ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #28021
catalina38
Contrarian
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Stingray bay CA.
Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
is any one interested to do re-run of Mojave Preserve this Friday and Saturday?

the general plan is to ride the 950SE... planing to do the ride dirt E and W..
please be advise, this will be long and sandy ride
have gas for 150 miles (don't forget the long sandy stretches that will increase gas consumption).. if needed plan on camping

Pm sent
__________________
A mangy man chasing a cautionary tale
Lurking more and posting less

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #28022
Vermon
not gnarly
 
Vermon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: smelLA
Oddometer: 306
...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
i have 2 front and 1 back... also repair kit.
now u know y i have all the extra weight on my 530...
same set up on the 950 just without the extra 1/2 gallon of gas..
...and more tubes, for your buddy's tires

And then see Riddler about his super fast technique, but in slow motion, cuz it's too fast in real speed

Or...just talk/pay Sito for a re-do...next year
Vermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #28023
sito
Where the Hell am I?
 
sito's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Glendora CA
Oddometer: 1,543
Bring on the Sand!
This was one of the most challenging rides I have done so far. The first super sand wash was tough. Turn out to not be that bad in the end, even started to have a little fun playing in the sand box. Playing and chasing Tony in the in the dunes was cool! (too bad we lost the rest of the group?)
Day one was long day a little warm but not that bad. I was able to hold onto the bike and started to relax more & more in the soft stuff. Turns out sand s not so hard as long as you’re going 40mph and don’t have to turn!

Day 2 was a little more challenging, body was sore as hell and my arms were turning to mush, lost the feeling in my hands in the first 50 miles. Add the warmer temp’s on Sunday and things stared to get a little more interesting for me. I was so relieved when I saw the HWY, I don’t think I had another 5 miles of sand left in me! My mind and body were so fried I kept finding myself trying to up shift and down shift my truck all the way home. (My trucks an automatic?)

Big thanks to Rich and Erisn for inspiring and leading this ride! Things may have not gone as planned but I know that we all had a great time. This was a tuff ride to pull off in just 2 days with such a large group with different bikes and different skills (plus all the add extras we never plan on “Seriously 5 flats between 13 bikes?”) I love these rides, great people looking out for each other doing what we all love. Can’t wait for the next one! (maybe a little less sand)
__________________
I'm a GPS Wizard follow me?
sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #28024
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer
 
M1Jeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Lakewood, CA
Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
Bring on the Sand!
This was one of the most challenging rides I have done so far. The first super sand wash was tough. Turn out to not be that bad in the end, even started to have a little fun playing in the sand box. Playing and chasing Tony in the in the dunes was cool! (too bad we lost the rest of the group?)
Day one was long day a little warm but not that bad. I was able to hold onto the bike and started to relax more & more in the soft stuff. Turns out sand s not so hard as long as you’re going 40mph and don’t have to turn!

Day 2 was a little more challenging, body was sore as hell and my arms were turning to mush, lost the feeling in my hands in the first 50 miles. Add the warmer temp’s on Sunday and things stared to get a little more interesting for me. I was so relieved when I saw the HWY, I don’t think I had another 5 miles of sand left in me! My mind and body were so fried I kept finding myself trying to up shift and down shift my truck all the way home. (My trucks an automatic?)

Big thanks to Rich and Erisn for inspiring and leading this ride! Things may have not gone as planned but I know that we all had a great time. This was a tuff ride to pull off in just 2 days with such a large group with different bikes and different skills (plus all the add extras we never plan on “Seriously 5 flats between 13 bikes?”) I love these rides, great people looking out for each other doing what we all love. Can’t wait for the next one! (maybe a little less sand)
Good times for sure! We ought to go back to that sand box for a sand training day sometime! It is BIG and wide enough so you don't have to worry about running off course
__________________
Rich
My Smugmug
My YouTube
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #28025
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermon View Post
...and more tubes, for your buddy's tires

And then see Riddler about his super fast technique, but in slow motion, cuz it's too fast in real speed

Or...just talk/pay Sito for a re-do...next year
that's ok, i ddi get to change tube or 2 in the dirt..
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #28026
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.
 
Riddler990's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Burbank,Ca.
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Good times for sure! We ought to go back to that sand box for a sand training day sometime! It is BIG and wide enough so you don't have to worry about running off course
That's a good idea Rich, was thinking the same thing, especially for the big bikes. I for one could use the time in the sand to gain the confidence and master it. It's one thing to "make it through" it's another to do it with control and confidence.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #28027
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.
 
Riddler990's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Burbank,Ca.
Oddometer: 525
Here's what I got:

Vernon doin' what he does!



stopping at the beginning of the sand wash.



Ersin,Rich,Rob



Vern,Mike,Jim. This shot just after Vern realized we were overnighting it in Needles, He left his clean chones in the truck.



Tim getting ready to hit it.



Jim at the first water crossing.



Toast going deep!



Rob on his new 500EXC.



Rich



Johngil



Rob makin' time.



The meet up at Soda Lake.



Nap time.



Don't do it!



Later in the day we crossed paths with Ersin and Jim. Perfect timing.



Only pict from day 2. Mojave Trail.



Thanks for putting this ride together Rich, Ersin. Even though we put some distance between the two groups, all worked out well, and all had a good time.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #28028
fudgypup
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post
That's a good idea Rich, was thinking the same thing, especially for the big bikes. I for one could use the time in the sand to gain the confidence and master it. It's one thing to "make it through" it's another to do it with control and confidence.
one way to get better at sand and that's riding more sand.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #28029
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,074
You guys can have ALL the sand, I hate fucking sand. Only ride it if I have to and not on a heavy bike. Whooped out sand is even worse.

What's with all the flat tires on your bikes anyway? Rocks or what? Don't tell me you got flats in the sand, really?
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RRLaguna Seca 2012 RRSequoia 3-Day CampoutThanksgiving 2012

browneye screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 08:58 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #28030
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.
 
Riddler990's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Burbank,Ca.
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You guys can have all the sand, I hate fucking sand. Only ride it if I have to and not on a heavy bike. Whooped out sand is even worse.

What's with all the flat tires on your bikes anyway? Rocks or what? Don't tell me you got flats in the sand, really?
There were some pretty heavy duty rock sections (pinch flats), and Nowwhat picked up a nail. I'm sure I don't need to tell you anything when it comes to riding, but I for one would rather not have sand be an issue in my riding ability. learn it, live it, love it! But that's just me. Plus I've been bitten by my 990 once, I would rather it not happen again.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #28031
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
As much as I want to go this weekend... My doc advised me to wait for another week.
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #28032
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,934
GREAT ride reports guys!!!


a lot of what you rode is on LAB2V.


you definitely want to do that ride!
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #28033
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You guys can have ALL the sand, I hate fucking sand. Only ride it if I have to and not on a heavy bike. Whooped out sand is even worse.

What's with all the flat tires on your bikes anyway? Rocks or what? Don't tell me you got flats in the sand, really?
Then you'd best not try to go riding in Baja. Blowing sand, hard sand, loose sand, wet sand, sand whoops, deep sand whoops, deep sand humungous whoops, sand with rocks, silt with sand with rocks, and beach sand.

The first 2 flats happened where we were coming through a lot of fast 2 track sand with rocks scattered through everything. You needed to pick: run high pressures and have less traction, or low pressures for traction but risk getting pinch flats.

The 990 going through the rocks before highway 95 I would guarantee getting a flat, like Ersin did.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #28034
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Then you'd best not try to go riding in Baja. Blowing sand, hard sand, loose sand, wet sand, sand whoops, deep sand whoops, deep sand humungous whoops, sand with rocks, silt with sand with rocks, and beach sand.

The first 2 flats happened where we were coming through a lot of fast 2 track sand with rocks scattered through everything. You needed to pick: run high pressures and have less traction, or low pressures for traction but risk getting pinch flats.

The 990 going through the rocks before highway 95 I would guarantee getting a flat, like Ersin did.
You are right. I forget to put air once we passes sandy section (west of Kelbaker). I rather have a little less traction then pinch flats and tacos... My front rim looks horrible now.
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #28035
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
My front wheel hit the face of the little hill just to the right of the tree which sent me flying over the bars/right side of the bike. My chest protector hit and broke the windscreen and I ended up on the ground in front of the bike. I quickly got to my feet and checked my body for pain...NADA!



When I got home however, I noticed bruising on my right hip and left foot. The left foot must have hit the shifter because it was bent in afterwards. Two pics from today...




After catching my breath John and I straightened out the bars and were on our way again...


All my videos and photos can be viewed in their entirety on my My SmugMug
hey rich, good to see no broken body parts....hope you feel better soon.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014