ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #22186
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
This is Great Grand Canyon trip and RR. I am sooooo jealous and I'll never forgive my GF for that weekend...
You have to promise to do this again Joel.

fyyf, i'm already planning to do a redux next year in may. though small bikes are fun, lots of long stretches of groomed dirt where the big bikes will rule. all the trails i did, you can do them on your 990 with camping gear.

but due to the limited camping area, we will limit it to less than 20 riders. whenever entering the park boundary, split the group into smaller sizes so we don't get the attention of officer todd.

in addition, we will extend the riding to north of the grand canyon into southern utah. 5 days minimum.

do you have pics of your gf? .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950 View Post
That looks so fun!

brent, if you were there, you will wish you're riding the mighty 950.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #22187
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

monday mid morning temperature

the plan is to ride north towards colorado city and explore; we split into 2 groups. cathy, tim, and randy headed back home; while jim, duy, and i decided to go to southern utah.

lots of this

long stretches of smooth dirt

duy's elbow are now in the right place....

jim spotted cows ahead and stopped far enough so we don't spook them

duy on the attack mode

see those mountain, that's utah and that's where we want to go

we did 4 states - coming from ca, then to nv, and to az, finally now in ut....

nice red dirt

this place is rich in colors and textures

i'm really grateful that jim and duy took another day off to do this one

we met again the adv rider on the klr

him and his bud; i told them to check out the l.a. weekend thread to see their pics, and i hope they do

eventually we came out to this steel bridge, don't remember the town's name

they have a small town, but big in patriotism....

then somewhere along the way, we rode by this outpost....

riding along with 2 folks from canada

more later.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #22188
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
fyyf, i'm already planning to do a redux next year in may. though small bikes are fun, lots of long stretches of groomed dirt where the big bikes will rule. all the trails i did, you can do them on your 990 with camping gear.

but due to the limited camping area, we will limit it to less than 20 riders. whenever entering the park boundary, split the group into smaller sizes so we don't get the attention of officer todd.

Ahem, Joel my friend. Did not uncle Todd U.S.F.S. guardian of the Grand Canyon Toroweap area teach you anything?

You are LIMITED to 2 vehicles per campsite.... A motorcycle is a vehicle just like a F'n Greyhound bus that seats 50 people...

You can have 6 people per campsite. We had 2 campsites in the end. We had 6 motorcycles and 1 truck, necessitating 4 campsites. I asked if we could park a bike up at the trailhead (Probably pissed him off since I was trying to find a way to work with him....) He also stated they were trying to keep the "road traffic" to a minimum. How many riders and jeepers came down the road to find a full campground did we see? I asked how limiting campsites to 2 vehicles minimized "road traffic".... (Hey, at my age I can discuss illogical rules can't I?) His response was there was an "open statement period coming that we can post our concerns." I looked for this, but so far can not find.

The Toroweap campground cannot handle more than 18 vehicles and 54 people in the first come/served campsites. The group camp (reserved) adds 4 more vehicles and 11 people.

The problem is we ride one person per vehicle. DV allows us to fudge on the vehicle number. Officer Dangle does not...

He also added that "since we knew and travelled together we could not use up all the campsites"

I found it strange that he came and chatted then left and came back with the eviction notice. He was standing on the bench to get radio reception for a weather report, so he was trying to be helpful. We weren't being confrontational just trying to work with him since the campground was now almost empty.

So I guess we are camping on BLM land (a ranger visited us there too) and just visiting the Grand Canyon.

HERE ARE THE OFFICIAL RULES WE BROKE:

Campground: Camping is allowed only in the Tuweep Campground within the Toroweap/Tuweep vicinity. Nine primitive sites (sites 1-9) for up to six people and two vehicles are available on a first-come, first-served basis. (below) Camping is free. Sites may fill during spring months and during holidays and weekends. Picnic tables, fie grates, and composting toilets are provided. Bring your own water and firewood. Collecting firewood or kindling from the national park is strictly prohibited.

One group site (Site 10) for 7–11 people and up to four vehicles is available via reservation only up until noon the day it is needed. The group site may be reserved, free of charge, up to four months in advance Submit an email request here.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #22189
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

That was Rockville, UT

spafxer screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 07:10 PM
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #22190
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

jim, i'm not planning to camp in todd's jurisdiction. thinking of the same spot where we camped last sunday or other parts of the blm land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
That was Colorado City, AZ

it gotta be in ut, this bridge is miles past the auto supply at the boundary.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #22191
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

it gotta be in Rockville, UT, this bridge is miles past the auto supply at the boundary.

Fixed
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #22192
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

lunch in hurricane; best "home made" food in town...

you won't believe it, but that's a hamburger.....
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #22193
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains;
[URL="http://h8c.smugmug.com/Other/110528-North-RIm-Grand-Canyon/17195795_dcLvcc#1316742683_TJ349BG"
[/URL] more later.
Colorado City, AZ /Hildale, UT as you guys already know is a Mormon Fundamentalist enclave... home to several FLDS sects...

Notice the large home in the middle right. That would be some livin' quarters for BIG LOVE...

Why is it right on the border between AZ and Utah you ask? Simple: 1 Town gets to suck up funds from 2 states at the same time....

Sure is perty though.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #22194
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
anyone no the phone number for ponderosa lodge by nelson camp ??
i want to ride there saturday and spend the night there

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #22195
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
anyone no the phone number for ponderosa lodge by nelson camp ??
i want to ride there saturday and spend the night there
56692 Aspen Drive
Springville, CA 93265-9436
(559) 542-2579

This what you're looking for? In Sequoia right?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #22196
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

monday afternoon - evening

after lunch, we jumped on the highway. another 950 rider tagged along and gave us the...

got off the highway and into dixie national forest

we climbed up to some high elevation

around 6,800 feet here in this camp

avoiding another run-in with the authorities, we chose to stay in the group camp site even though there were 3 of us

shieet, when was the last time you saw a $5 camping fee per SITE?

perfect spot for my sleeping bag and dozed off a little bit while the guys went up hiking

the campground was ridiculously quiet and nothing to do but start a campfire. we sat there, kept ourselves warm and watch the fire

hours went by and nothing has changed except it got darker.....

we were like the primitive men, when fire is the only form of social entertainment.....

we eventually went to bed before 10pm

there were bears in the area, and jim was unaware that i put the food next to his bed.....

it was a cold night, didn't have a tent, and my sleeping bag didn't hold up. it was good i brought a sweater and vest.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #22197
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:

Duy, are you carrying fuel on your rear fender How much fuel did the tanker carry on this trip?

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #22198
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

tuesday morning temp in camp

riding out on our way home

24 miles of dirt to st. george

what a beauty

not much water left

it got warmer, stopped and took off our jacket liners

just a few miles to st. george

oh yeah....

after lunch, waiting our turn to jump on the 15s

back to az

virgin river gorge

temp as we approach mesquite

the ride for jim and i ended in mesqute where the support truck was parked.

meanwhile, duy rode the klr for the next 350 miles

randy, duy, and cathy....you guys are the pure ADV riders and should be proud of what you accomplished last weekend and logged in about 1K miles.

randy (vstrom), duy (klr), and tim (xchallenge) rode different mules and had everything they needed (almost) and could have made the entire trip without a support vehicle.

i am glad to see that in this thread that the adventure spirit is very much alive. thanks to everyone for the great and memorable weekend....

i tried to make the rr with lots of details, hoping those who didn't make it, you guys were able to put yourselves in the pictures and enjoyed the ride.

folks, feel free to comment; duy and randy, now it's your turn to post your pics....
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #22199
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Were the bugs bad enough that you needed tents? I do enjoy sleeping under the stars.

bob, our 1st night we were hit hard with gusty wind with sand. wish i was in the tent. the 2nd night wasn't bad, and i enjoyed staring at the stars and looking for the fast moving sattelites. 3rd night was ok, just wish i have a warmer bag.

don't know about the rest, but i heard there were bugs and some got bitten on the legs.

get your steed and camping gear ready, we can plan another overnight camping in the local mountains when the nightime temperature here in l.a. gets hot.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #22200
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
randy (vstrom), duy (klr), and tim (xchallenge) rode different mules and had everything they needed (almost) and could have made the entire trip without a support vehicle.

i am glad to see that in this thread that the adventure spirit is very much alive. thanks to everyone for the great and memorable weekend....
About all we needed the truck for was bringing in firewood, lots of water, and stuff to sit on at the less developed camping site.

Joel - next time stay at Bar 10 and not worry about carting all of the wood and perishable food in. Even their gas at $8/gallon is cheaper than 3 tankfulls in your truck to get the gas out to us. With the proper planning, you could end up riding through civilization, eat dinner there, then ride to where you're camping.

Overall, it was a fun trip.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote