ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #18436
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,320
Bluhduh What the puck ?

Another fellow inmate down for the count !
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=156
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #18437
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
nice stuff Kiecker
I went with the Marmot Helium and the prolite pad
I like tents and have been looking at the black diamond firstlight
good gear makes the trip better
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #18438
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Kiecker
This is what my ride looked like going to Death Valley nOOb ride vs Baja this past weekend.

Essentially carried the same amount and type of stuff, but the update in volume helped a ton. I shopped and researched for quite a while determining what I wanted and then waited for REI's 20% off coupon to come out and then used a couple accounts. Hennesey Hammock also has their annual demo sale in October I used. In fact they currently have a holiday sale including a free hammock, http://hennessyhammock.com/sales.html. Might be an opportunity for a couple FF's to try it out. I don't think hammocks are the end solution but definitely an option. On Monday I was back at REI looking at bivy's and 1-mans. Unfortunately 1-mans really don't save as much packed volume from my 2-man as I was hoping. I'll also look at turning the hammock into a bivy sack when I can't hang.
Size matters.

I'm not a fan of bivies but definitely size of equipment is something to consider. For bedtime Inside the tent Personally I use a Big Agnes Park model down sleeping bag. Much more roomy than a mummy bag. Packs small because it's only insulated on top. A thin thermarest adds little volume.

As far as tents go, no poles, good volume and fast setup (claimed 15 seconds) makes the Nemo tents attractive. They pack small. As stated previously, I do not like bivies. Too cramped. No fun if stranded or staying a while. The 2 man Nemo is about as roomy as a three man tent by anyone else. Add to that the fact that you can set it up while inside the tent...think pissing down rain, and it's even more attractive. Plus the Company owner is an ADVer. A 2 man tent saves room too if traveling with a friend or significant other with whom you don't mind sharing living quarters. They aren't free standing so a couple of stakes are required or must be tied down. Other than that I see no drawbacks. They sell bivies too if you feel you must but for comfort's sake I wouldn't do
the bivie. Check them out at link below.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/airsupported-technology

WW
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #18439
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer
Another fellow inmate down for the count !
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=156
Another asshole who can't see a bike when making a left turn... this shit is starting to piss me off

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #18440
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Scorpion, nice to see you out and about. Where's the Lil' Rascal?

Mark, nice ride report. Sorry your maiden voyage to Baja didn't work out. At least your bike is getting taken care of. They should throw in another one of those special washes since your such a good customer.

I think if I ever go to Baja, I want Javier along. I just don't want to have to try to ride with him.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #18441
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled
Size matters.

...definitely size of equipment is something to consider. For bedtime Inside the tent Personally I use a Big Agnes...

WW
Wally might need some moderating.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #18442
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Walmart.com also has a bit better deal and no membership required.

WW

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #18443
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
Fuck Walmart.

Nothing personal, of course.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #18444
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Size matters.

I'm not a fan of bivies but definitely size of equipment is something to consider. For bedtime Inside the tent Personally I use a Big Agnes Park model down sleeping bag. Much more roomy than a mummy bag. Packs small because it's only insulated on top. A thin thermarest adds little volume.

As far as tents go, no poles, good volume and fast setup (claimed 15 seconds) makes the Nemo tents attractive. They pack small. As stated previously, I do not like bivies. Too cramped. No fun if stranded or staying a while. The 2 man Nemo is about as roomy as a three man tent by anyone else. Add to that the fact that you can set it up while inside the tent...think pissing down rain, and it's even more attractive. Plus the Company owner is an ADVer. A 2 man tent saves room too if traveling with a friend or significant other with whom you don't mind sharing living quarters. They aren't free standing so a couple of stakes are required or must be tied down. Other than that I see no drawbacks. They sell bivies too if you feel you must but for comfort's sake I wouldn't do
the bivie. Check them out at link below.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/airsupported-technology

WW
I have a nemo 2p and it's nice, but it packs considerably larger than the hennessey Rev's got. (I'm Jealous) Maybe double or even a bit more. 15 seconds setup is a joke, no F'n way. The stupid pump is one of the largest components.

When setup, it is VERY nice and has a lot of room inside. Yes, it def seems more like a 3 person tent of a lot of other Mfr's so I wish I'd opted for the solo. The stock compression sack sucks and I trashed it my first ride.

here's its compressed size:

Not a very good pic but blowed up it's here:

I am really interested in the hammock thing though. I figure with a hammock and a underquilt you are about the same size as a tent?? When I used a hammock @ Kennedy meadows I froze my ass off in 55 degree weather. I had a 0 Degree big agnes (one sided though) bag... Maybe a decent pad and bag would be more doable
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #18445
Windrat
just a poser

It's a big plus having Javier helping us we'er lucky to have him around

Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #18446
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Fuck Walmart.

You don't like WallyWhirled?

Costco is somehow better?

I'd Definitely rather buy from the little guy but not for twice the cost. Times are tough. Toys are expensive. Save some money here, buy another toy there.

WW
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #18447
Windrat
just a poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Fuck Walmart.

Go john go

got mine out of gpscity.com 200 bucks
now if I can just learn to use it
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #18448
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

What do you tie a hammock to if there are no trees or posts?

That's my biggest concern.

I think the 15 second Nemo setup is supposed to be for a bivie but lime I said, it's a claimed setup time.

WW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I have a nemo 2p and it's nice, but it packs considerably larger than the hennessey Rev's got. (I'm Jealous) Maybe double or even a bit more. 15 seconds setup is a joke, no F'n way. The stupid pump is one of the largest components.

When setup, it is VERY nice and has a lot of room inside. Yes, it def seems more like a 3 person tent of a lot of other Mfr's so I wish I'd opted for the solo. The stock compression sack sucks and I trashed it my first ride.

here's its compressed size:

Not a very good pic but blowed up it's here:

I am really interested in the hammock thing though. I figure with a hammock and a underquilt you are about the same size as a tent?? When I used a hammock @ Kennedy meadows I froze my ass off in 55 degree weather. I had a 0 Degree big agnes (one sided though) bag... Maybe a decent pad and bag would be more doable
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #18449
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
You don't like WallyWhirled?

Costco is somehow better?

I'd Definitely rather buy from the little guy but not for twice the cost. Times are tough. Toys are expensive. Save some money here, buy another toy there.

WW
Costco is no better I'm sure. Just another avenue for us to suck off some Chinese titty.

I do like going to Costco. I can't say the same about Walmart.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #18450
foul plug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat
Go john go

got mine out of gpscity.com 200 bucks
now if I can just learn to use it
check out "GPS made easy" (found it @ Marks fav place (REI)). best $12 spent on a book. EASY to read. open it to any page and you can start reading. very quickly shows ya all the features that will help ya get way more out of it.

YES, this is off topic of the thread (yes Joel, I know ) but who has time to wade through all the GPS threads.

anyhow, back to regular programming.

OH YA. Dave, glad to see ya up n about!
foul plug is offline   Reply With Quote