ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #20821
Jon F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I had a great time today. Big thanks to Sito for bringing and cooking hot dogs. What a great guy. I'm still struggling to figure out how we got separated on our way up to the top - I hope it didn't waste too much of your and Bob's time. Nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones as well. Can't wait for DV!

I think this means the 530 is officially broken-in.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #20822
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
hey guys.

I need to buy a ramp for my S.W.A.T/T.W.A.T. van and was hoping to get some opinions since all of you FF's are a bunch of trailer queens.
(except Biggie of course, No offense intended to you Eric. All the rest of you it's totally intended)

Cycle gear has el-cheapo one-piece one for $39. It has a max of 400#, the husky is 320 and change, but I do plan on getting something smaller.

Will I absolutely HATE this thing and end up buying a $200 ramp anyway? The Van is not that tall, so I'm thinking traction on the cheapo ramp shouldn't be that big a deal, but OTOH I am going to WA and so it might be muddy/wet.

Secondly, If I got one of the nicer foot-wide ladder style ones, what's the advantage of the Arched type?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #20823
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
If youre just going to load it once, then I'd find a steep driveway or curb

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #20824
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
we heard trailering bikes but TRAILERING A VAN....hmmm, that's a first one.....

i like my folding ramp, 8 foot extended...pricey, but it has a 600 # capacity.

you'll find some quality ramps used, and the price is reasonable. just have to be patient in your search.

good hunting.

p.s.

i like your van.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #20825
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
traveltoad: looks like a fun ride! Hopefully you didn't take the SE!! I need a 250 2t in Cali to join you guys on rides like that!

Nice pics of Rowher joel. Wes and I are headed there tomorrow for a short ride on my last day here.

We had a great day riding east camino cielo to the end today. Beautiful ride.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #20826
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
hey guys.

I need to buy a ramp for my S.W.A.T/T.W.A.T. van and was hoping to get some opinions since all of you FF's are a bunch of trailer queens.
(except Biggie of course, No offense intended to you Eric. All the rest of you it's totally intended)

Cycle gear has el-cheapo one-piece one for $39. It has a max of 400#, the husky is 320 and change, but I do plan on getting something smaller.

Will I absolutely HATE this thing and end up buying a $200 ramp anyway? The Van is not that tall, so I'm thinking traction on the cheapo ramp shouldn't be that big a deal, but OTOH I am going to WA and so it might be muddy/wet.

Secondly, If I got one of the nicer foot-wide ladder style ones, what's the advantage of the Arched type?

atvramps.com i got 2 folding ramps for my rhino for the price of less than 1 at any bike shop. the arch makes it steeper at the bottom so its easier to push into the truck from the ground. get the arched ones. if you find a cheaper place let me know.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #20827
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
atvramps.com i got 2 folding ramps for my rhino for the price of less than 1 at any bike shop. the arch makes it steeper at the bottom so its easier to push into the truck from the ground. get the arched ones. if you find a cheaper place let me know.
wow, thanks for the link they have lots of cool stuff pretty reasonably priced.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #20828
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
[QUOTE=traveltoad;15354704]The trail:

QUOTE]

I gotta get my truck fixed!
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #20829
schmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
hey guys.

That's a bitchin van! I am really diggin the Ford E350 I got a few months ago . . . really sweet set up for dirtbiking . . . that thing is the ultimate set up though. Very cool.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #20830
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 351
Top of rowher windy today. All the way up break and fall. Nice ride with countrydoc.

Wes

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #20831
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconrider View Post
Top of rowher windy today. All the way up break and fall. Nice ride with countrydoc.

Wes

have a good ride wes and cd, and post more pics....
Old 03-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #20832
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
Cool truck. If the door isn't much higher than a pickup, I have had good luck with one of the Harbor Freight tri-fold ladder ramps. Way easier than a tire-wide ramp especially if you don't have a helper to load.

Quote:
hey guys.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #20833
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Beautiful day! Here's me contemplating a pretty steep descent down "rowher 4x4" enroute to the Rock Inn. Don't think we will come back up this way!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #20834
msgtretired
the 'Sarge'

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Beautiful day! Here's me contemplating a pretty steep descent down "rowher 4x4" enroute to the Rock Inn. Don't think we will come back up this way!

dc
Going up that bad boy is way easier then going down it. fun trail. incidently, not too long ago, I was driving up the fire road in my pickup, made a wrong turn, and was heading up the worst torn up section. it was crazy. after barly makign through it going up, I turned around and came back down it. a bike is way easier. lol.
My Vimeo => http://vimeo.com/user2606435/videos
msgtretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #20835
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

i would think riding up is less harder than going down.

you guys are increadible....