ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #22531
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Here is a 3 minute video of me chasing Joel. I guess I got too close and scared him with my loud Akros...
First thing he does as he gets up on his feet is to take his camera out and take pics. He is amazing...



bwahahaha..... nice vid ersin. i hurt my right knee and tweeked the right ankle on that fall. as a result, i could not walk sunday and yesterday have to call in SICK.

i was wearing cheap knee armor; the mx boots saved my ankle from breaking. feeling a little better know just have to limp along.

funny, thought i was riding fast enough but the video shows i was moving slow. i have problem feathering the throttle (full 1/4 turn) of the exc, it keeps on jerking and that caused me to lose balance and drop the bike. the solution is go faster since the bike doesn't like to be treated like a baby.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #22532
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer View Post
And now the view through my lens.


nice vid rich.... love the music too.

ersin's aux led lights are bright and flicker; that gets people's attention. wish i have some money to burn.....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #22533
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
bwahahaha..... nice vid ersin. i hurt my right knee and tweeked the right ankle on that fall. as a result, i could not walk sunday and yesterday have to call in SICK.

i was wearing cheap knee armor; the mx boots saved my ankle from breaking. feeling a little better know just have to limp along.

funny, thought i was riding fast enough but the video shows i was moving slow. i have problem feathering the throttle (full 1/4 turn) of the exc, it keeps on jerking and that caused me to lose balance and drop the bike. the solution is go faster since the bike doesn't like to be treated like a baby.
Joel, ATGATT works every time! hope you feel better soon...great vid Rich
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

pcvance screwed with this post 06-21-2011 at 12:44 PM
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #22534
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
bwahahaha..... nice vid ersin. i hurt my right knee and tweeked the right ankle on that fall. as a result, i could not walk sunday and yesterday have to call in SICK.

i was wearing cheap knee armor; the mx boots saved my ankle from breaking. feeling a little better know just have to limp along.

funny, thought i was riding fast enough but the video shows i was moving slow. i have problem feathering the throttle (full 1/4 turn) of the exc, it keeps on jerking and that caused me to lose balance and drop the bike. the solution is go faster since the bike doesn't like to be treated like a baby.
I am sorry to hear that Joel. I didn't know it was that serious. You looked OK. Sorry...
Hope you feel better ASAP.
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #22535
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
nice vid rich.... love the music too.

ersin's aux led lights are bright and flicker; that gets people's attention. wish i have some money to burn.....
I can sell you my 3 LED's at a discounted price Joel...
I got the 4 LED ones and I was too lazy to put them on.
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #22536
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Joel, ATGATT works every time! hope you feel better soon...
thanks, now shopping for a better knee protection. i was wearing the $40 special....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I am sorry to hear that Joel. I didn't know it was that serious. You looked OK. Sorry...
Hope you feel better ASAP.

i was limping afterwards (ersin, don't go to the race track, you can't tell if the horse is limping....), but starts swelling once i got home.

my gf was so upset since i can't go to the father's day brunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I can sell you my 3 LED's at a discounted price Joel...
I got the 4 LED ones and I was too lazy to put them on.

me like it if it will work on the 950 with a high fender. thanks.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #22537
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Here's a few more shots of the McIvers cabin ride.

Starting our way up. Great scenery.


And a link for more info about McIvers and the area.
http://www.geargrinders4wdclub.org/mciver.php

Thanks to all of the pucks for a fun day.

jeff, nice pics...

glad to see a group of off-road enthusiast adopted the trail and kept it the way it should be....tough...
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #22538
Earl999
Studly Adventurer
 
Earl999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
funny, thought i was riding fast enough but the video shows i was moving slow. i have problem feathering the throttle (full 1/4 turn) of the exc, it keeps on jerking and that caused me to lose balance and drop the bike. the solution is go faster since the bike doesn't like to be treated like a baby.
Another option is to use/slip the clutch to help modulate the jerkiness.
__________________
Honda XR650L (Dual Sport)
Honda CR250R (2 Smoke MX)
Honda CR500AF (Awesome machine!)
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #22539
Klammer
Old and Grumpy
 
Klammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
Oddometer: 2,282
Laugh

If I had a 530 exc the first thing I would do is install an auto clutch. Thats the best thing I've done to my 2t. Purfect clutch modulation all the time.
__________________
If it's got tits or tires,eventually,it's gonna give you trouble
RFBK videos http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post16352382
Rowher Flats Trail Krew (RFTK)
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #22540
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999 View Post
Another option is to use/slip the clutch to help modulate the jerkiness.
the bike is new to me (first day riding), not yet familiar with the 1/4 turn full throttle. i am thinking of putting the 640 throttle tube on the exc.

the exc is a 540 so the response is quicker and more difficult to modulate. i was too dumb not to know that the 540 is a beast. when lior rode that bike, he was amazed how much powerful that bike compared to his 530 exc. everytime i take off, it feels the rear tire could not get enough traction.

what i should have bought is a 450. the 540 is a wasted bike if i keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer View Post
If I had a 530 exc the first thing I would do is install an auto clutch. Thats the best thing I've done to my 2t. Purfect clutch modulation all the time.

thanks rich, you're the 2nd person who gave me the same advice. if the 640 throttle tube doesn't work, that will be my next choice (assuming i keep the bike).


once i get the electrified xr400 running, that will be my small bike.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #22541
Off Limits
Banned
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,266
It's always the slow crashes that get you. Seen my buddy tip over while parked, broken wrist, cast and all. Joel what ever happened to the plated Wr450?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #22542
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
It's always the slow crashes that get you. Seen my buddy tip over while parked, broken wrist, cast and all. Joel what ever happened to the plated Wr450?

the slow crash and the height of the fall...there was a ditch over a foot deep where i landed, worst of all and the sad truth, me no spring chicken anymore....

the owner of the wr450 went on vacation; will know when he gets back.

meantime, i'll try to finish up the xr400 this summer.

also what made it worse, i have to kickstart the exc with a bummed knee after i drained the battery. didn't realize that the cooling fan that i installed sucks up more juice than what the stator can produce. i have the big yuasa battery but it's meaningless if the stator output is limited. another option is to put a on-off switch to the headlight, so the juice goes to to the cooling fan and not drain the battery.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #22543
dunerat
WTF?
 
dunerat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: DRINKIN FROM THE CUP
Oddometer: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
the slow crash and the height of the fall...there was a ditch over a foot deep where i landed, worst of all and the sad truth, me no spring chicken anymore....

the owner of the wr450 went on vacation; will know when he gets back.

meantime, i'll try to finish up the xr400 this summer.

also what made it worse, i have to kickstart the exc with a bummed knee after i drained the battery. didn't realize that the cooling fan that i installed sucks up more juice than what the stator can produce. i have the big yuasa battery but it's meaningless if the stator output is limited. another option is to put a on-off switch to the headlight, so the juice goes to to the cooling fan and not drain the battery.
Trail tech stator will handle the light and fan at idle.stock sucks eggs, been flawless from the time I installed it Get better soon brudda
__________________
GO KINGS!!!!(Edit:2 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPION KINGS) 00'KX500 (dune wrecker)08'SE ,06'EXC,02'YZF/W,76'04'H-D
92 YJ extreem ,76 CJ 5 sand beast ,07 JK cruiser
dunerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #22544
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
the bike is new to me (first day riding), not yet familiar with the 1/4 turn full throttle. i am thinking of putting the 640 throttle tube on the exc.

the exc is a 540 so the response is quicker and more difficult to modulate. i was too dumb not to know that the 540 is a beast. when lior rode that bike, he was amazed how much powerful that bike compared to his 530 exc. everytime i take off, it feels the rear tire could not get enough traction.

what i should have bought is a 450. the 540 is a wasted bike if i keep it.




thanks rich, you're the 2nd person who gave me the same advice. if the 640 throttle tube doesn't work, that will be my next choice (assuming i keep the bike).


once i get the electrified xr400 running, that will be my small bike.
Joel, before you sell the 540, can I get a spin? I would to try the small KTM and see how they treat me.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #22545
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Trail tech stator will handle the light and fan at idle.stock sucks eggs, been flawless from the time I installed it Get better soon brudda
good advixe, but....

sheez, from a $3500 it is becomig a $5000 bike....and it's a 2003...

i will try putting a headlight switch and leave a small wattage parking light on.

knee i think is just bruised since i can move it now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Joel, before you sell the 540, can I get a spin? I would to try the small KTM and see how they treat me.

bob, if you can loop the xr with no problem, this one doesn't take much.


this is the only bike i ever owned that i can wheelie up to 3rd gear....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014