ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #22201
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
[QUOTE=h8chains;16069657]fyyf, i'm already planning to do a redux next year in may. though small bikes are fun, lots of long stretches of groomed dirt where the big bikes will rule. all the trails i did, you can do them on your 990 with camping gear.

but due to the limited camping area, we will limit it to less than 20 riders. whenever entering the park boundary, split the group into smaller sizes so we don't get the attention of officer todd.

in addition, we will extend the riding to north of the grand canyon into southern utah. 5 days minimum.

snip...QUOTE]

Please add me to that list. Geomoto is in Hurricane, UT as well so let him know. See you probably at WMRS and we can chat further.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #22202
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
bob, our 1st night we were hit hard with gusty wind with sand. wish i was in the tent. the 2nd night wasn't bad, and i enjoyed staring at the stars and looking for the fast moving sattelites. 3rd night was ok, just wish i have a warmer bag.

don't know about the rest, but i heard there were bugs and some got bitten on the legs.

get your steed and camping gear ready, we can plan another overnight camping in the local mountains when the nightime temperature here in l.a. gets hot.
I did some camping off the bike going c2c. I think I have the stuff dialed in. I had 30+ mph winds at Big Springs Texas. I didn't set up the tent, because I hate listening to it whip all night long.

I have five separate bags that I use for varying temperatures.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #22203
MojaveSidecar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
tuesday morning temp in camp

temp as we approach mesquite

the ride for jim and i ended in mesqute where the support truck was parked.

meanwhile, duy rode the klr for the next 350 miles

randy, duy, and cathy....you guys are the pure ADV riders and should be proud of what you accomplished last weekend and logged in about 1K miles.

randy (vstrom), duy (klr), and tim (xchallenge) rode different mules and had everything they needed (almost) and could have made the entire trip without a support vehicle.

i am glad to see that in this thread that the adventure spirit is very much alive. thanks to everyone for the great and memorable weekend....

i tried to make the rr with lots of details, hoping those who didn't make it, you guys were able to put yourselves in the pictures and enjoyed the ride.

folks, feel free to comment; duy and randy, now it's your turn to post your pics....
Hi Joel

This looked like a fantastic ride... and I have some questions.

Do you have a general description of the route you took for us GPSless challenged guys? Im trying to see if I can plot/duplicate your route on Google Maps.

How did the roads compare in width/difficulty to the fireroad at Rohwer Flats that runs from staging area 1 to the oak tress oasis at the top of Rohwer?

Off topic... who made the art work/shirts for the noobs rally last march?

TIA

Randy from Burbank
MojaveSidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #22204
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
No tent for me the first night, no sleep either due to the sand blasting and high winds.

Quote:

last pic of our campsite

The second night I broke out the Emergency Bivy as it was much colder, then put my sleeping pad and sleeping bag inside it. That combination worked well to stop the wind and better insulate my 40 degree rated sleeping bag, aside from the bivy doesn't have a way to vent moisture, so I started to get wet due to "The shower from within" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I did some camping off the bike going c2c. I think I have the stuff dialed in. I had 30+ mph winds at Big Springs Texas. I didn't set up the tent, because I hate listening to it whip all night long.

I have five separate bags that I use for varying temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveSidecar View Post
Do you have a general description of the route you took for us GPSless challenged guys? Im trying to see if I can plot/duplicate your route on Google Maps.

How did the roads compare in width/difficulty to the fireroad at Rohwer Flats that runs from staging area 1 to the oak tress oasis at the top of Rohwer?
No need for a GPS here. All of the roads are well marked and you can find all of them on a map. Search for a post by Crawdaddy for his Bar 10 Ranch ride and I think he has links to the tracks and a map.

Aside from the route that Jim, Joel, and I took from Mesquite to CR5 and the route that Jim and I took to Bar 10 Ranch from Mt. Trumbull, these are wide and easy roads that are in better shape than any LA freeway.

The two alternate routes that I mentioned above were fun, but I would recommend traveling light, knobbies, ground clearance, and some OK dirt skills before taking them.

tbarstow screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 10:15 PM
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #22205
liorsmotoride
Lior's moto ride

Oddometer: 411
Nice trip guys I wish I could go with you
Next one Im In
Parts Unlimited dealer and lot more
liorsmotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #22206
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,277
[QUOTE=h8chains;16069657]fyyf, i'm already planning to do a redux next year in may. lots of long stretches of groomed dirt where the big bikes will rule. all the trails i did, you can do them on your 990 with camping gear.

in addition, we will extend the riding to north of the grand canyon into southern utah. 5 days minimum.

Been way too long since I've seen the big hole in the earth, not sure I can wait a whole year, but I'M IN Joel
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #22207
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,472
awesome ride guys. ride reports like this is why im addicted to this sight. whens the next overnighter? still need to camp off the bike for the first time!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #22208
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Terrific pictures and narration as usual, Joel. Looking @ your pix is like being there again - thanks!

now for my part of the RR:

I didn't have much time to pack so I grabbed my DV Noobs setup, swapped out the sleeping bag for my lighter summer bag, and hit the road around 10AM.

KLR's loaded down are SLOW and speed kills bears

I took I-15 to Henderson where I rode through Lake Mead and stopped in Callville Bay for a drink. Temps were climbing by the minute! Surprisingly, I found flowers blooming near by:

I finally make it to Mesquite just after 6pm to find Jim and Joel still loaded in the truck!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #22209
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Since Joel and co. have done such a good job with the photos, I'll just post a few for flavor

After meeting up with everyone in Mesquite, Randy, Cathy, and I along with Al and Selina in the support truck headed for St. George then transferred to dirt towards Toroweap. The plan was for the first group to reach the T to stack some rocks so the others knew we had passed. Seeing no "PP" rocks, Randy and I stacked our signal.

Cathy handled the V-Strom very well IMHO. I have no idea how much those things weigh but I'm guessing a bit more than my KLR:

We reached the school house along with the truck and ate a light lunch/snack since it was nearly noon:

What's left of the original school:

After the break, Randy and I took turns jumping head of the group to take pictures. Here's Randy on his Strom

Al totally scored when he got us the last campsite in Toroweap! After setting up camp, I took a look around and met the neighbors:

Go ahead and sleep without a tent ya FF's!

Jim, Cathy, and I walked down to the rim while Tim and Randy went back to rescue our fearless leader who broke a chain on the trail.

Randy shows up on the Strom. Picking the right line seems to be the key to riding these bikes.

Tim and Joel decide to join the party. Tim's got hisself a well deserved adult beverage

What the puck?

Yes, that's Joel taking a shower
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #22210
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:

do you have pics of your gf? .....
You know what Joel this is the second time you are asking for my girl friend's picture... Should I be concerned???

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #22211
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

After failing to secure our right to stay inside the campground and national park, we went for a hike:

Can you spot the ADV Ninja?

What this group is all about - helping each other find adventure:

A Japanese tourist we saw along the way. Oh wait, he looks a lot like...

Joel doing what he does best - recording memories:

Tim!

A very nice volunteer ranger and KLR rider talking to Al and Selina. This gentleman and I could have spent the rest of the day talking about KLR farkles

Cathy having a good time as close to the edge as she dares
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #22212
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

The next morning I found Joel in the middle of a fort made of coolers and water drums. Good thing the bears didn't come around

After we parted ways with the rest of the group, Jim, Joel, and I were on our own. We headed north on C-5 and waited for this herd of cows to pass:

I love this picture - two bikes, two GPS', and a map and we might be lost

Joel was riding the LC4e so hard, he nearly blew the end camp off the muffler:

After stopping for screws to put the muffler back together and more importantly to use the flushing toilets and running water @ an auto parts store, we hit another dirt road towards Zion:

Along the way, we met up with ADV Rider "Striker" on his KLR and a friend on a BMW.

After setting up camp at the Oak Grove campground in the Dixie National Forest, Jim started collecting firewood then we all joined the effort. Once we had enough, Jim demonstrated the Touratech method of fire starting :

Someone's happy with his handy work. Jim told us a story about a "friend" who was a bit of a fire bug. I wonder who that "friend" really was
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #22213
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post

After setting up camp at the Oak Grove campground in the Dixie National Forest, Jim started collecting firewood then we all joined the effort. Once we had enough, Jim demonstrated the Touratech method of fire starting :

[/IMG]
Is that a hand grenade or a molotolf-cocktail Jim is throwing in there???

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #22214
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

It was FREEZING cold that night. I put everything I brought on and was barely comfortable. An hour or so after sunrise, Joel's temp gauge showed 42F

Jim toying with a couple of young lovers:

Joel was still sawing logs:

Great minds think alike: Jim and I both love our Snow Peak Giga Power stoves:

Rise and shine :)

Joel planning our assault to the summit:

Packed up and nearly good to go:

Only chance I got to get out ahead if the PP and I had the camera in the wrong mode

After getting onto pavement, we ate breakfast at Denny's then hit the road for home. I didn't take any more pictures other than this one at the entrance of Lake Mead NRA:

Thanks for the memories
Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #22215
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
This gentleman and I could have spent the rest of the day talking about KLR farkles
Best color for a milk-crate. Square versus Rectangular milk Crate. My god the Metal, Plastic, or Glass-Reinforced nylon debate could take hours!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote