ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #17971
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,678
Great to hear that Vern is up and around, recovering from surgery. Looks like Cedar Sinai is taking great care of him, good to hear!

Just a data point for those trying to figure out gear compatibility, because you SoCal riders may not have seen this option - I use a Canadian made product called a "Tekvest Rally Max". It's a nicely made garment from a home-grown company that mostly makes stuff for snowmobilers. Klim now brands their Tekvest as their own, although I'm not sure that it's the Leatt-compatible model. The Tekvest website is pathetic and outdated, but the link for the Leatt-compatible model is here http://tekrider.com/rm_1.html

I had the Rockgardn for a year or so, and while it works very well with the brace, I found it difficult to get on and off, and excessively hot. The Rally Max vest has perforated armor and flows air very well - I find it far more comfortable with a vented jersey/Tekvest than the pressure suit.

Now I wear a smaller size jersey, then the Leatt, then the Tekvest over top. The vest has fairly stiff shoulder armour and it's designed to "hook" over the little wings on the sides of the Leatt and hold it down into place. Functionally it works brilliantly, and you don't need to use any of the Leatt straps. I can take the vest on and off easily when I'm fixing Rinconrider's bike at the trailside and not overheat.

For a while I wore the Blais jacket over top of the vest/Leatt, which worked fine, although now I wear a smaller-size Klim Powerxross goretex shell UNDER the Leatt, which gives me complete waterproofing and a good neck seal for cold/wet riding.

The vest has two chest pockets which I use to keep a tire gauge, goggle wipes, clif bars, and a few other sundries. There is a built-in Camelback reservoir which is very handy. This allows me to run completely without a backpack, and put my tools/first aid kit/beef jerky in the Mojavi bag.

Here's a representative photo if you're interested.

The biggest downside of this vest is that it's bloody expensive, and you have to wear separate elbow guards. However as soon as this one wears out, if it ever does, I'm buying another - it's that good. I do NOT know if it would work with the Alpinestars neck brace as it may not have the same tabs for the shoulder armour to hold it down. I'll be at Trailtricks with my vest within the next couple of weeks and would be happy to try on an Alpinestars with the vest if anyone wants to know.

All that to say - get better soon Vern, and hopefully most of us can find a neck brace system that works well/fits comfortably.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #17972
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
eric, i dread the thought of using lube, that's why i prefer the shaft....
Old 11-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #17973
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,118
tekvest

..what say ye Javier?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #17974
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
..what say ye Javier?

expensive ,i going to used the alpinestars chest protector $150 or the full armor $240 .I can get those but i never ask

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #17975
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
large.....Carbon fiber...weighs nothing....
How it works with the Kilm pull over the you have ??.
I maybe stop by you home thursday o friday drop that wheel off ,I have a Mobile work in muholland few miles from you place

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #17976
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider
Break in the Jew front brake pads. ?
Product of Israel.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #17977
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
A few thoughts...

1) I have the same Dainese pressure suit as Joel...(see pics)

It is only important that the back of the brace is inside the pressure suit as Joel has his.

2) The A-stars brace is just a much thinner piece in all dimensions. You can put your jersey on over your pressure suit and then slide the back of the brace inside the back of the Jersey's collar and inside the back of the pressure suit. This allows the rest of the brace to sit comfortably on top of the jersey...

3) The A-stars is designed to protect the collar bones and the Leatt is designed to transfer energy to the collar bones (better a clavicle than your neck) I don't pretend to know which is better....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #17978
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

My thoughts on wearing Carbon fiber on your person. I spent the longest part of my professional career in this business and here's what I can tell you with 100% certainty.

Carbon fiber, of all of the composite materials has the lowest rated impact resistance and the highest tensile modulus. Which means, when it breaks or is impacted it fails with such a high level of stored kinetic energy that it would most likely make any failures worse that they would've been otherwise. Also, carbon fiber has a serious problem with impacts since it literally shoots out small carbon fiber spears that are as small as a stick pin, but 100 times sharper.

The only time carbon fiber should be used for any component is for the following reasons:
  • Where you need stiffness, but no impact resistance.
  • When you need compressive strength, but no tensile strength.
Personally, I would not invest any money in carbonf iber body armor unless the carbon was for purely cosmetic purposes and only made up 5% or less of the over construction of the panel it was in.

Just my .02
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #17979
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
My thoughts on wearing Carbon fiber on your person. I spent the longest part of my professional career in this business and here's what I can tell you with 100% certainty.

Carbon fiber, of all of the composite materials has the lowest rated impact resistance and the highest tensile modulus. Which means, when it breaks or is impacted it fails with such a high level of stored kinetic energy that it would most likely make any failures worse that they would've been otherwise. Also, carbon fiber has a serious problem with impacts since it literally shoots out small carbon fiber spears that are as small as a stick pin, but 100 times sharper.

The only time carbon fiber should be used for any component is for the following reasons:
Personally, I would not invest any money in carbonf iber body armor unless the carbon was for purely cosmetic purposes and only made up 5% or less of the over construction of the panel it was in.

Just my .02
i have to agree... it looks pretty
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #17980
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:

Just my .02

The CF has a polymer coating on it for the exact reasons you mention...The Collar is designed to "fail" ie crumple zone....but the fibers are covered...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #17981
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
The CF has a polymer coating on it for the exact reasons you mention...The Collar is designed to "fail" ie crumple zone....but the fibers are covered...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #17982
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
Great to hear that Vern is up and around, recovering from surgery. Looks like Cedar Sinai is taking great care of him, good to hear!

Just a data point for those trying to figure out gear compatibility, because you SoCal riders may not have seen this option - I use a Canadian made product called a "Tekvest Rally Max". It's a nicely made garment from a home-grown company that mostly makes stuff for snowmobilers. Klim now brands their Tekvest as their own, although I'm not sure that it's the Leatt-compatible model. The Tekvest website is pathetic and outdated, but the link for the Leatt-compatible model is here http://tekrider.com/rm_1.html

I had the Rockgardn for a year or so, and while it works very well with the brace, I found it difficult to get on and off, and excessively hot. The Rally Max vest has perforated armor and flows air very well - I find it far more comfortable with a vented jersey/Tekvest than the pressure suit.

Now I wear a smaller size jersey, then the Leatt, then the Tekvest over top. The vest has fairly stiff shoulder armour and it's designed to "hook" over the little wings on the sides of the Leatt and hold it down into place. Functionally it works brilliantly, and you don't need to use any of the Leatt straps. I can take the vest on and off easily when I'm fixing Rinconrider's bike at the trailside and not overheat.

For a while I wore the Blais jacket over top of the vest/Leatt, which worked fine, although now I wear a smaller-size Klim Powerxross goretex shell UNDER the Leatt, which gives me complete waterproofing and a good neck seal for cold/wet riding.

The vest has two chest pockets which I use to keep a tire gauge, goggle wipes, clif bars, and a few other sundries. There is a built-in Camelback reservoir which is very handy. This allows me to run completely without a backpack, and put my tools/first aid kit/beef jerky in the Mojavi bag.

Here's a representative photo if you're interested.

The biggest downside of this vest is that it's bloody expensive, and you have to wear separate elbow guards. However as soon as this one wears out, if it ever does, I'm buying another - it's that good. I do NOT know if it would work with the Alpinestars neck brace as it may not have the same tabs for the shoulder armour to hold it down. I'll be at Trailtricks with my vest within the next couple of weeks and would be happy to try on an Alpinestars with the vest if anyone wants to know.

All that to say - get better soon Vern, and hopefully most of us can find a neck brace system that works well/fits comfortably.

dc

thanks cd, very good info. for me, nothing too expensive when it comes to preventive measure or minimize the consequences.

my job pays for my riding, and when i ride, i keep reminding myself that i have a job that's paying for the ride. be at work every monday. it's a cycle, one takes care of the other. that's the main reason why i suck on hill climbs, single tracks, and sand....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #17983
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzlvr
what flavor?

coffe or mocha, he told me that he shares the cookies and goodies with the nursing staff. that way, no one falls asleep while on duty...

as of last night, vern thinks they will keep him for 2 or 3 more days.

parking is $10 - $13, but save yourself by riding your bike. free parking at the structure near the south/north tower (where vern's confined), corner of gracie allen (alden)and george burns

john was spooked...

did you guys see us last night on channel 4 news

we stopped and ate at the Pamous Pink's

best chili dog in town and cool soda

there were a couple of celebs last night, john will know the names. the other customers thought theys were seeing ted nugent...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #17984
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Product of Israel.
Lol. Fat fingers on the iPhone. They were a little cheaper though :)
Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #17985
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Pimping the Tee-Dub wearing a 'stich? awesome!