ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #22771
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Re: Upcoming Camino Cielo Ride - I also have some tracks/info for the SB area, if you are interested (from years of riding those trails in the early 90s, and multiple return trips since).

I remember that 5N12 used to go all the way through from Paradise Rd to East Camino Cielo. I would do an awesome loop of West Camino Cielo (dirt), Refugio Road (dirt), 154, Paradise Rd, Camuesa Rd (AKA 5N12 - dirt) to East Camino Cielo and Gibraltar back around. It was awesome, but they closed the 5N12 permanently at Mono campground (just past the turnoff to Little Caliente hot springs). Much of my intel is not so current, but I just love that area!

Check the SB Ranger district page as you get closer to the ride (or call for the most recent info): http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ (navigate to: Los Padres/SB District Road Closures) Right now the Divide Peak gate (down to P-Bar Flats and the hot springs, etc. is closed, so all of the joy of the eastern stretch of 5N12 will not be available. Hopefully they will open it in time for your planned Camino Cielo ride. If not, try West Camino Cielo (throw in Stagecoach, Painted Cave, and Old San Marcos - all paved for good measure)

---
July 2, 2011
SANTA BARBARA RANGER DISTRICT
(805) 967-3481
Visitors to the forest should always call ahead to the Ranger District which is nearest to their destination for the latest conditions. They are also highly advised to consult the National Weather Service for current and predicted weather!
Buckhorn Road is CLOSED.
Murietta Road is CLOSED.
Santa Ynez River Road is CLOSED.
Romero Camuesa Road is CLOSED.
OPEN CAMPGROUNDS : Los Prietos, Paradise, Fremont, Sage Hill (reservable, requires group of 15 or more) and Upper Oso.
Divide Peak Gate: CLOSED . Currently there is no vehicle access to the Upper Santa Ynez Recreation Area (P-Bar Flats, Middle Santa Ynez and Mono).

(GPS tracks are not live logged, but give a good idea of the old loop)
Attached Files
File Type: gpx SB_CaminoCielo_5N12_Loop.gpx (180.7 KB, 50 views)
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #22772
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Ha! I'm famous!
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #22773
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I thought it was. It wasn't getting any better. I am able to rotate my foot, but I can't put any weight on it. Xrays showed I was lucky with the break. The Fib broke high enough that the entire ankle didn't let loose. I have thought about a hack. Hack an xr4, that would be unique!
Dang Bob, I wish you a quick and complete recovery bud.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #22774
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,830
randal, that is nice; your direction is very much like a ride report...

i like your recommendation, take the scenic route on the way up. ride back to san simeon on the coast highway.

really thankful for your time and efffort. i'm sure the others too will appreciate it and they're paying attention to the details. having the pics got me excited as well.

like always, there will be a RR after the trip.

cheers.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #22775
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Thanks r3r3 for the intel.
IntrepidRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #22776
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Re: Upcoming Camino Cielo Ride - I also have some tracks/info for the SB area, if you are interested (from years of riding those trails in the early 90s, and multiple return trips since).

I remember that 5N12 used to go all the way through from Paradise Rd to East Camino Cielo. I would do an awesome loop of West Camino Cielo (dirt), Refugio Road (dirt), 154, Paradise Rd, Camuesa Rd (AKA 5N12 - dirt) to East Camino Cielo and Gibraltar back around. It was awesome, but they closed the 5N12 permanently at Mono campground (just past the turnoff to Little Caliente hot springs). Much of my intel is not so current, but I just love that area!

Check the SB Ranger district page as you get closer to the ride (or call for the most recent info): http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ (navigate to: Los Padres/SB District Road Closures) Right now the Divide Peak gate (down to P-Bar Flats and the hot springs, etc. is closed, so all of the joy of the eastern stretch of 5N12 will not be available. Hopefully they will open it in time for your planned Camino Cielo ride. If not, try West Camino Cielo (throw in Stagecoach, Painted Cave, and Old San Marcos - all paved for good measure)

---
July 2, 2011
SANTA BARBARA RANGER DISTRICT
(805) 967-3481
Visitors to the forest should always call ahead to the Ranger District which is nearest to their destination for the latest conditions. They are also highly advised to consult the National Weather Service for current and predicted weather!
Buckhorn Road is CLOSED.
Murietta Road is CLOSED.
Santa Ynez River Road is CLOSED.
Romero Camuesa Road is CLOSED.
OPEN CAMPGROUNDS : Los Prietos, Paradise, Fremont, Sage Hill (reservable, requires group of 15 or more) and Upper Oso.
Divide Peak Gate: CLOSED . Currently there is no vehicle access to the Upper Santa Ynez Recreation Area (P-Bar Flats, Middle Santa Ynez and Mono).

(GPS tracks are not live logged, but give a good idea of the old loop)

I rode the Camino Cielo road two weeks ago... was awesome. Had a great time. there is still a good portion of dirt road, about 5 or so miles, just past the skeet range and winds up at Refurgio beach... that's if you are going in from the San Marcos pass side.... I wanted to ride into Solvang but the gate was closed :-(
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #22777
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
I rode the Camino Cielo road two weeks ago... was awesome. Had a great time. there is still a good portion of dirt road, about 5 or so miles, just past the skeet range and winds up at Refurgio beach... that's if you are going in from the San Marcos pass side.... I wanted to ride into Solvang but the gate was closed :-(
We are planning on entering East Camino Cielo from Gibraltar Road. Do you know how far does East Camino Cielo, NF-5N12, continue on dirt before a locked gate when approached from Gibraltar Road?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #22778
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidRunner View Post
We are planning on entering East Camino Cielo from Gibraltar Road. Do you know how far does East Camino Cielo, NF-5N12, continue on dirt before a locked gate when approached from Gibraltar Road?
If the Divide Peak gate is closed, that stops you after maybe a mile or two of dirt (the road is paved to Romero Saddle, then continues on the inland side of the ridge for a bit before you get to the Divide Peak OHV trailhead and gate). There are also gates at Pendola/P-Bar Flats, at the top of the hill above Mono Camp (that is a newer one - less than 10 years old?), and past Mono Dam (at the permanent closure). The gate out to Big Caliente hot springs is sometimes closed as well (right turn at Pendola station) but I love going out for a soak if it is open (not to mention that the water crossings are fun).

Right now the Divide Peak gate seems to be closed. There is an OHV trail there that you can take along the ridge to the east, but (from memory) it is not big bike friendly (at all). I'm not sure why the gate is closed, since it is usually a winter weather closure, but sometimes they extend it into the summer months if there was a recent fire in the area (to prevent erosion, etc.) Call the district directly and ask, they will have all of the details.

The ranger who has been at the Pendola Guard Station (in the more recent past) rides a dual sport bike on patrol. He is a nice guy, but is very strict. My advice: be cool to him, we do not want to lose any more access out there. It is also a fee area (Adventure Pass, or similar required to park/camp).

You may also want to consider Paradise Road to the Camuesa OHV trail (the west side of 5N12) from Upper/Lower Oso. You used to be able to get up to Pine Mtn that way. Also, there are a few dirt roads up off Happy Canyon Rd if I recall. It's all bout the gates, etc. The SB Ranger District HQ will have the most current info.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #22779
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

I called the Santa Barbara Ranger District Office and spoke to a ranger there. He said that the Divide Peak Gate is closed to 4WD traffic, but bikes and quads can get around legally. We can ride 12-1/2 miles before reaching the gate at Hot Springs, which is closed to all vehicles. The ranger said that there is road damage beyond the gate, that's why it is closed.

So we will have a nice, but short O/R ride.

Does anybody have suggestions of other nearby dirt roads or trails accessible from the Gibraltar Road summit?

IntrepidRunner screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 04:08 PM Reason: Oops!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #22780
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
hey guys, if you havent run it, off of Old Creek rd near Cayucos is Santa Rita Cyn rd. Its a cool mix of pavement and dirt under "bitchin" canopy with good elevation changes. Look it up I love it!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #22781
Artboy57
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 690
Sounds like a fun trip, boys. Speaking of injuries, I've been off the bikes for 6 weeks already, broke my upper humerus in 2 coming off my 650x. Water crossing coated with algae got me. Like ice. Slow healing and then pt for a while. Have fun and entertain me with photos!
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #22782
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboy57 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip, boys. Speaking of injuries, I've been off the bikes for 6 weeks already, broke my upper humerus in 2 coming off my 650x. Water crossing coated with algae got me. Like ice. Slow healing and then pt for a while. Have fun and entertain me with photos!
Was wondering where you were.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #22783
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Nice RR! Never seen so many Haski's in one spot before!
It's just a matter of time before Husky production in raging again.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #22784
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
That blows. Heal quick.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #22785
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,830
Quote:
that really sucks.

damn chris, how could this happen? sorry man, wish you a quick recovery .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_extremity_of_humerus

looks like we have collection of medical terminology in this thread.

PPs, you all ride safe, if you're not 100% feeling right, don't ride. if the bike has an issue, even a little one, don't ride. most of all ride with a buddy and ride within your limits.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote