ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #27796
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,369
Is there a safe place to park a truck in Barstow?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #27797
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
You will want 100mi range from fuel in Baker on out......also think about possible detours.

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #27798
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
Is there a safe place to park a truck in Barstow?
California Inn seemed alright. I think there were cameras. We'll be staying there Friday. Don't know if they would mind parking there or not.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #27799
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,367
Hope you guys have a great ride, wish I could try and join in, SAND and all. Big Red is getting new suspension this weekend so I'll be ready the next time.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #27800
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Looks like I am in for this trip. I hope to leave Ventura by noonish on Friday and trailer the bike to Barstow. I need to find some suitable gas containers locally but have not had any luck finding the white gas steal containers that I thought of using. After doing a lot of searching I think I need about 3 liters of extra fuel to be safe. Some magazine reviews have stated an 80 mile range and others have stated less with the stock tank. The bike is new so I have not been able to figure out the range myself.

I am also adding to the stock tool kit items that I hope I dont need. Will be messing with the suspension settings on the fly while we are out there, I am a little bigger than some 6' 6" and about 240lbs. I do not expect the stock springs to support my big ass but hope to get it dialed in as good as I can.

Since I am trailering up and back I will have room on the trailer if anybody needs it. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Rob,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
Rich,Ersin, Me and Tom (ElZorillo) are in, looking' forward to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Party time!
It's getting better and better...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #27801
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Looks like I am in for this trip. I hope to leave Ventura by noonish on Friday and trailer the bike to Barstow. I need to find some suitable gas containers locally but have not had any luck finding the white gas steal containers that I thought of using. After doing a lot of searching I think I need about 3 liters of extra fuel to be safe. Some magazine reviews have stated an 80 mile range and others have stated less with the stock tank. The bike is new so I have not been able to figure out the range myself.

I am also adding to the stock tool kit items that I hope I dont need. Will be messing with the suspension settings on the fly while we are out there, I am a little bigger than some 6' 6" and about 240lbs. I do not expect the stock springs to support my big ass but hope to get it dialed in as good as I can.

Since I am trailering up and back I will have room on the trailer if anybody needs it. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Rob,
REI has them - MSR brand - aluminum -
I think they were $19 or $20 each
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #27802
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
REI has them - MSR brand - aluminum -
I think they were $19 or $20 each
several years back when i rode some remote parts of baja with a friend, he used nalgene (sp?) bottles which i'm pretty sure he said he picked up from REI also. they're plastic, but the gasket on top didn't leak, so i guess they work ok. i remember him saying they cost 8 bucks or so, so i bet they're still a lot less than the MSR bottles, but they're not as durable.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #27803
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Gallon jug over the shoulder works great.
I was going to suggest this also. I've been using an antifreeze bottle with a rope through the handle. I get an extra gallon this way.
I'm sure it's super dangerous but I'm a little stupid.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #27804
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,574
George Erl (Uptite Husky) has been doing the milk-jug thing for years pre-running Baja. He'll hang one off each handle bar and pour them in as soon as possible. He also stages fuel around the course, hidden of course, so he has fuel throughout. And he flies into Oso Negro in his Cessna with a bike in the rear passenger area (seats removed) and rides the course. Yep, he's a maniac. He's even older than me.

I have a couple of MSR bottles I can lend IF I MAKE IT. Will know by tomorrow. Still getting over a cold too.

And I will also want to leave car and trailer in Barstow. I'll call the motel if my trip comes together unless someone beats me to it. Certainly there's someplace in Barstow to leave tow-rigs, especially for just one night.

Do we have a departure time for Sat? I'm thinking maybe just drive up in the morning, it's just a couple of hours from home.

BTW, now that I think of it, I left two gallon gas cans at PSR at the noob rally to lend and never saw them again. They had my name on them too.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #27805
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will get it worked out. really looking forward to getting out this weekend and meeting some good people. I am parking my RIG (ford escape and trailor) at a family friends house, I would offer some space but it is not mine to offer and have never met them myself. I will need to figure out some security for the bike, probably a cable of some sort. Other bikes I have had I did not worry too much, but this thing is so flashy and light that it is a prime target. I just hope that others that are in the group have much nicer bikes for bait.

Rob,
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #27806
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
but this thing is so flashy and light that it is a prime target. I just hope that others that are in the group have much nicer bikes for bait.

Rob,

Nope, your's is IT

I'll bring the heavy cable.

If they can lift a Harley (mine) they can lift anything in 15 minutes or less.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #27807
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
So I have been looking for a possible place to hangout for the evening in Barstow close to the hotels as people arrive that is walking distance, just in case some adult beverages might be consumed. There is a “Night Club”, probably loud and not ideal. There is also an Italian restaurant / pizza place called DiNapoli's Firehouse. Hotel parking lot works too, just throwing out the idea of a known place to meet if they want to. Have no idea what the places are like as I have never been there. I normally scout out a brewery in the town that I am staying in and book a hotel close to it. No I do not drink much and have no intention of heading out in the morning hung-over, but it is cool to meet people before riding with them.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #27808
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
Gas station beer and room works for me.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #27809
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Gas station beer and room works for me.
And while your at the gas station getting beer, Tom can show you how to take a shower with the squeegee water.........just to freshen up a bit.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #27810
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
I've been wrenching on the DR...put on a new rear tire and noticed the wheel is cracked about a half inch. Thank goodness I have a spare set. Anyone know if my steel wheel can be welded? If yes, any shop recommendations?

I have an oil change left and I will be ready!
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote