ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #21856
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,820
more pics from mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Nice to ride with some old and new friends on saturday
Also good to get out on the big KTM
Its been too long... love that bike

Okay, everybody sing along
"~~ I'm a little tea pot ... ~~"

Just to be fair... Here's a more 'dignified' one

After lunch in Blue Jay, I headed back via some obscure roads above Silverwood.
Dark and green and still some wet.

Went 4-wheelin' with wife914 up in the same area on sunday. Steady rain on the front side of the mtns when we left, sprinkles as we headed up the back side from Hesperia, cold and windy around Holcomb Valley, blizzard conditions as we had lunch in Fawnskin, super dense fog on RotW. Hope all the ADV campers got home safe.

-M
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #21857
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

after we unloaded our gear and set up the tents, luv2race suggested that we check out the pygmy cabin

i love that dv sticker....

lots of history in this place

adv tourists....

view from inside the cabin

pretty old tree battered by the elements

awesome meadow and a beautiful day
Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #21858
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyd View Post
Hi,

I am in LA for business next week so I decided to add the weekend and Memorial Day to the trip and do some riding in the California back country. I am picking up a KLR 650 on Friday afternoon and am planning to go thru the High Sierra region/Death Valley up to the Bay Area, then return to LA on Monday on pavement (Highway 1) to pickup an evening flight back to NYC.
I'd really appreciate good suggestion/must do roads from the local inmates, or if there's a ride pepole are going on that one could join, even better!
I'm more interested in scenery than technical riding since there is quite a bit of distance I will have to cover.
Looking forward to responses!

Classy D.

hi CD, there are a few ways you can ride up north on dirt/pavement combo. what's your skill level and fuel range so someone can point out an appropriate route for you. do you have 2 days to ride up, 1 day in sf and 1 day to ride home as you mentioned.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #21859
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
so we were running a little late, we work till 3 am. when i pulled up to mickey D's the ffs were just leaving so i waited another 20 minutes for my buddy and told sito we would catch up. while waiting a lone rider on an xr pulled in. his name was jammin and he asked if he could tag along.

sito told me they were going to the silverwood damn then up the hill from there, so i said we would catch up later. when the 3 of us arrived at the damn, we aired down and went up the hill. we came upon about 10 rovers and took the little bypass trail around them. looked like they were taking the hard short cut straight up to the top. so i guess in the middle of those guys the rest of the ffs were waiting to go around. thats where we missed you guys im guessing. we rode up through arrowhead, crossed 173 by the gun range and proceded to my folks place for a nice cold one and to burn one

after that we took the highway to green valley and i was starting to excited about that water crossing. turns out they bulldozed it to let it drain better.
we pulled into holcomb campground, said hi to brian then we took 18 down to the desert. hung a right on camp rock road, crossed 247 then a random left towards a dry lake. my buddy rick was going to ride to apple valley to meet his chick who dropped him off at mcd's.

jammin and i continued towards hesperia, hitting "sitos" sand wash. it was so windy and straight on that i could only hit 45 wfo in 4th. it wouldnt pull 5th! guess its time for the jetting, pipe and airbox mod for my dr. we then tried some nice single track along the tracks but came to a dead end. we rode the 138 twisties back to mc'ds. 155 miles. and we rode fast. jammin kept up just fine on the xr as i never had to slow down once and wait for him. the xr did take a nap but it was because jammin was going to slow in that section. this was actually one of the better rides ive been on.

heres a little vid, nap and all

so heres a vid
Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #21860
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

very nice sean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
after that we took the highway to green valley and i was starting to excited about that water crossing. turns out they bulldozed it to let it drain better.
yeah, i didn't recognize it when we got there.....
Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #21861
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

after checking out the pygmy cabin, the 4 of us continued east to see baldwin mine. then, we will meet the rest again for dinner at the azteca on big bear blvd.

still plenty of water on the road; m1heap took the short but deeper section

fyyp was getting good in water crossing....

must have rain here this morning or the day before

not the mine kids, it's the waste disposal site.....

the abandoned mine

rode back to big bear and we met l2r, sopascat and francis at the azteca for dinner. here was the place where barbie blended in....

this is the 4th time we've been in this restaurant; never dissapointed us!

my fish taco.....

back to camp, l2r and francis had a surprise birthday cake for cathy

john brought plenty of firewood and beer, brian (collinsb) came over and we all had a nice time around the fire pit. wish we could stayed out longer but everyone was tired. i ended up going to bed around 10pm not knowing a storm is upon us and there will be snow in the morning...

sunday rr next....
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #21862
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

sunday rr next....
I know what is coming, so before Joel post the Sunday RR pics I have to tell you guys that it was an organized evil operation by Joel and Matt against me... Just remember that...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 05:34 PM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #21863
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyd View Post
Hi,

I am in LA for business next week so I decided to add the weekend and Memorial Day to the trip and do some riding in the California back country. I am picking up a KLR 650 on Friday afternoon and am planning to go thru the High Sierra region/Death Valley up to the Bay Area, then return to LA on Monday on pavement (Highway 1) to pickup an evening flight back to NYC.
I'd really appreciate good suggestion/must do roads from the local inmates, or if there's a ride pepole are going on that one could join, even better!
I'm more interested in scenery than technical riding since there is quite a bit of distance I will have to cover.
Looking forward to responses!

Classy D.
This might help with planning a trip to Death Valley. All suggestions are easy access: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=20

Be prepared, you will probably see temps as high as 100 in DV and maybe as low as freezing at higher elevations at night.

Some other sites to see:
Alabama Hills
Mono Lake
Bodie Ghost Town
Yosemite National Park

If you want to cross the Sierras, you will probably have to either go north to US50 or South to 178. Hwy 120 and 108 are still closed for the winter. You can check the caltrans site for road closures: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Have fun!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #21864
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Atta boy, Duy.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #21865
Marius356
back on Africa Twin!

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
wish i can help, i have a daytime job and won't be home till early evening. hopefully someone closer to san pedro can help you.

i'm not riding this coming weekend, but maybe someone can put together a big bike friendly ride.
Thanks. I guess monday is not the best time to ask that kind of favour...
The thing is i never had a bike with a chain (always driveshaft) and most likely will need some time to figure out how to clip the chain together and all the other greasy stuff that comes along (probably not a good idea to do in a parking lot :p )
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #21866
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius356 View Post
The thing is i never had a bike with a chain (always driveshaft) and most likely will need some time to figure out how to clip the chain together and all the other greasy stuff that comes along (probably not a good idea to do in a parking lot :p )

monday or anyday is a good day to ask for help. the ride report kinda dominated the thread and frankly, i don't think we have a wrench head from this community who lives near san pedro.

i h8 chains too, prefer driveshaft xcept there's no small and lighter dual sport bike that is shafted.

putting a new chain is really simple, just need the tool. make sure you have the correct number of links. if you're going bigger on the sprockets, you will need more links than what you have now. also make sure you have more than 1 set of links (clip type). one for the new chain and the other keep it as a spare. nothing worse to find out that your chain is too short; the long ones can always be shortened.

anyone out there who has a chain tool, please post up.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #21867
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk View Post
Atta boy, Duy.

marty, those were bits of shingles hanging from the roof edge....

aargh, that duy, i'll get him next time.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #21868
thunderdoggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius356 View Post

I'm about 80 miles from San Pedro, but I have all the tools and work shop space that you'll need. pm me if interested, and I'll give you directions
thunderdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #21869
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
just moved from san pedro in march
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #21870
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

sunday at about 3am, it snowed in camp. that was a good opportunity to find out which gear worked and didn't. snow was somehow better than rain since we didn't get wet.

pic of our camp. even the tents match our bikes....

packed up and ready to hit the trail. the plan is take the dirt to hesperia (nort side of big bear).

the ride down was difficult. aside from being cold, the snow flakes want to pierce through your skin, the face shield kept on fogging up, visibility is less than 50%. yes, another lesson learned in riding in wet weather. not all is bad cuz we got great traction.

then somewhere in the forest, we ran on to this jeep and the driver flagged us down. it was mat...

i can not say what happened here but the pic tells it all...

the teapot had something to say......

after saying goodbye to mat we move on.

this is the infamous sito's sand wash........that was unnerving but fun

see, it wasn't that hard maintaining a straight line

i made it to the top of the hill and noticed the guys stopped, so i zoomed in with my camera

miheap did good on this stretch

ersin eventually made it with feet looking for a solid ground.....

not exactly the end of the ride, but this was where the adventure officially ended. the rest is just pavement and eating at a chinese restaurant.

big thank you to all who came and shared the fun. this RR is meant to entertain you PPs and keep the ADVenture riding alive. go out and ride, meet other people and see different places. best of all, you will come home with wonderful memories.

tune in till next time and thanks for your time reading this thread.

NSFW screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 09:43 PM