ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #23281
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Hey Joel, I guess you didn't know...I have to work friday til 10am. Leaving from work (downtown LA). Ersin will be meeting me there and will be riding together. If you guys don't want to wait we can tail you and eventually meet up somewhere?
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #23282
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Put me down for the Friday mission. I just need to be back @ work on Monday.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #23283
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,878
Good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
WMRS is just 4 days away for those planning to leave on FRIDAY.

who else wants to join us?

the plan is ride from home on friday to hw99 across the sierra via tioga (?). return sunday, and monday for others.

riders
fyypp
m1jeep
8)H
fudgypup
spafxer?
pcvance (visalia)

can we meet at castaic like 10am this friday?

post up here, instead of PM.

good chance we will get to the east side of the sierra (395) by friday afternoon. since more riding to be had on saturday and they are north of mammoth, i suggest we camp near tioga pass. i'm thinking of walker lake or meet some of the good PPs camping near june lake.

next morning, ride to bodie or as far as walker pass.

saturday night, camp at the same spot or go down to brown's camp and join the festivity.

sunday, pack em up, ride south, check out wmrs, then ride home.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #23284
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

i know, lots of peeps have opinions on the tioga friday traffic. someone said put up with the traffic, cuz the reward of seeing tioga is big.

stupid question: we're on bikes, does that put as in an advantage? i will think so.
It's a National Park!

Two lanes most of the way. Lots of cops so not much advantage by bike.

If we leave at 10 am.. traffic might not be bad... we will be going through Tioga about 6 pm.. No camping either, full campgrounds and gotta hike way back in to camp. Probably need a Ranger Todd permit too.

If you want to do Tioga, get up at 6 am on Saturday, ride both ways from 395 before the turistas get up !

Check out Hwy 99 to 41 to 49 to 108. We will be up in the High Sierra where camping is more casual (and just as beautiful)

We have to leave Castaic by 8 am though!

jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #23285
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,898
no, i don't want to camp in yosemite.

remember this place. we can possibly camp on friday night here.

rich, answer to your question about the weather (near tioga pass and the 395): WARM DURING THE DAY!

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 82.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 48.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 84.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 49.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 82.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 48.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 83.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 49.

NSFW screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 05:05 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #23286
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
It's a National Park!

If we leave at 10 am.. traffic might not be bad... we will be going through Tioga about 6 pm.. No camping either, full campgrounds and gotta hike way back in to camp. Probably need a Ranger Todd permit too.

If you want to do Tioga, get up at 6 am on Saturday, ride both ways from 395 before the turistas get up !

Check out Hwy 99 to 41 to 49 to 108. We will be up in the High Sierra where camping is more casual (and just as beautiful)

jim
Hey Jim,
heres a little know gem of a campground worth checking out if you guys need a campsite

Saddlebag Lake
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Saddlebag+Lake,+CA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.626896,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Saddlebag+Lake&z=14

Saddlebag Lake Campground
Inyo National Forest, California
Campground Home Page
Welcome to our review of Saddlebag Lake campground.
Camping With A View is dedicated to finding campsites and campgrounds that have beautiful or scenic views. If you've camped at one of our featured campgrounds or know of other campgrounds that have beautiful or scenic views and would like to share your experiences or photos please send them to us.

Beautiful View: Lake, Mountains and Evergreen Forest
Saddlebag campground is in a mixed forest located near and above Saddlebag Lake.
Best Sites: All sites should have beautiful views of the lake and many have views of the surrounding mountains.

General Information:

Season**:

Jun - Mid Oct

Phone:

760-647-3044

Lee Vining, CA

Reservations:

Not available

Elevation:

10,000 feet

Rate*^/max stay:

$17/14 days

Sites:

20 RV and tent ***

Toilets:

Vault

RV-hook ups:

No

Hot showers:

No

RV-pull thrus:

No

Water spigot/pump:

Yes

RV-waste station:

*See note below.

Recreation:

Fishing, boating

RV-pot. water station:

No

hiking

RV- parking spur:

Small *~

*No facilities located on campground; but there may be nearby. Contact campground personnel at above number.
** Campground season often depends on the weather and other factors; call campground at above number to confirm exact opening and closing dates.
*^ Campground rates often change. Private campground rates often include other fees in addition to the basic rate. Call campground for more precise and up-to-date information.
*** There are both RV and tent sites at this campground. Some of the sites may be for tents only and some may be for RVs only and some may allow both an RV and/or a tent.
*~ Accurate and consistent information on recommended RV parking spurs is challenging to come by. Recommended RV lengths for this campground should fall within one of the ranges listed below. Call campground personnel for more precise recommendations.
Small = less than 35 feet in length
Medium = 35 44
Large = 45 55
Extra Large = greater than 55

CAMPGROUND NAME: Saddlebag Lake VISIT DATE: 07/07/2003 UPDATE DATE: 5/12/2010 STATE: California REGION: Pacific Southwest RANGER DISTRICT: Mono Lake NEAREST CITY/TOWN: Lee Vining RESERVATIONS: No DIRECTIONS: From Lee Vining, CA, take US Rt. 395 south 0.3 miles to Tioga Pass sign. Turn right onto State Rt. 120 west 10.2 miles to Saddlebag Rd sign. Turn right onto Saddlebag Rd and go 2.5 miles to campground on right. NOTE: Entrance to campground is a hairpin turn just above Saddlebag Lake Resort. Saddlebag Rd is a single-lane road with turnouts and is intermintently paved and gravel. GENERAL COMMENTS: The elevation is 10,100 ft. The campground is a single loop around a hilltop above Saddlebag Lake. Lodgepole and Whitebark pine provide some shade. All camp sites have magnificent views of the lake. Saddlebag Lake Resort offers limited supplies, fishing tackle, boat rentals, breakfast and lunch, great pies, etc. Day trips are possible to Yosemite National Park and Mono Basin Scenic Area. This is bear country; practice safe food storage techniques. "Possessing/storing food so bears/wild animals have access will result in a fine of at least $150." SEASONS Open Seasonal: Yes Open All Year: No Seasonal Comment: Open June 1 through October 15. RATE AND MAXIMUM STAY PERMITTED Rate: $19 per day Maximum Stay Permitted (days): 14 CAMPGROUND SITE CONFIGURATION No. RV Sites: 0 No. Tent Sites: 0 No. Combined Sites (Tent or RV): 19 Total Sites: 19 Tent Pads: Yes Open Sites: Yes Wooded Sites: Yes No. Tables on Sites: 19 No. Grilles on Sites: 19 Equestrian Camping: No RV INFORMATION Hookups: None No. RV Pull Throughs: 0 Waste Station: No Average Parking Apron Size: 12' X 34' Comments: The parking aprons are rock and dirt. Campground not recommended for large RVs. An RV waste station with no potable water, is available for a fee at the Mobil station located at intersection of US 395 and State Rt. 120. A second RV waste station is in Yosemite National Park - expect to pay a fee. FACILITIES Vaults: Yes Flush Toilets: No Hot Showers: No Wheelchair Friendly Toilets: Yes Public Phone: No Playground: No No. Water Spigots (non-site): 3 No. Threaded: 3 WATER SPORTS Lake: Yes Swimming (provided): No Sailing: No Boat Ramp: Yes Boat Carry Down Access: No Power Boating: Yes Boating (no power): Yes Water Skiing: No Rafting (whitewater): No Kayaking (whitewater): No Comments: Saddlebag Lake is 600 acres. A boat ramp fee is charged and powerboats are limited to 15mph. HIKING Twenty Lakes Basin (foot) - 5 miles provides access to a network of trails in the Hoover Wilderness and Harvey Monroe Hall Natural Area. Another type of access to the Twenty Lakes Basin Trail and Hoover Wilderness is via the Wilderness Express (pontoon boat across Saddlebag Lake). FISHING Rainbow, Brook, and Brown trout

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #23287
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
http://saddlebaglakeresort.com/
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #23288
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
Put me down for the Friday mission. I just need to be back @ work on Monday.

awesome, and there won't be any sandwash this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
It's a National Park!

jim

we have to do tioga, regardless of the traffic situation. or we can take the 395 and meet perry elsewhere, not cool.

beggars can't be choosers. let's just make the best of the situation. personaly, i can leave as early as thursday night, but i prefer hanging out with the PPs, so friday morning will do.

we can wait for you at castaic until 11 am or so.

NSFW screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 05:18 PM
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #23289
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Thanks Joel. Google maps says its 41 miles from downtown LA. 11AM is good.

Meet at McD's off the freeway?
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #23290
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Joel,

I didn't remember about Perry. What's the deal there?

The owner of Walker Burger (in the town of Walker on 395) said we could camp there. Just let him know. Mmmm breakfast in the morning!

If we pick a destination, we can plan times and routes.

Keith,

Saddlebag lake sounds good. Is that in the park, and is that the place you can stay at during winter? You have to hike in, but they will snowmobile your gear in for you !
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #23291
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,698
I'm following Spafxer.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #23292
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

perry (pcvance) is one of the original planners of this group ride. he lives in central cali and i guess they already made arrangement to pick him up along the way and take tioga to the 395.

me being a late comer, don't wan't to change their route. like everyone was saying, tioga is not the fastest road.

we just all have to compromise. as long we get to the 395 before sunset, i'm fine.

camping at walker burger is great too, but that's almost an hour from tioga/395. might as well take sonora and that will take us 15 miles south of walker.

let's wait for perry and hear his side, i have a feeling he wants to take us to some cool back roads in his backyard.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #23293
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

wmrs ride

while we wait for perry, we can talk about the sunday ride.

most likely all of us are riding up to the station.

the 640 won't be ready, it will be the 950 with full luggage........which means i'm skipping silvercanyon, and taking the long way around via hw168 (big pine). planning to take the dirt road (chilango) to bishop, eat breakfas, then to wmrs.

on the way down, take wyman canyon (a must see) to hw168 to big pine then ride south on the 395 on the way home.

those who are camping in mammoth, you have 3 options. #1) 395 north, #2) back road, west of the 395, #3) chilango - same dirt road which we will take on the way to bishop. there's a parallel dirt road, and that is your option.

anyone tagging along, just let me know by posting up here.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #23294
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I'm following Spafxer.
Yep
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #23295
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

I've been meaning to measure the 950A's rear brake rotor.... Yep, well under spec. A little over 20,000 miles. No complaints.

Anyone recommend where to get a replacement?

KTM Twins $232 for a Galfer wave floater.... Damn.