ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #28006
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
That Mojave ride looked like a blast. I would have loved to ridden with you guys, but I had already planned a weekend Big Sur tarmac trip with my girlfriend (which had been delayed already once due to a rainy weekend up there).

A few photos from my weekend ride with her.

The bread and butter shot:

I might need to lower the F800GS just a hair if she ever wants to ride it...

Enjoying the view.

This was a very random encounter. A few months back my good friend Dom rode out here from MI, and his friend Jim who keeps his bike in AZ each winter met us out here for a ride. He told me to watch out for his friend who just moved to CA, and described him as a crazy older guy with long blonde hair on a 1200GS. Well look who stops to stay hi on the side of CA-33 as my girlfriend and I are taking a break. It gets interesting because it turns out he knows my dad well from selling him his latest BMW and also from the bike nights out there. Some of you might know him as Owen from Riverside BMW. The lady on the left also knows my cousin and Dad as well back in Ann Arbor MI. So here is a mini reunion of Ann Arbor natives, all the way out in CA by pure chance.

Here I am with Owen and Leah:
Looks like we were riding the same area last weekend. I was on Hwy 1 going south from Santa Cruz on Sat. I also had a random meeting when I stopped in Big Sur to check out a heavy loaded mini GS. Turned out to be a woman from Spain who is traveling around the world. Check out her story here; http://www.aliciasornosa.com/

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #28007
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
is any one interested to do re-run of Mojave Preserve this Friday and Saturday?

the general plan is to ride the 950SE... planing to do the ride dirt E and W..
please be advise, this will be long and sandy ride
have gas for 150 miles (don't forget the long sandy stretches that will increase gas consumption).. if needed plan on camping
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #28008
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 802
I've been watching this ride, have always wanted to do it. This weekend is out, I have a work thing, but could do next weekend and would be interested in camping off the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post

have gas for 150 miles (don't forget the long sandy stretches that will increase gas consumption).. if needed plan on camping
TwoWheelsGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #28009
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:

Nice...don't forget Tubes........
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #28010
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Nice...don't forget Tubes........
i have 2 front and 1 back... also repair kit.
now u know y i have all the extra weight on my 530...
same set up on the 950 just without the extra 1/2 gallon of gas..
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #28011
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Ride Report: Mojave Rd (Day 1)

Ersin and I decided to run the historically popular Mojave Trail since we have never ridden it before. We left Long Beach Friday morning around 10:30AM and headed up the 605:

Our plan is to ride a gps track provided by Rider914 sometime ago. It starts at the 15 & 138 (Trestles / Baldy Mesa staging area) and goes under the 15 through Adelantol...

Made it to the Slash X for burgers and beers. Cheers:

We arrived at our posh accommodations at Ye Old Quality Inn...

Tim pulled up around 7:00AM. He rode in from Henderson, NV. Says he left there around 1AM Nap time!

Morning round-up and chat...

The riders:
Tim (tbarstow)

Vern (vermon)

Rob (FZcruzer)

John (johngil)

Tony (toast)

Jon (riddler990)

Tom (El Zorrillo)

Jim (spafxer)

Mike (nowwhat)

Ersin (FYYFF)

Aram (Buster714)

John (jnyrav)

Louis (Sito)

RicH (M1Jeep)

Blasting down the I-15 towards a power line rd. Tim is leading...

It was a very fast and smooth road...

We crossed over to the east side of the I-15 north of Barstow into a wash which takes us to Afton Cyn...

FYYFF and Buster714 were having trouble with their big pigs in the deep sand box. It was like deep sand you find at the beach! A lot of fun for small to mid-size bikes though. Here is Tony lending some support to Ersin...

Ersin and Aram planned on turning around and meeting us in Baker where the group would gas up and have lunch.

Train spotting in Afton Cyn...

Waiting for several riders who were following Sito. It turned out they missed the turn for Shaw Pass and continued straight where a fence was blocking entrance to Soda Dry Lake.

Shaw Pass...

Nowwhat, Riddler990, and tbarstow went up this hill to check if they can see the rest of the riders...

We see nothing, so we continue several hundred feet up the trail to Soda Dry Lake where we all caught up with each other...

FYYFF and Buster714 met us here as well. They came down Zyzzyx Rd. Ersin said he does not want to miss the Travelers Monument to see what is written on the plaque.

Crossing the lake bed...

FZcruzer got the 1st flat of the trip. After taking this shot I happened to look at my front tire and noticed I have a flat also!

After fixing the flats a few miles from our pavement exit to Baker for fuel & lunch we made it to the pavement and slabbed it into town.

I did not get any pics of our Baker stop. Probably because it was so f-ing hot and I was too hungry and thirsty to take any pics. IIRC it was 92degrees in the sun there.

After lunch we jumped back onto dirt and continued down the Mojave Rd...

Near Kelso Cima Rd & Cedar Cyn Rd:

Sito at Cedar Cyn Rd fuel stop...

Rob...

At the Mojave Desert Outpost...

Toast...

spafxer and FYYFF...

Daylight is going quick and the shadows are growing longer by the minute. From here it was a high-speed dirt superhighway where the group had split up. We would see the light and fast riders later that night in Needles (around 9PM )

About 3 miles from reaching Hwy95 FYYFF got the 5th and final flat of the day. The flat tire victims were: FZcruzer, M1Jeep, nowwhat, FYYFF, and Sito.

Jim lending a hand...

We pulled into Needles around 9PM, checked-in, and stopped into Denny's next door for some dinner...

End of Day 1...

Day two up shortly...
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #28012
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
something we don't see very often......very nice ersin!

good job rich for putting together this ride. ...the RR by ersin and yours are awesome, nothing much i can do but be envious..... and glad to see that you guys didn't wasted another good weekend.

nice vid from buster.....ersin, i'm very impressed by your sand skill.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #28013
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
That Mojave ride looked like a blast. I would have loved to ridden with you guys, but I had already planned a weekend Big Sur tarmac trip with my girlfriend (which had been delayed already once due to a rainy weekend up there).

A few photos from my weekend ride with her.

The bread and butter shot:
isaac, good to see you're wearing out those street tires and see some bitching places......

i still have to get you the rear knobby, but first, figure out first how to get it here. anyway, i have a barely used metzeler karoo (from the hp2) in case you need one right away.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #28014
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Looks like we were riding the same area last weekend. I was on Hwy 1 going south from Santa Cruz on Sat. I also had a random meeting when I stopped in Big Sur to check out a heavy loaded mini GS. Turned out to be a woman from Spain who is traveling around the world. Check out her story here; http://www.aliciasornosa.com/

wow!

todd, i would quit my job and be her riding companion.....
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #28015
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
SNIP/ nice vid from buster.....ersin, i'm very impressed by your sand skill.
It was actually johngil. Don't worry, I won't even attempt a RR!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #28016
mishaparem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
You guys are making me drool. I live in North Edwards, (between Mojave and Barstow) sounds like I missed a fun trip. Re-modelling my house right now so I probably won't be able to ride out until the 12th at the earliest, but I could make a short trip to Mojave, Cal City, or even Lancaster to meet some of you face to face while I visit the closest Starbucks around (45min away from home!!!!!).
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #28017
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Nice! Chances are we did cross paths at some point I am sure...I didn't arrive up at Julia Pfeiffer until around 3pm though.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #28018
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:

this is going to be interesting.....

danny, i like to but have to do a lot of catching up at home; you guys have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
It was actually johngil. Don't worry, I won't even attempt a RR!

geeeee....thought ersin shed the orange color, was on steroid.....

he'll be the new klim poster boy when nowwhat's contract ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
bwahahahaa,.,,,if that is Ersin....he got shorter, heavier and faster....and changed clothes....and helmets...
aram, just teasing ersin. nowwhat blew it earlier.....

i destroyed my contour HD, need to get a gopro. don't know how long that thing will last.....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #28019
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

sorry.

do'nt want to interefere with the on-going RR and next weekend planning.

toroweap ride is still good, see upcoming rides in west for updates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=9

we can start talking about it next week.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #28020
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Ride Report: Mojave Rd (Day 2)

For day 2 we split into two groups - fast & light group, and the lolligaggers.

Day 2 started off at the local Napa Auto Parts for some chain lube. Ersin's chain sounded like a mill crushing ore!

There was five of us: FYYFF, johngil, spafxer, FZcruzer, and yours truly M1Jeep.

We headed to the Avi to begin the trail at its official beginning...

After a quick fuel stop we're back on the trail...

We opted to check out Ft. Piute. A shorty rocky climb led to this...

Looking back towards the group...

The Penny Can! Leave a penny when passing through for good luck.

Here is where I went airborne. I remember turning up the tunes, picking up the pace a little, riding through nice sweeping curves, then all of a sudden I come across two down-hill whoops. I was bouncing toward the left side of the road toward the cholla cactus, which I hit and continued across the small wash towards a Joshua tree. Last thing I remember is, "Avoid that tree at all costs!".

My front wheel hit the face of the little hill just to the right of the tree which sent me flying over the bars/right side of the bike. My chest protector hit and broke the windscreen and I ended up on the ground in front of the bike. I quickly got to my feet and checked my body for pain...NADA!

When I got home however, I noticed bruising on my right hip and left foot. The left foot must have hit the shifter because it was bent in afterwards. Two pics from today...

After catching my breath John and I straightened out the bars and were on our way again...

To the government holes:

Blasting down the dirt super-highway...

To avoid the several mile whoop section and to save time we opted for a power line road. Just make sure you close the gate behind you...

From the power line rd we hit Kelbaker Rd and slabbed it to Baker for fuel and lunch.

Rob:

Ersin:

Since it was mid-day Sunday the I-15 was bumper-to-bumper with Lost Wages traffic. johngil knew of a power line rd off Hwy 127 that parallels the I-15...

Somewhere along the trail I happened to lose my small yellow bag containing my clothes, black diamond led headlight, and a few power cords n' crap. John found it earlier in the day but not this time...

Ersin agreed to ride back with me to look for it while John, Rob, and Jim continued on to Barstow...

After 30-minutes or so it was on the side of the road, up the burm, and behind a bush. WTF?! No wonder nobody noticed it.

Turned around and ready to continue on towards Barstow...

Here is a view from a pass above from where the group split up and Ersin and I turned back to find my yellow bag. We split up about mid-way of that dry lake bed. We turned around went over those mountains back there, and 1/2 way through another valley. It was a haul for sure.

As the day went on, the shadows grew longer. We continued bombing down the power line road until we found a cross road that would take us to the Afton Cyn exit of the I-15.

After this shot my battery died (and it was getting dark anyways). After searching 3 gas stations for an 1157 tail light we were on our way. Ersin and I pulled into our neighborhood around 11PM. Tired, happy, satisfied, and dirty!

Thanks again for everyone who joined us on this ride. It was nice to finally ride this trail.

Next time I will do it a little differently and camp in the Mojave Natl' Preserve.

All my videos and photos can be viewed in their entirety on my My SmugMug

M1Jeep screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 05:35 PM
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote