ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #23461
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,870
WMRS Ride - My Way

Here is my 5 day, 1,400 miles, ride to WMRS, Bishop, Lee Vining, Bodie, Walker, Yosemite, Mammoth, June Lake, Grant Lake, Silver Lake, and many more...

Day 1, Friday:

I took Friday off from work and ready to go at 9 am. It was my first ride with my new Giand Loop Great Basin and that thing was huge inside but not that much on the outside.

I was supposed to meet M1Jeep in downtown LA at 10am, but he was late as usual.

Finally he got out right when I was about to melt under the hot downtown sun and we left at 10:30am. 5 Fwy was as usual, some traffic where we had to split lanes.

We met Joel at 11:15 with a 15 minutes delay and had our healthy breakfast at McDonald's. Then hit the road again to meet Perry at Visalia. I think Joel needs some "orange" outfit for that bike.

After a city tour thanks to M1Jeep , we met Perry. And it was hot hot hot...

Perry showed us some nice back roads to Hwy 41.

We got gas at Madera Chevron station. But what I didn't know then was I will be fixing my second flat tire in 5 days in very same location.

Salute !!!

Right after we saw a mother deer, and 3 baby ones following her crossing the road, we stopped for gas again. Watch out for Joel's left hand.

Then some fun and twisty Hwy 41 to Yosemite Valley.

Half Dome lookout

We went through Yosemite Valley and surprisingly there was no traffic. This is Tiago Pass Road around 9:05pm. It was high (9,494 ft) and it was cold (47.4 degF).

We were down at Lee Vining at around 10:00pm and found a great place to eat. Bar-B-Q sandwich. I cant recall the name and it was not on the GPS either. But I am sure Joel took some picture.
After the dinner we left and tried to find Matt first, but couldn't. And headed 395 north to meet Jim and John at their camp.
That's it for day 1.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #23462
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
wow...synchronized salute......
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #23463
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

saturday morning after gassing up in topaz lake, we rode back south to check out jackass flat (above walker); the plan is to ride the dirt road parallel with the 395, then back to walker for lunch, bodie in the afternoon and hit mammoth in the evening.

that's one tiny post office

took the back road to get to the trail

boringly flat but it's dirt...

soon we were in the canyon

constantly changing road condition

who let the animals in?

why is it the rocks look smaller in the picture?...

i remember there is only 1 big rock and the nOOb in me decided to check it out....

rolling terrain everywhere

perry and ersin

approaching another barbed wire gate

let's up the pace by a notch
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #23464
FYYFF
Forever young...

WMRS Ride - My Way

Here is my 5 day, 1,400 miles, ride to WMRS, Bishop, Lee Vining, Bodie, Walker, Yosemite, Mammoth, June Lake, Grant Lake, Silver Lake, and many more...

Day 2, Saturday:

As we all agreed, our camp spot was perfect. We didn't even have to set our tents up. Just sleeping pad, and sleeping bags.

JohnGil in front of Davis High Country Cafe after we had our breakfast.

I love those oranges

Joel looks scary with all his black outfit.

Jim is always happy and smiling

Perry fully loaded

After hitting the dirt for couple miles, we came across with this long rockbed/water crossing. I was following Joel and right at the end of the rocky section he laid it down. I also have this on video.

Views were magnificent.

We kind of got lost couple of times because we couldn't follow Matt's tracks. There was a very steep and rocky hill climb we were supposed to take but we couldn't. So we got lost and had to stop to discuss which way to go for couple of times. Perry didn't seem to care much though.

Rich is having a sun-tan with his riding gear.

Jim's 1 of many water crossings

And now it's Joel's turn

It was really hot and we had to stop so many times.

A shot from my GoPro helmet cam. Wide angle shots look nice.

As you can tell by now that I like this shot.

Waiting for our food at Walker Burger. Seems like Rich is loosing it because of heat and hunger...

After lunch Perry, Rich and I decided to check Bodie out on our way to Brown's Camp. It was beautiful but too late to look around, ranger was closing the gate and we just used the bathroom and left.

On our way to Brown's, Rich picked up a HUGE nail on his rear tire. It was a 4 inch dublex nail that penetrated through his rear tire's knoobs. Perry has the picture.

Once we are done, in about 30 minutes, we start riding again in a cool late afternoon.

We made it to the camp after night fall. People were already start drinking around camp fires. We set up our tents next to Eric's mansion.
This is Day 2, Saturday. Silver Canyon is next...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #23465
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

can't wait to see perry's pic...

we stopped and waited for the recon team report

john came back and recommended we take another route....

everyone was busy on their gps looking for the easy route....

you should all know by now that when the grass is green......there is ?

WATER.....looking good perry. this is the first of the many creek crossing that morning

this one is probably the longest one of all of them. ersin, he just loves water crossing....

jim, those huge panniers will surely keep that bike afloat anytime...

not sure what happened; i attacked the hill and all of the sudden the rear wheel spun and lost control. could be my tire didn't have the bite and the same time the dirt was loose.

ok rich and ersin, go to work....
Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #23466
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post

Joel looks scary with all his black outfit.

Waiting for our food at Walker Burger. Seems like Rich is loosing it because of heat and hunger...

Joel rode into camp Sat night and I didn't recognize him even after I introduced myself and he said his name is Joel. Oh!!!! I hadn't seen him ride that bike before and of course he was all blacked out.

Rich has some great faces he makes. I caught a few at the last KM trip. I think I called him Kung Fu Panda there but maybe "Grimace" works too?
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #23467
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Joel rode into camp Sat night and I didn't recognize him even after I introduced myself and he said his name is Joel. Oh!!!! I hadn't seen him ride that bike before and of course he was all blacked out.

hi eric, i was incognito and trying to avoid you for the fear you will drag my ass up on silvercanyon.....

you're an animal for getting up to the top of that mountain with a house stored in you panniers......

you would have enjoyed the saturday adventure we had there in walker and i could have used more muscles. next time.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #23468
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

the last crossing

still long way to walker

the back road to walker
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #23469
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

if you're in the area, look for this sign

all hungry PPs

that afternoon, it was pretty quiet

what we wanted is now in our hands

rich making funny face again...

getting ready to saddle up

we were a week too early
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #23470
FYYFF
Forever young...

WMRS Ride - My Way

Day 3, Sunday:

I woke up around 8:00am. Some riders were already left for WMRS. We didn't want to carry our camping gear with us up to Silver Canyon so we left them at Brown's.

We had a late start again so we had to step on it through Casa Diablo.

I felt like I was flying on loooong sand stretches. I was sliding my rear tire left and right on the turns. Then I start thinking "Wait a minute, this is too good to be true. I can't be THAT good of a rider to do all this slides on corners and straights too" and I stopped. And guess what? I had a flat. It wasn't only a flat but because I was probably riding on flat tire for couple of miles, I also messed up my rim strip too.
Here is the tire, thank you Matt for taking this picture. Good part is, bead was broken, and broken well...

This time we were not that luck as Rich's flat, where we had some shade, because it was almost noon and the sun was on top, leaving us no shade what so ever. And of course, there was no tree with in 1,000 mile radius.

90% of my rim strip was gone and only that piece you see on the picture were left hanging from the tire. Thank God Perry had some wrist band and ducktape. We fixed that problem with them and put my spare tube, which was smaller diameter than it was supposed to be and Matt warned me about that, i'll come to that later...
Oh, I forgot to mention that my axial was stuck and didn't want to come out because I never greased it. And because I forgot my sledgehammer home, we had to use some sponge looking stones. They looked big but no mass what so ever. And they were useless.
I am still not exactly sure how in the hell Matt and Perry worked that out but they did eventually. And I heard from them and everyone who stopped to check if we are OK (thanks guys) that I NEED TO GREASE MY AXIAL over and over and over again...

Anyways... Once we fixed the flat, in about 2 hours , we hit to Silver Canyon. Sorry no pictures here because I was too busy on grabbing my handlebar and gassing it up that sandy, rocky hills. I have to say it was the toughest trail for me, yet...
After 2 short breaks we made it to the top. The view was... WOW... We were over 10,000 feet.
These are special orders for Matt:

And here is me thinking "how the hell I made it all the was here???"

Thanks Perry, without you I was still on Casa Diablo.

This is a panoramic view from the top.

And finally we made it to WMRS at 3 o'clock. It was high allright...

Most of the people were already left but there were still a lot of cagers.

This is as high as I have been on foot.

Rich and Matt are checking out the view of Euroka Dunes

Me coming down on the steepest part of Silver Canyon. (Thanks Matt for the photo)

Our only break going down to water crossings of Silver Canyon

Rich said he lost his rear break and made it to the bottom with front one only

OK. Next is water crossings. Too much pictures on one post is not good so I'll split them.
Damn I took so many pictures. I fell like I am becoming like Joel...
That's scary...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #23471
FYYFF
Forever young...

Rest of my Day 3 RR is here.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #23472
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Rest of my Day 3 RR is here.
very nice.....good job!

Quote:

Day 3, Sunday (continues):

We came down from Silver Canyon. It was hard, dusty, and too hot. Thank God there were couple water crossings before we hit the pavement.
This is Perry:

And Matt

And this is our playground. The small whoop at the end of the water crossing was the bomb. But taking the picture at the right moment was really hard. This is Perry but I was too early with the shutter.

And Rich, I am getting better

Let's take a close look to that

And I got really good at this finally...

An other close up

And put some art in it... Here goes Matt's new avatar...

I have everybody on video as well. I'll post them once they are ready.
But now let's finish the RR. After playing with water and getting get we got gas and head back to Brown's to get our camp gear. Of course the dusty way. We were going side by side with Matt to not to eat dust. And it was a high speed ride as well, 60-70 mph.

We made it to the camp right before sundown. Got our stuff and left Brown's. Matt and Perry head back to their homes, I and Rich to Mammoth Lake Village to stay 2 more nights and explore the area.

This wraps up day 3 of my report. Day 4 & 5 to come next.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #23473
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Pre WMRS - Saturday - June Lake

On Saturday, before going up to Laurel Lakes, Riddler and I did some riding around June Lake with our friends Julie and Rick.

This was the first time we had ever ridden with them and they had only ridden about a dozen days ever.

When we got to June Lake Junction I remembered that I had a camera.

We made a quick trip down to check out the lake.

Then found a little hill climb to check out the noobs' skills.

This was a learning day. Here Julie learns how to rock her front end back and forth to help turn around.

While she heads down to take another shot at it, Riddler shows her how it's done.

Then walks back down to help her while I sit in the shade.

She's doing good.

But not that good.

Now Julie gets to practice walking her bike up a hill with power.

Step up.

And turn.

Rick was hanging back a little nervous but went up without incident.

Then it was back to some of the single track that we had done earlier.

With some nice obstacles.

Overall, these two noobs rode very impressively considering their very limited amount of seat time. Next time I ride with them, I may not be able to hang.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #23474
BiggieFalls
b00b

Post WMRS - Sunday - Coyote Flats

At the gas station in Bishop we ran into this guy in a big yellow truck. He wanted to ride.

We headed to a staging area where Coyote Flats starts to get interesting.

Two seconds later we were on the trail.

Since I was playing catch up the whole time, I didn't get another picture until these guys decided to stop up at the top.

This valley is at around 10,000 ft elevation.

After a Rhino charged Riddler and almost got him, we made our way through the rocky section before Funnel Lake.

The water level of Funnel Lake was much lower than the last time I was there. It was not even close to draining into the funnel.

Riddler's looking for the rest of the water while tahoeacr shows his disappointment.

Well at least there are plenty of rocks to ride over.

I still haven't caught up.

There they go again.

Riddler with a headstart.

Tahoeacr seeing how quickly he can catch him.

While doing wheelies half the way.

Out of the rocks and back into the valley.

Tahoeacr wanted to get some pictures looking down into Bishop.

I think he found the right vantage point.

Jeff loves to climb.

However, what goes up must come back down.

So now we all start our descent.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #23475
BiggieFalls
b00b

Post WMRS - Sunday - Coyote Flats 2

Riddler making his way down.

Then tahoeacr.

The scenery began to get more interesting on the way down.

Unless you were to turn around and look into the sun. Jeff gave me a five minute headstart six minutes before I took this.

The shadows are getting long and I still look fat. It must be my gear.

Tahoeacr and I were taking turns taking pictures of the same things.

I think he said that a lot of westerns were filmed in this area.

And that it has a special name like Alabama Hills or something.

It's all so nice and pretty.

Scratch that last comment. I fell for the rain rut in the middle of the trail trick again. Doh!

Uh oh, here comes Jeff.

Oh shit, he's headed right for me.

Whew!

I pick my spot and try to cross the rut once and eat it. Tahoeacr crosses it four times around obstacles (me and bike) laughing the whole way.

We eventually made it down all the rock slides and sand slides and other things and headed into Big Pine for some dinner, then back to the trucks and back to camp.

Jeff hung out for a while enjoying the fire and sharing some lemondrops that Marilyn had premade. Today was a great day riding.