ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #2206
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,715
nr parking lot pics

getting ready to continue 2nd half of the ride

final installment tomorrow....dang smugmug is slooooooooooooooooow!

NSFW screwed with this post 09-20-2008 at 08:11 PM
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #2207
Artboy57
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 690
Nice ride today, boys! You two guys had to be doing triple digits on Mil Portero. Sheesh! Weather, perfect. Other than a drop we didn't SEE, there was no carnage. As usual I ate dust in the dirt but actually kept up for a change! Speaking of DUST, that was the word of the day up at Carrizo, but I'm not complainin'! I believe Aaron (sp?) has some photos to add to the ones Toby took, and there's no darkness involved! Thanks guys, let's do 'er again soon.
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #2208
STU CAZZO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thumb

NICE REPORT JOEL!!

I'VE GOT TO GET A FRIDAY OFF WORK TO DO ONE OF THE THESE FULL MOONERS. MAYBE ON THE NEXT ONE!!
STU CAZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #2209
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,523
Friday OCTOBER 11th or 18th will be close to the full moon(which is on the 14th).

whadya say , Joel?
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #2210
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
That really looks like fun! Sleeping is a waste of time.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #2211
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Saturday 9/20 ride.

OK... I had to get up at like 6 o' god damned clock in the god damned morning. As I was leaving home, I realized I forgot my wallet. I went back home, and as I U-turned the bike, I dunno what happened but I just totally fell over! Not a great start to the day. I was already running late, then the entire HOUR I drove up north to the meeting place my GPS would not acquire a satellite. So as I was fiddlin with that, I missed the turn. Then I got in one of those situations where the on-ramp passes the place you want to go. Then my reserve light came on, as I was driving is circles in a not great neighborhood. Finally I got it sorted out and made it to the 7-11 at
At 7 god-damned thirty in the F'n morning. Obviously all you other FF's were to hung over from the full moon ride to get up that god-damned early. My first Saturday off in like forever, and I was gracious enough to allow you to bask in my magnificence, and only these two showed up! That's a fine how-do-you-do!

In this Pic, I caught artboy and rebarman both wanting a smaller, more capable GS, Like mine. Then we went to go get gas, but the exit was closed! So I ended up driving like 40 miles on reserve til we got gas. Not a great start to the day...

We hit the road, and went through litle tijunga cyn, I didn't get any pictures of that cuz I was trying not to die keeping up with an 1150 and a 1200. eventually we hit some straight bits and I got a picture of the other guys WAY out front.

We stopped for lunch at the 'screaming squlrrel.' I had a philly cheese squirrel, and the guys had cheese squirrel. Rebarman had a DOUBLE cheese squirrel, I don't know how he manages to keep his girlish figure. Must be the diet coke he drinks with his double cheese squirrel guess.

Then we hit some dirt, somewhere. I'm not a real good guide am I? Just another picture of me eating their dust.

Then we got "there." I have to say that even though the guys warned me that there is no there there, this is the worst there I've ever been too. I guess when you design Disneyland for work, this is your idea of a 'destination resort.'

I will admit It did have a lot of beach though, you could really work up a bitchin tan here...

Here's the bikes from best to worst. Tired of eating their dust, I did prove conclusively that white is the fastest color when I blew past them a little later.

"Gosh, I wish I had a little white bike instead of this lame-o gray awesome GS 1200" -Artman

Note how we graciously put our ADV stickers on the front where he could see 'em from his 1200.

I BLEW PAST both of them so I could get a picture of this kick ass yellow grate. You can sorta see them WAY off in the distance.

I know this looks like an ordinary cattle guard but it's actually a time machine.

rebarman hits warp speed on the time grate.

Here endeth my 1stride report. It was good fun, nice meeting you guys. The day turned out pretty good after all, I didn't fall over (again) and I didn't break anything cept a wire to my horn. I hope to see you again next week. Maybe some of you other FF's will show yer faces too since it's not the day after the full moon
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #2212
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
How do those lights work? Do tell...

Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #2213
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk
How do those lights work? Do tell...

they're very "BattleStar Gallactica"(the original).
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #2214
knlkern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR
they're very "BattleStar Gallactica"(the original).
It works OK for a home brewed helmet light..

I made it using a 12v 35w MR11 light and a Cylon trooper's skid lid
This runs off the bike power routed out of my rear fender pack.

The small flashlights alongside, dorcy xenon tactical type, were originally for backup in case of total lighting system failure but they're way brighter than the 35w so I use them when I feel the need for more lighting.
Though they dont make those anymore, I wish they did, as the alternitaves I've shopped for aren't nearly as bright.

I really want the HID setup that Trailtrick has on his ktm690e, now that lights up the trail!

Messiah had installed the same lights but in halogen version for this nite ride, those worked pretty darn well too!

Chris

knlkern screwed with this post 09-20-2008 at 11:03 PM
knlkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #2215
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
poor sito....bike damage i would estimate about $300-400
Oh that SUCKS! Tip overs are one thing...but getting bike damage really rots. Hope the damage isn't too bad Sito.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #2216
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
OK... I had to get up at like 6 o' god damned clock in the god damned morning. As I was leaving home, I realized I forgot my wallet. I went back home, and as I U-turned the bike, I dunno what happened but I just totally fell over! Not a great start to the day. I was already running late, then the entire HOUR I drove up north to the meeting place my GPS would not acquire a satellite. So as I was fiddlin with that, I missed the turn. Then I got in one of those situations where the on-ramp passes the place you want to go. Then my reserve light came on, as I was driving is circles in a not great neighborhood. Finally I got it sorted out and made it to the 7-11 at
At 7 god-damned thirty in the F'n morning. Obviously all you other FF's were to hung over from the full moon ride to get up that god-damned early. My first Saturday off in like forever, and I was gracious enough to allow you to bask in my magnificence, and only these two showed up! That's a fine how-do-you-do!

In this Pic, I caught artboy and rebarman both wanting a smaller, more capable GS, Like mine. Then we went to go get gas, but the exit was closed! So I ended up driving like 40 miles on reserve til we got gas. Not a great start to the day...

We hit the road, and went through litle tijunga cyn, I didn't get any pictures of that cuz I was trying not to die keeping up with an 1150 and a 1200. eventually we hit some straight bits and I got a picture of the other guys WAY out front.

We stopped for lunch at the 'screaming squlrrel.' I had a philly cheese squirrel, and the guys had cheese squirrel. Rebarman had a DOUBLE cheese squirrel, I don't know how he manages to keep his girlish figure. Must be the diet coke he drinks with his double cheese squirrel guess.

Then we hit some dirt, somewhere. I'm not a real good guide am I? Just another picture of me eating their dust.

Then we got "there." I have to say that even though the guys warned me that there is no there there, this is the worst there I've ever been too. I guess when you design Disneyland for work, this is your idea of a 'destination resort.'

I will admit It did have a lot of beach though, you could really work up a bitchin tan here...

Here's the bikes from best to worst. Tired of eating their dust, I did prove conclusively that white is the fastest color when I blew past them a little later.

"Gosh, I wish I had a little white bike instead of this lame-o gray awesome GS 1200" -Artman

Note how we graciously put our ADV stickers on the front where he could see 'em from his 1200.

I BLEW PAST both of them so I could get a picture of this kick ass yellow grate. You can sorta see them WAY off in the distance.

I know this looks like an ordinary cattle guard but it's actually a time machine.

rebarman hits warp speed on the time grate.

Here endeth my 1stride report. It was good fun, nice meeting you guys. The day turned out pretty good after all, I didn't fall over (again) and I didn't break anything cept a wire to my horn. I hope to see you again next week. Maybe some of you other FF's will show yer faces too since it's not the day after the full moon

xymo, good report and pics......i'm glad to see another rider who brings a camera and put it to use . thanks for finding the time to share.

you're unlike the rest of the ffs , all they do then after the ride , and for rr and pics....think it was my fault for getting them beyond spoiled....
Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #2217
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlkern
It works OK for a home brewed helmet light..

I made it using a 12v 35w MR11 light and a Cylon trooper's skid lid
This runs off the bike power routed out of my rear fender pack.

The small flashlights alongside, dorcy xenon tactical type, were originally for backup in case of total lighting system failure but they're way brighter than the 35w so I use them when I feel the need for more lighting.
Though they dont make those anymore, I wish they did, as the alternitaves I've shopped for aren't nearly as bright.

I really want the HID setup that Trailtrick has on his ktm690e, now that lights up the trail!

Messiah had installed the same lights but in halogen version for this nite ride, those worked pretty darn well too!

Chris

here's one when it's powered on....chris that's far better than what i have on my xr400

Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #2218
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

wzl and sito's trails

when we got to afh from millcreek, the masiah peeled off since he has to work the next morning. we were down to 6 and took aliso to get on wzl trail.

my first ride on wzl trail and i was impressed. it's short but tough, lots of ruts, littered with rocks, crumbling uphills, and it was dark.

hey, don aka wzltech...... me like it!

m1 on wzl

after wzl, back to aliso and we hauled ass on the groomed dirt road to the mines. by the time i got to the junction, i saw chris attacked the hill, and i took a picture

in daylight, you will see this (pic from previous ride)...not easy as it looks, this brotha failed on his 1st attempt , is that a SE?

no doubt.....sito did this hill many times and this was one of them

ok, after chris got to the top, sito went for hit.............

yes folks, that is a 950 headlight and tail light looking sideway

in pitch black darkness, all we could hear is sito shouting for help

razr immediately jumped off his bike and ran up the hill, damn you charles...you should have taken my camera with you

not sure what they were doing, but looks they turned the bike around while still on its side. all i can see is the headlight is still horizontal

after several minutes or more, i see it's vertical now

ben and i went up too, but we were just slow and didn't get the close up look.

i'm glad sito was ok and the bike was running...otherwise it's going to be a loooooooong night for us

not sure if that's a smile? or

ok here's the damage

bent rim....$300

torn seat cover....$70

bent brake lever.....no cost, fixable

torn adv sticker.....timeless classic...irreplaceable , just gave that to sito at the bottom of lynx

i have no wish for this to happen, neither find it entertaining....but wtf, the blood thirsty inmates love to see carnage....

this leaves artboy as the title holder for having no slip ups! , come on chris, get over with, just drop the bike and take a pic.....
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #2219
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Final Installment

we took a longer break to make sure sito's bike is safe to ride home and for me to see that i didn't miss any more important pics

also at this point, we decided to cut the ride short and finish sito's trail, do the water crossing, and head out to aliso

water crossing.....razr's turn

it's ben no doubt

made it to aliso, and that's the pavement

m1 happy to do the ride with us

airing up before hitting the 20 miles of twisty pavement.

thanks again to all the ffs who came and rode, including to those who showed up for dinner....it was another blast, and the full moon ride will remain in our regular rides.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #2220
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,518
What Help! I had to turn and lift that pig all by myself in the sand on a hill! And for the record I never cried for help. (I was too tired!).
I ready don't know what happen? The Hill was pretty soft deep sand and my back tire is toast! All I remember is getting shaky start hitting the gas and feeling the back end going sideways. Then I remember the bike going one way and me going the other, then my ass hitting the ground and rolling back down the hill. (ouch!) For my 1st real big off I think me and the bike did ok. New rim and a renosco (spelling) seat and I'll be good as new. Hope I can get it all done before Death Valley in Nov!

Sorry my story is not as exciting as running into a huge yellow bus heading at me at 5 mph.

Even with the crash I had a great time I love the night rides!