ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #20866
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,522
hey guys, don't forget about the "RIDE FOR KIDS"

on Sunday April 17



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15381257
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #20867
Earl999
Studly Adventurer
 
Earl999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
let's wait for ti-d-bowl or biggiE to get the ball rolling. once i get a small bike running, i could go.
The cut off date for the lower entry fee is 4/1.

I'm thinking of riding my XRL, or picking up an EXC sooner than I planned.

What's wrong with the bike?
__________________
Honda XR650L (Dual Sport)
Honda CR250R (2 Smoke MX)
Honda CR500AF (Awesome machine!)
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #20868
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by el zorillo View Post
i'm 50/50 on doing it this year, but if i do, i'm going to ride the 950 adv.

i'm not kidding. i'm under the influence of riceless.


who the puck is el zorillo.............


what's the story behind that tom...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #20869
El Zorrillo
charity case
 
El Zorrillo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: SJC, CA
Oddometer: 737
just trading one really stupid screen name for one a little less stupid.

translate spanish to english to get the joke
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #20870
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by el zorillo View Post
just trading one really stupid screen name for one a little less stupid.

translate spanish to english to get the joke
So no more World Famous "ti-d-bowl"???
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #20871
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
So no more World Famous "ti-d-bowl"???

yeah, and if ti-d-bowl gets lucky in the dv raffle, winning the gps, lior mc service, and the 2 jimmy lewis class.....there won't be anyone to claim it...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #20872
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
yeah, and if ti-d-bowl gets lucky in the dv raffle, winning the gps, lior mc service, and the 2 jimmy lewis class.....there won't be anyone to claim it...
Right... Now all I have to do is change my nick to "ti-d-bowl"... Legendary nick...
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #20873
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Right... Now all I have to do is change my nick to "ti-d-bowl"... Legendary nick...

no luck needed, you can also eat ti-d-bowl's fri and sat night dinner....

maybe even the t-shirt.



folks, another good event on june 9 - 12

http://www.advrider.com/forums/newre...ply&p=15384116


flying monkey
www.flyingmonkeyadventurerally.com
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #20874
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999 View Post
The cut off date for the lower entry fee is 4/1.

I'm thinking of riding my XRL, or picking up an EXC sooner than I planned.

What's wrong with the bike?

the gas is spilling when the bike is on side stand. i took the carb apart and set the float height to the fcr 39 spec = 9 mm.

also some tak, tak, tak noise coming from the head. i have to check the valve clearance and the decompression cam.

earl, if you got nothing to do this weekend, i can give you my addy.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #20875
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,660
Lots of guys run the float level a little lower than spec in our EXC's because of that issue. The EXC leans over quite a bit on the sidestand and the factory fuel level in the float bowl is (or so I've read) often just a bit high.

Ensure though that the float needle is actually shutting off the flow of fuel when the float is raised. Typically I ignore the "measured" float height spec as I find it impossible to reproduce, so I just set the float height on all my carb'd bikes by hooking them up to fuel when the carb is out of the bike, (usually with the tank just sitting on my bench), and setting the fuel flow to shut off when the float seams are parallel to the carb body. Just push it up and down with your finger and adjust until you get the right shut-off position.

Sometimes bits of grit and shite can get stuck in between the needle and needle seat and cause fuel to flow even when the floats are high - usually emptying the bowl and letting clean gas flow for a few seconds flushes this out.

Hope that helps, you probably have tried all of the above however!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #20876
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Lots of guys run the float level a little lower than spec in our EXC's because of that issue. The EXC leans over quite a bit on the sidestand and the factory fuel level in the float bowl is (or so I've read) often just a bit high.

Ensure though that the float needle is actually shutting off the flow of fuel when the float is raised. Typically I ignore the "measured" float height spec as I find it impossible to reproduce, so I just set the float height on all my carb'd bikes by hooking them up to fuel when the carb is out of the bike, (usually with the tank just sitting on my bench), and setting the fuel flow to shut off when the float seams are parallel to the carb body. Just push it up and down with your finger and adjust until you get the right shut-off position.

Sometimes bits of grit and shite can get stuck in between the needle and needle seat and cause fuel to flow even when the floats are high - usually emptying the bowl and letting clean gas flow for a few seconds flushes this out.

Hope that helps, you probably have tried all of the above however!

dc

thanks doc. yeah, there are some shit in the drain bowl and line. inspected the rubber tip of the needle with a magnifying glass, it's good. blew the screen with compressed air. the float hight is way tooooooo high. didn't try your method, wish i did, but used a caliper and set it to spec. i agree, it's pretty tricky.

the valve clearance was .006 - .007. good thing i google it and found that there's a tech bulletin on the 2003 exc. though the book calls out .006, the correct clearance is .005. i wonder if .001 will really make a difference.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #20877
dunerat
WTF?
 
dunerat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: DRINKIN FROM THE CUP
Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
thanks doc. yeah, there are some shit in the drain bowl and line. inspected the rubber tip of the needle with a magnifying glass, it's good. blew the screen with compressed air. the float hight is way tooooooo high. didn't try your method, wish i did, but used a caliper and set it to spec. i agree, it's pretty tricky.

the valve clearance was .006 - .007. good thing i google it and found that there's a tech bulletin on the 2003 exc. though the book calls out .006, the correct clearance is .005. i wonder if .001 will really make a difference.
If your idle is to low the auto decompress feature is known to make some disturbing noises(KLANK!)speshly when cold....careful not to overtighten ur valaves, loose noisy tight deadly
__________________
GO KINGS!!!!(Edit:2 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPION KINGS) 00'KX500 (dune wrecker)08'SE ,06'EXC,02'YZF/W,76'04'H-D
92 YJ extreem ,76 CJ 5 sand beast ,07 JK cruiser
dunerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #20878
Earl999
Studly Adventurer
 
Earl999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
thanks doc. yeah, there are some shit in the drain bowl and line. inspected the rubber tip of the needle with a magnifying glass, it's good. blew the screen with compressed air. the float hight is way tooooooo high. didn't try your method, wish i did, but used a caliper and set it to spec. i agree, it's pretty tricky.

the valve clearance was .006 - .007. good thing i google it and found that there's a tech bulletin on the 2003 exc. though the book calls out .006, the correct clearance is .005. i wonder if .001 will really make a difference.
Also check your air filter and carb boots/clamps for a good seal!

Wow, I figured you had the valves specs, it's .005" for both I & E valves.

If you don't have an .005" feeler, you can use the tips of the lock nut points as a guide, point to point is .005".

Unfortunately, I have lots of plans for this w/e, rides, BDay party, etc.
__________________
Honda XR650L (Dual Sport)
Honda CR250R (2 Smoke MX)
Honda CR500AF (Awesome machine!)
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #20879
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot
 
rinconrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA (Long Lost Canadian)
Oddometer: 351
Last weekend CountryDoc flew down from his snow-covered house in Canada to ride his 'california bike' (stationed year-round at my house in Pasadena), a DR350SE that was once again up at javier's getting work done on it.

Here are a few pics from our adventures:



Trailside repairs! First CD went for a little ride with javier.... which in turn fried his clutch, so he spent a whole day trying to track down springs, steel and friction plates for a 95 DR350 in one day notice in L.A. It was not an easy task. 3 dealers, one Trailtricks mechanic and 160 miles later the mighty DR was going under its own power once again!



WOE to all clutches who ride with javier.



Bikes, in a truck? What a novel idea. We had never done this before, usually mercilessly slabbing our little 250 and 350 on miles of freeway, ripping off knobs and crushing glutes for hours. This time, a rented F150 was in order. We headed up to Los Padres National Forest to return to some single track north of Carrizo that we had found previously. After being schooled on the concept of an 'Adventure Pass' and saved from a ticket by some particularly generous riders with a spare day pass at the Navajo Flats Staging Area, we were finally riding.



Dark, tractable trails for miles up there. Rocks, dirt, some mud and sand. Really great riding. I'd rather ride there than the desert, but that's just me.



Javier suggested Pirelli MT43 out back. They took a bit to get used to on the pavement but were superb. They have magnets in them that look for rock and immediately stick to. I found when they broke loose on the road there would be little warning but they were easily controllable once you knew where that point was.



Who's thirsty?



I believe most of you know where this is. A better sight than last time, when we arrived on a Thursday to find the Pozo Saloon is not open during the week - usually.



Foreshadowing.



This led to...



This, led to...



This!!!

The story will never be told...



Then more riding. Some nice hillclimbs and UPs with steps,



Followed by the inevitable DOWN.



And on and on, back to the truck and a hotel in San Luis Obispo.

Day 2 to follow...
__________________

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #20880
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot
 
rinconrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA (Long Lost Canadian)
Oddometer: 351
Day 2 found us leaving San Luis Obispo, bound for East Camino Cielo above Santa Barbara.

If you have never ridden this road, I consider it one of the best ridge roads within shot of L.A. There is all sorts of stuff up there, a couple of tricky spots, miles of fun supermoto riding to be had in the gravel and dirt before the rocky up and down section. It's one of the best rides. It's a road with a dead end so you get to do it all twice too.



You can see the road stretch on and on.



Santa Barbara is down there. It was cool but not cold, perfect for an active ride.



This doesn't appear so, but it's a steep uphill. I got a bit stuck in a rut at the bottom on a turn.



Here I am spinning that stick trials tire on a rock as my skid plate was up against another larger rock.



This is the shot from that place up, where I was waiting for CD after freeing myself and riding back up to his bike (he came down to help).

Alas, we didn't quite have time to reach the end since we had to rip off to Anaheim in OC to watch our hometown team, the Vancouver Canucks, continue to dominate the NHL...



We ripped back and missed the first 5 minutes of the game, however Vancouver shut out Anaheim 3-0 in a game that had more blue Canucks jerseys showing than any away game should! (Apparently 11 bus-loads of rabid fans came down in an organized group from Vancouver.)

Day 3 coming up.
__________________

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014