanks for putting those pictures up, the ride was awesome to say the least. As for your XR slater, what year, it sucks being the only honda.

get the camera, drain the oil out and we want pics or you don't go on the next ride........

hope nothing broken, it's a honda....

hey rich, don't let the ktm boyz take the best of you. i ride an xr400 and love that bike. for sure will keep it longer than the KTMs that i have now.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #17424
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
I saw Joel practicing Ami's style the other night:

ok, the gs is gone....the hunt for the blue october is on......
Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #17425
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,378
Angeles Crest news

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5238263.story
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #17426
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
get the camera, drain the oil out and we want pics or you don't go on the next ride........

hope nothing broken, it's a honda....

hey rich, don't let the ktm boyz take the best of you. i ride an xr400 and love that bike. for sure will keep it longer than the KTMs that i have now.
Rich,

Hondas rule buddy. The KTMs make look sexy, may go really fast. But our Hondas start every day and run can run the day light out of them and they start again. XR4 and soon to be XRL owner

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #17427
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
My bike is a classic XL not an XR. Classic as in 50K miles, hard to get parts for, and possible a broken piston skirt now. I am dreading draining the oil because it might confirm this. I cannot recommend an oil cooler enough. Hope fully no metal comes out with the oil. Anyway thanks for putting those pictures up, the ride was awesome to say the least. As for your XR slater, what year, it sucks being the only honda.
Have you tried Rocky Mtn ATV for parts? They carry quite a few a/m parts that should fit just about any bike regardless of brand.

EDIT: I just check Rocky Mtn and they carry everything you'll to rebuild your engine need under the XR600R search, and a few under XL600. Get the Pro X piston, those are OEM type cast pistons and made in Japan. I've used the Tusk clutch packs with no issues at all!

My old '81 XL500 lasted WAY more than 50K miles without a problem, and I'm expecting my '09 XR650L to last me quite a few years. That bike is built like a tank and solid!

My XRL's owners manual specs 10W-40 for our ambient temps, what brand & weight of oil are you running? I use only synthetic oils; Mobil 1 (auto) and Castrol Syntec (auto).
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)

Earl999 screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 07:35 AM
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #17428
HammerMech
Adventurer

I use castrol 10w40 motorcycle, but not synthetic. I like the motorcycle because it is a one liter not one quart bottle. As for rocky mountain I will have to look them up. I was thinking about the synthetic but it is twice the cost, and I change the oil quite regularly. Once a month, which works out to be twelve days of street riding. Multiply by the two bikes and syn. gets real expensive of course if the interval should change it might balance out.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #17429
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
I use castrol 10w40 motorcycle, but not synthetic. I like the motorcycle because it is a one liter not one quart bottle. As for rocky mountain I will have to look them up. I was thinking about the synthetic but it is twice the cost, and I change the oil quite regularly. Once a month, which works out to be twelve days of street riding. Multiply by the two bikes and syn. gets real expensive of course if the interval should change it might balance out.
Go to Wal Mart and buy their 5 quart jugs of Castrol Syntec for $25, and Mobil 1 5 qt jugs are $24, I buy several jugs at a time. If you use a syn oil, you can increase the change interval, they're superior in every technical parameter compared to dino oils.

Have you rejetted the carb? Honda XLs are jetted seriously lean and run way too hot stock, rejet richer and it'll run SO much cooler with a dense cooling charge of fuel. My XRL ran really hot, but runs so much better and cooler after I rejetted!

Here's the link to Rocky Mtn ATV, dirt bikers know this site well, I buy ALL of my parts for all 5 of my dirt bikes from them!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #17430
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
?

S H I F T Y screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 02:00 PM
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote