ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #17851
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR
i paid the extra just to support a local motorcycle shop, Scotts, with my Leatt and other motorcycle accessory purchases just to keep the money at home.

Trail Tricks is in our local economy and are always working with us local riders!

they are all racers too!
+1
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #17852
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping
The US state tax system is one of the weirdest things I've seen since I came to the states 12 years ago. It's one of the major things driving my purchasing away from local (as in statewide local) businesses. Who wants to pay almost 10% tax when you can go sit down at your computer click a couple of links and have your shyt delivered to your front door for less? I would love to buy more stuff locally, but with the economy the way it is and an already thin wallet, who's gonna go out of their way to pay more?

Ok, that was way off topic. Back to the regularly scheduled injuries, broken down bikes and upcoming rides!
Is ok to do that will see in a short time more dealers and shops going out because o this .
I try the keep all my bussines local because went i need my car align my local shop do it ,went i have a ?? the local shop answers .The internet is cheap but they no always have the answer o time to answer .
Since january i charge $15 more per wheel if you buy the tire in another shop and you want me the install it , also have no answers for guys the shop the internet heavy so they save $10/20 per order .
How many internet retailers take you on a ride tru some killer stuff,or invite you to their cabin in the mtns ,or let you used their trailer,or have a cooler in the deck with beer's, They not care you just a number for theme .
I have a good relation with most o my customers and I understand went they shop on the net and they save $$ and i can't match o get close to the net price .Normally is only tires so if they install theme is a saving , if not I have to charge extra because my tire balancer and change machine cost me over 10 K for the best .
Not to mention wen they ask if can paid you for that next month ,o Im short on $$ and i need a new tire ,or a top end work ,o can i split this in 2 paychecks

The problem right now is from 1999 to 2007 the motorcycle industry got bombed with a stimuluss from non pasionate riders and bump the sales from 400 kunits a year to 1.2 millon a year ,now we going back to prior to 1999 and all the dealers and internet retailers the think the motorcycle comunity grow will have a big eye opener in the next 2 years .

We getting back to the 400k units a year and is a good think i belive

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #17853
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,232
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
Is ok to do that will see in a short time more dealers and shops going out because o this .
I try the keep all my bussines local because went i need my car align my local shop do it ,went i have a ?? the local shop answers .The internet is cheap but they no always have the answer o time to answer .
Since january i charge $15 more per wheel if you buy the tire in another shop and you want me the install it , also have no answers for guys the shop the internet heavy so they save $10/20 per order .
How many internet retailers take you on a ride tru some killer stuff,or invite you to their cabin in the mtns ,or let you used their trailer,or have a cooler in the deck with beer's, They not care you just a number for theme .
I have a good relation with most o my customers and I understand went they shop on the net and they save $$ and i can't match o get close to the net price .Normally is only tires so if they install theme is a saving , if not I have to charge extra because my tire balancer and change machine cost me over 10 K for the best .
Not to mention wen they ask if can paid you for that next month ,o Im short on $$ and i need a new tire ,or a top end work ,o can i split this in 2 paychecks

The problem right now is from 1999 to 2007 the motorcycle industry got bombed with a stimuluss from non pasionate riders and bump the sales from 400 kunits a year to 1.2 millon a year ,now we going back to prior to 1999 and all the dealers and internet retailers the think the motorcycle comunity grow will have a big eye opener in the next 2 years .

We getting back to the 400k units a year and is a good think i belive
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #17854
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
I try to always support the mom and pop shops. The only time i don't is when they can't get me what I need. Javier. What I am noticing is people are keeping stuff longer I have been seeing alot of work in the service areas. You noticing the same thing? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #17855
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
I totally agree with everything you said Javier, I definitely didn't mean to attack you if it seemed that way. I just think the state tax system is a mysterious creature. If you live along the border to another state it would get even more messed up. Say you live on the border to NV, AZ or something like that and you're looking to buy some stuff for $1,000. If you walk down to your local shop it's ~$1,100 with tax, if you call up the shop in the neighboring town across the border and have them send it over to you it's suddenly $100 cheaper (most shops who also deal over the internet don't even charge shipping on orders over $100). If you're a dude who's already struggling in this economy are you gonna go save up for another month so you can pony up the extra $100 just because the local shop is local or the guy who runs it is nice? I don't think the current tax system is up to snuff with the 21st century, that was my real point.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #17856
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
i think all this can be said during this current economy.

i am now feeling it in my business..... hair salon.

people are stretching their visits for haircuts or they are going to supercuts or the asian salons that charge 1/6th of what i charge, but the workmanship is 1/6th of what i do.

i'm not going to say i agree with the current tax system, but we need to help out local shops, Trail Tricks, Scotts, etc and NOT buy your Starbucks latte. Starbucks
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #17857
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
I totally agree with everything you said Javier, I definitely didn't mean to attack you if it seemed that way. I just think the state tax system is a mysterious creature. If you live along the border to another state it would get even more messed up. Say you live on the border to NV, AZ or something like that and you're looking to buy some stuff for $1,000. If you walk down to your local shop it's ~$1,100 with tax, if you call up the shop in the neighboring town across the border and have them send it over to you it's suddenly $100 cheaper (most shops who also deal over the internet don't even charge shipping on orders over $100). If you're a dude who's already struggling in this economy are you gonna go save up for another month so you can pony up the extra $100 just because the local shop is local or the guy who runs it is nice? I don't think the current tax system is up to snuff with the 21st century, that was my real point.
So you want to make every state charge sales taxes no mather were you live ??is comming soon

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #17858
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
So you want to make every state charge sales taxes no mather were you live ??is comming soon
Hell no, remove it everywhere!!

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #17859
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
this is true.

i think it's been in the congress a few times for discussion on "internet sales".

you will be taxed on where you live not where you buy from.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #17860
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
On book shopping trips to NY, when I would pay for the books I could pay the tax and take 50 lbs of books back to my hotel, then figure out how to get them home. Or, I could usually opt to ship them from the bookshop, in which case, I would no longer have to pay the tax, and shipping would usually be less than the tax would be. When you get home the books are usually waiting for you. The tax thing is a bit crazy.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #17861
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
this is true.

i think it's been in the congress a few times for discussion on "internet sales".

you will be taxed on where you live not where you buy from.
It suck but it just a matter of time. Its just to much money to let it slide.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #17862
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
On book shopping trips to NY, when I would pay for the books I could pay the tax and take 50 lbs of books back to my hotel, then figure out how to get them home. Or, I could usually opt to ship them from the bookshop, in which case, I would no longer have to pay the tax, and shipping would usually be less than the tax would be. When you get home the books are usually waiting for you. The tax thing is a bit crazy.

you don't read books.

what were they for, toilet paper?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #17863
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
you don't read books.

what were they for, toilet paper?
They had lots of purdy pictures in 'em.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #17864
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Hell no, remove it everywhere!!
Were you from ,I bet you paid taxes in every state in you country like In mine and most o the world 23% too

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #17865
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
or invite you to their cabin in the mtns ,or let you used their trailer,
Check

Check

More business coming in soon from this inmate.
I wish I knew about the Klim discount a couple of days ago. I heard Klim didn't allow discounting. I will try to get in before the first snow fall.
loner is offline   Reply With Quote