ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #22666
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
IN for Saturday, & IN & OUT

see you at 7.

you coming over to my house? if not, i can give your spot to someone.

jim, duy may not be there, but still bring sonya along....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #22667
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
I'm out this weekend although I'd love to be there with you guys. I've been on the road for 13 days (work) and am exhausted. 2 days in bed sound AWESOME right now.

I'm in for the July Nacimiento ride. Any of you FF's riding up? If trucking, what day are you heading out?

Also - I can't find dvking's post. Can someone post a link so I can see the details?

Fishyhead screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 08:17 AM
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #22668
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
I'm out this weekend although I'd love to be there with you guys. I've been on the road for 13 days (work) and am exhausted. 2 days in bed sound AWESOME right now.

I'm in for the July Nacimiento ride. Any of you FF's riding up? If trucking, what day are you heading out?

Also - I can't find dvking's post. Can someone post a link so I can see the details?

some reading for your weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735 View Post
Not sure of your direction and / or plans... but if it were me....

101 Fwy North Exit Jolon Road... take that west. Follow signs for the famed Ferguson Nacimento Road. That will take you through the Fort Hunter Liggett military base, be sure to have all the proper documents insurance, license, and reg. Once through the checkpoint you will be on the road over the mountains to the Pacific Coast. I would recommend stopping and seeing the Mission San Antonio while you are there, it is one of the Spanish Missions that dot the central coast. Ferguson Naciemento is s nice single lane well paved road. The views of the coast when you descend from the mountains are breathtaking. Below are some links to help you find more info on the area.... but once you are on the coast I would go south through Cambria.... Morro Bay .... and ultimately back to SLO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacimiento-Fergusson_Road

http://www.pashnit.com/ridemap/ridemap.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
If you do the Nacimiento Fergusson ride, prepare for up to a 40 degree temp difference today between the Paso Robles side and the ocean side. The fog could be quite dense right along the coast, with temps in the high 50's to low 60's, and in Paso at near 100. Layers!

If you wanted to add a little more to the loop.. and you haven't already taken off, here's my suggestion:

Start by riding up 101 over the Cuesta Grade from SLO and take the Hwy 58 turnoff to Santa Margarita. At the East end of town, turn right onto 58. 2 miles up 58 is a "Y". Take the right fork on West Pozo Road and follow it until you find Huer Huero Road that branches off to the right.
Huer Huero Road back to the intersection of Hwy 58. Make a left on 58 and follow it West to Hwy 229. Even though labeled a "Highway", 229 is little more than 1.5 lanes wide, very twisty and a local favorite.

229 through Creston to Hwy 41 and then West to Homestead road.
Homestead to Vineyard to Templeton.. then Stay on Vineyard to Adelaida Road.

Adelaida Road to G14 (AKA Nacimiento Lake Drive). G14 Becomes Interlake Road, but you make a left on it at the intersection of G19 near the Lake.
G14 takes you to Jolon Road which in turn takes you to Fort Hunter Ligget and across Nacie-Ferg. to the coast. Don't forget to have license/registration/proof of insurance handy to get across the base.

This is a loop I often take guys on that are visiting the area. Lots of scenery changes, very little slab and tons of fun!

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Just a quick update & thanks.

Did the ride up the 101 to PR, then west on g14, to Nacie-Ferg then on to 1 & south to SLO.

We did see the Mission, that was great! Glad you brought that to light. Don't know what i did but we never went through any 'main' gates of FHL. Never saw/got approached be any authorities. After we left the mission, went down the road about a mile, turned right and went over a cool grated bridge and continued on to NF Rd.

That ride had a number of personalities. The g14 was visually & rideability FANTASTIC. Just a beautiful sweep of asphalt. The Nacie Dam was spilling out of both overflow pipes.

Can't describe NF to others, one has to experience it. Amazing!! The island of Maui kept running through my head-road to Hana. Dyvking called it-95 in PR, prolly 55 at the coast, clouds & fog. And yes, got caught behind many rental cages and mh's.

Stopped at some water falls that one of the locals said she hasn't that much water in many years. Had lunch at the Ragged Point, then slumberly headed back to SLO.

Excuse my stooopid for not figuring out how to post pics yet...but when i do look out. I know, go back to Ask Baldy.

Thanks again ADV folks! What a community.

duy, we're all on big bikes and no one is trucking.......i think so.

i'm leaving friday noon and should get to san simeon around 6 pm. taking the coast highway, even though it's a lot slower than the 5/paso robles or the 101/paso robles. if i have time, will check out hw 46/41 to 101. i heard those are beautiful roads and sceneries.

others probably won't leave here after 4-5 pm. my guess it's a 5 hour ride with traffic to san simeon.

there are 6 of us confirmed on friday. no more bed for you and others. book your own room for friday. we're staying at the sands by the sea.
saturday you are good, and we have spaces for 2 more riders (floaters...)

the rooms have fridge and microwave.....wohooo, cold drinks for everyone.

enjoy your business trip. take pictures and post them. the locals are getting restless and fixating on the burgers....
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #22669
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

saturday riding plan.

i'm trucking the small bike to rowher and has room for another bike and rider. post up if you're interested. planning to leave my house @ 6am.

now, where are those small bikes PPs bought when they downsized???
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #22670
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Dove Springs to McIvers cabin gpx

btw, I just posted those tracks to gpsxchange

If anyone needs those emailed, send me your email address
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #22671
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
btw, I just posted those tracks to gpsxchange

If anyone needs those emailed, send me your email address

it's one local ride "not to be missed"
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #22672
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

see you at 7.

you coming over to my house? if not, i can give your spot to someone.

jim, duy may not be there, but still bring sonya along....
I could swing by, but if someone else needs the spot in the truck I'll ride. GOOD NEWS, I finally found your sunglasses when I had to search for a loose screw under the seat. Just received my 09' cam, I won't have it installed by Saturday, but the next ride should be better.
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #22673
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

adventure pass

Quote:
I could swing by, but if someone else needs the spot in the truck I'll ride. GOOD NEWS, I finally found your sunglasses when I had to search for a loose screw under the seat. Just received my 09' cam, I won't have it installed by Saturday, but the next ride should be better.
hi paul. you're good, be at my house 6am. glasses found! good news, i knew i left it in your truck.

rowher flats - requires ADVENTURE PASS...didn't know that, 2x i got away, now i'm getting a yearly pass @ $30 and i can get the extra vehicle pass @ $5.

anyone wants to split the passes? $15 for you PPs.

i'll bring a small cooler with 12 cokes and 6 beers.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #22674
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
What is the ride plan? Stay in rowher or on to the rock inn?
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #22675
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
hi paul. you're good, be at my house 6am. glasses found! good news, i knew i left it in your truck.

rowher flats - requires ADVENTURE PASS...didn't know that, 2x i got away, now i'm getting a yearly pass @ $30 and i can get the extra vehicle pass @ $5.

anyone wants to split the passes? $15 for you PPs.

i'll bring a small cooler with 12 cokes and 6 beers.
I'll split it with you if no one else does.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #22676
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Joel,

When you buy the pass, don't let them punch the start date. I'll explain when I see you.

See ya at 6AM, damn that sounds like work...
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #22677
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
saturday riding plan.

i'm trucking the small bike to rowher and has room for another bike and rider. post up if you're interested. planning to leave my house @ 6am.

now, where are those small bikes PPs bought when they downsized???
h8,
I wish I could join you guys since you're gonna be in my neck of the woods. I hope to be back out in another couple of months.
MNC
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #22678
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
What is the ride plan? Stay in rowher or on to the rock inn?
bob #1, we wil just do dirt skills practice, ride to higher elevation, some med difficulty hill climbs/descent, and if we still have time, i like to ride to rogue ridge (at least halfway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I'll split it with you if no one else does.
bob #2, it's yours and will bring it this sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCherryinCA View Post
h8,
I wish I could join you guys since you're gonna be in my neck of the woods. I hope to be back out in another couple of months.
MNC
bob #3, you just heal nicely and we'll have more rides coming. too hot to be riding full day anyway.

for now, get your bike ready. get a rear cush hub and bigger tank...you will need those on longer day or weekend rides....

Quote:
Joel,

When you buy the pass, don't let them punch the start date. I'll explain when I see you.

See ya at 6AM, damn that sounds like work...
not bob..

clerk wanted to cross out JUNE but i ask NOT TO since 2 days from now is already JULY. we argued and she marked it afterall. good thing the ink rubbed off. ok this saturday then.....
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #22679
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by millahtime View Post
hey Joel, just wanted you to know Camino Cielo West is open from hwy 154/San Marcos Pass in S.B. to Refugio Canyon, you could drop back to the 101 at Refugio or take the dirt side down into the Santa Ynez valley and re-connect to the 101 at Buellton, or jog to the right on hwy 246 to pickup the 154 as it reconnects with the 101 near Los Alamos.

hi millah, i have to quote your post here, since the upcoming thread is just for announcing the rides.

yeah, camino cielo is nice and i want to do it again. don't know if we have time to do it on the way home.

fyyff and i did it last january. here some pics and vid.

Quote:
continuation of sunday ride

no difficulty finding refugio rd from santa ynez

there's this sign but doesn't mean it's off limits

we didn't waste anytime getting to the top

nice...

good riding up there

and i have video and will post them later

the pacific side

and walk 10 steps to the other side of the road, there's lake cachuma

more later....work in the way.

Quote:
dual sport bikes can take you to places

let's get up there

wow...what a view

the channel islands, is that santa rosa or santa cruz?

the dirt road in front of us

heading towards santa barbara

lunch at 3 pm

the fish taco is now my fav

good to see a gas station not wearing a corporate outfit

the price of gas

the ride home

the statistics

videos to follow.....

Quote:
haba..haba....here is one of them.....

we only saw 3 peeps that morning...beautiful weather and awesome view. great to do it again this time coming from e. camino and lunch at rancho market in santa ynez...excellent tri-tips.

enjoy!

Quote:
enjoy!

we hope you like the rr as much as the actual riding!

thanks to all who joined us, we'll do it again and perhaps in the spring when the plains are alive with all sorts of plants.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #22680
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
bob #1, we wil just do dirt skills practice, ride to higher elevation, some med difficulty hill climbs/descent, and if we still have time, i like to ride to rogue ridge (at least halfway).

bob #2, it's yours and will bring it this sat.

bob #3, you just heal nicely and we'll have more rides coming. too hot to be riding full day anyway.

for now, get your bike ready. get a rear cush hub and bigger tank...you will need those on longer day or weekend rides....

not bob..

clerk wanted to cross out JUNE but i ask NOT TO since 2 days from now is already JULY. we argued and she marked it afterall. good thing the ink rubbed off. ok this saturday then.....
Seems to me that we are missing a bob aka Wildchild

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote