ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #26836
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Loved your sand and Echo canyon videos from DV DAZE.
hi eric, where are those pics you took?

brung em.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #26837
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

most of us met again at pappy's. very good breakfast if you ask me. 3rd time coming here.

here we decided who goes where

i don't know if the 1st group went and rode w.and e camino cielo. haven't talked to any of them yet.

the group went separate ways, and many headed home after breakfast.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #26838
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Down on a holiday from the snow in Canmore Alberta. We are here in FOY (fountain of Youth". My inlays are here lazing around. Met one fellow here that has a 2009 F800GS, spoke to him for a bit. Sure the hell is hot out here, I cannot imagine the desert riding out here in the summer! We are 1 hour out of Palm Springs, Flying back tomorrow night to the snow. Have fun and be safe all of you and maybe see you sometime this summer, with a group of fire fighters on BMW's for Canada.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #26839
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,278
Chris' RR - First Segment

I kind of got a headstart on this weekend trip, took half a day off Friday so I could get going. I ended up riding 570 miles. Not sure, but that might be a record for distance this trip. Anyone ride further? I figure about a hundred of it was dirt.

As Fudgy mentioned, we rode up together Friday afternoon from Orange County. So warm I had my vented jacket on over a t-shirt. Ah, California winters, nothin' like 'em.

We came out the 10 all the way thru LA, Santa Monica and up the coast hiway thru Malibu - absolutely gorgeous. Then finally hit the northerly winds that were stirring everything up Friday afternoon and evening. By the time we got to Pt. Mugu it was blowing about 20-25mph. Sycamore was moreorless calm but it was way early so I told Eric I'd go up the coast some more and see what was in store.

By the time we got to Oxnard it was blowing about 40, so we just kept going. I flagged him off at Carpenteria, said this was it. It was calm and we were in the lee of the coast mountains there so it looked to be a great spot to pitch a tent for the night, then head out for breakfast in the morning to Ojai. Fudgy was on a mission, so off he went towards Pismo and turns out he really got a blast.

They tried to shoehorn me into a single parking stall with a dirt pit at the end of it. WTF? I said what's open on that loop over there? Oh, 22 is open, if you don't like the one we put you in just come back and we'll change it. Yeah, took be about 3 minutes. So I got this beautiful spot right on the beach, setup camp, had a beer and watched the sunset. After a walk on the beach went into town to a nice little Chinese Food joint and had a huge bowl of fried rice with everything but the kitchen sink in it. Yum. Topped up with gas and headed back to camp. Still not a breath of wind, but it was getting a bit chilly.

Went to sleep with pounding surf in the background, snug in my down bag, stars overhead.

8AM Saturday morning I was packed and ready to roll. Up the 150 to Ojai.

Pre-ordering at the Cafe Emporium was brilliant. We were in and out pretty quick with some great food. I only had to ask for a cup of decaf 5 times. Wow.

Us Roadies assembled, my Versys and 3 'stroms - slugdad, motok, and sopascat, a new Tiger with mooseboy and Chickfire, Lonestar Bob on his GS and a new guy Diego on his 990. We took off right behind the 'B' group. In fact, for the first 15 miles we were right behind their tail riders. At about 17 miles I pulled off to regroup and make sure everybody was good to go and check the pace. We definitely weren't riding slow. Not too fast, but keeping a real good pace nonetheless. Couldn't ask for better weather or riding conditions. I can't tell you guys how happy I am we waited a week. We were very favorably blessed.

Prakash (motok) stayed right on my tail the whole way. We would hold up now and then to let the rest of the group catch up.

After waiting for Fudgy and Bob Cherry (MNCherryinCA) at Mariposa we finally headed out over Soda Lake Road, across the Carrizo Plain. Bob joined our group for this leg on his KTM625.

Talk about a smooth dirt road. Even these roadies were making a good speed. Not knowing what might lay ahead, we kept our speed in check to stay safe. It's fine to get these beasts up to speed, not so much if you have to stop in a hurry!

Here we pulled off at the Soda Lake overlook.

Lonestar...Mooseboy & Chickfire...
I don't think a smile ever left Diego's face. He had his 900 recently knobbied up and was diggin' some dirt road.

It looks like Amber was saying a prayer here for the next section out Pozo Road.

More to come...

browneye screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 07:26 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #26840
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,278
Chris' RR - Second Segment

The Roadies group offroad trek out Pozo Road to the old saloon was epic. We couldn't ask for better conditions. The road was pretty smooth so we were able to make good time. I thought the plain was a little plain compared to the mountains and scrub oaks we were getting into. This section of the day's route offered a little more challenge to entertain us as well.

The 'dirt guys' easily kept up with yours truly on his roadie.

Along came the others, one by one. Lonestar Bob wasn't kidding...he was on a liesurely ride today.

Cathy is cruising right along...

Finally the dirt ended and we were so disappointed to be back on pavement. So we hit the saloon, cool place that it is. Met up with the rest of the riders for burgers and beers. Very tasty after a day of riding.

It was time to head up to High Mountain Campground before dark. That little section of road was by far the toughest section of the weekend. Roadies in a mud bog are about the worst combo you can get. But alas we made it. What a gorgeous mountain top retreat. Complete with beeping frogs, a carpet of oak leaves, and Bob Cherry had brought the BEER and FIREWOOD. WHOOHOO!!

More to come...

browneye screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 11:40 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #26841
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Ranger Todd must have relocated

He's now tasing dog walkers!
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #26842
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
hi eric, where are those pics you took?

brung em.
Here are some of my pics:
great beer here. food? not so much

all loaded up. of course the wood fell off on that dirt road on the way up and I had to tie it back down again, the whole time looking over my shoulder thinking a mountain lion was going to pounce on me.

Home

I thought Danny G was at DV Daze?

Big Todd can ride that thing FAST. Had a hard time keeping up and he was fully loaded. At least I got to leave my crap back at camp.

turn around you pp

Our leader, Spafxer

thankfully they left some beer for us

Full bellies

Got stopped for about 30 min waiting for this cattle drive to get off the road. We could have gone by but didn't want to spook the horses with riders. Speaking of which, this old crank on horseback Sat morning yelled at MNCherryinCA and I to "slow down!" Um, how much slower can I go? We were barely going 5mph as we came up on her. I was thinking "oh, horses... I'll go WAY slow to show her that us motorcyclists respect those on horseback." Should have roosted her.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #26843
novos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Speaking of which, this old crank on horseback Sat morning yelled at MNCherryinCA and I to "slow down!" Um, how much slower can I go? We were barely going 5mph as we came up on her. I was thinking "oh, horses... I'll go WAY slow to show her that us motorcyclists respect those on horseback." Should have roosted her.
Cunt's gonna cunt... as they would say in the hip-hop.
novos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #26844
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
If I had those to play with I would never leave my house!

Jon what did i do to hurt you so bad? why you got to pick on me?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #26845
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
If I had those to play with I would never leave my house!

Jon what did i do to hurt you so bad? why you got to pick on me?
Hey now....glad we are rooming in Death Valley.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #26846
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Loved your sand and Echo canyon videos from DV DAZE.
thank you, but video is by Lior
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #26847
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

thanks chris and eric for more rr and nice pics. glad to see you guys filled in the gap.

those with pics, please post them up and share so people could could enjoy them. nothing better than food for the eyes.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #26848
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

those with pics, please post them up and share so people could could enjoy them. nothing better than food for the eyes.

so much food that i'm thinking about canceling my trip to Israel and going to DV noobs...

Joel u doing gr8 job organizing rides.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #26849
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

sunday

after brunch/lunch at pappy's, johngil, chris, erisin and i decided to continue on with the plan

rode pavement to n.refugio to get up to w.camino. we're heading to the top of that mountain range

my camera is doing a poor job catching the versys

while on the ridgeline, took some pics of the pacific while moving

we can see the channel islands

many sections were graded

teapot and roadie

one of my favorite pics

chris and john kept on riding, as a result, ersin got all my attention

i definitely need to come back here and just hang out and soak the view

downtown santa barbara
Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #26850
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

just awesome

i missed the jump by a millisecond, see the front forks compressed

ersin's ass looks big...

a place where you take your shotguns and shoot clay targets

my 950 was originally sold here in santa barbara

strange looking rock formation...looks like a skull

end of the weekend adventure for chris, though still have lots of miles to get home

ersin and juan are still IN